Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Avengers Blu-ray is listed as Widescreen edition but play as Full screen.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2012, 10:55:58 AM PDT
RDS says:
I prefer purchasing/watching in widescreen format (which I did because its listed as widescreen on the casing) and was very disappointed when I played the movie and it is displayed like a full screen version.

Does anyone feel ripped off? All my other Marvel movies are in widescreen format... why not this one?

Posted on Sep 27, 2012, 11:10:29 AM PDT
James W. says:
It would have to be widescreen since it's an HD format. There are different widescreen aspect ratios. I can't remember the ratios at the moment, but if it's filling up your widescreen HDTV without any stretching, it's widescreen.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012, 1:02:06 PM PDT
RDS says:
Really? I recently just purchased the Spiderman trilogy & The Incredible Hulk blu-ray which is in the traditional widescreen (visible black bars on both sides) and was disappointed when this was not the same format. Thanks for your reply. I guess the traditional format will soon be extinct.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012, 1:45:45 PM PDT
Zeemmarax says:
The more your know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012, 4:09:11 PM PDT
Shannan says:
I agree. I bought the 3D 4-disc version and it only played in fullscreen, cutting out a third of viewable area. I returned it to buy the blu ray version that actually says 'widescreen' on the box, but it will only play in full screen. I am sorely disappointed at this lame viewing experience. I want to return it again, but you know how retailers are about taking back open DVDs. I went through all the viewable screen options of the both DVDs, my blu ray player, my hdtv, and it won't play in widescreen, although when you view details it says it IS playing in 16:9 despite it playing in full screen mode. FRUSTRATING>

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012, 4:23:24 PM PDT
RDS says:
Thank you. At least someone knows how I feel. All my prior Marvel movie collection is the standard widescreen (I just bought The Incredible Hulk Blu-ray and was happy to watch it with the black bars) and very sad that out of all movies, "Avengers" had to be changed from what I'm used to watching. Boooooooo!!!!!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 6:27:25 PM PDT
OoAK says:
Simple answer..There's more than one widescreen format.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012, 6:57:19 AM PDT
Ravan says:
This movie is meant to fill your whole tv screen without the black bars. It isn't fullscreen folks! Thanks and have a nice day!

Posted on Sep 29, 2012, 8:16:56 AM PDT
S. Webster says:
It's not only not widescreen- it distorts on the vertical

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012, 2:50:46 PM PDT
The aspect ratio for this movie is 1.85:1 wich means its in a widescreen that will fill up your widescreen tv without the black bars on top and bottom. For that to happen (the black bars) the aspect ratio will have to be 2.35:1 like movies like Star Wars, Halloween, Superman, Spider-man etc. It just depends on the aspect ratio the film was meant to be see in by the directer, which there are many.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012, 6:01:53 PM PDT
ZZrider says:
I put the DVD in my DVD player and it has the widescreen black bars. The Blu-Ray doesn't which does take some getting used to. After watching both I prefer the bars.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012, 6:17:17 PM PDT
RDS says:
Thanks everyone for educating me on the different aspects of Widescreen. I just hope maybe one day that I will own a copy of The Avengers Widescreen Edition 2.35:1 (Black Bars).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012, 12:01:22 PM PDT
Why would you want Avengers in 2.35:1? It was shot in 1.85:1 so a 2.35:1 version would be missing part of the picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012, 8:15:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012, 8:19:38 AM PDT
Zeemmarax says:
You hurt my Brain, It was filmed in 1.85:1

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012, 8:17:02 AM PDT
Zeemmarax says:
RDS DUDE, come on the film is 1.85:1 It was filmed like that.

Posted on Jun 13, 2013, 2:03:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2013, 6:22:46 AM PDT
I'd like to add my 2 cents in this discussion about the so called "widescreen". The only real widescreen is the 2.4:1, the long rectangle, shot with anamorphic lenses, as in cylindrical in shape instead of spherical. Basically the front lens of an anamorphic one is more curved and captures more viewing area horizontally. The lens actually "compresses" by 50% a wider image on the 35mm film negative utilizing its full height. The aspect ratio on the negative will end up being at 1.2:1. You can recognize movies shot this way by the vertical stretch in shape of objects which are out of focus in a frame.
Then, there are 2.4:1 movies shot with spherical lenses, which are basically FAKE widescreens. The negative frame has originally more image available, but gets cropped in 2.4:1 for stylistic choice (Terminator 2, Matrix trilogy, Spider-Man 2 & 3). The theatrical print are still anamorphic, but they're like 70mm blow-ups.
Forget about "widescreens" and aspect ratios and just look for high image definition. IMAX 65mm horizontal negative is 1.3:1 but looks way better than 35mm anamorphic 2.4:1.
In the case of "The Avengers", it was shot digitally, so a 2.4:1 frame would be shorter than the full 16:9 original frame. Why would you want less?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about