Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Awake: Doing a World of Good One Person at a Time
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 30, 2012
Awake is a book that when I read it, I found myself putting it down several times because the author wants you to open your mind and heart to the seriousness of this broken world. In light of that, she wants the reader to not just be a spectator of in this world but to make the decision to be a participant in making the life of another person better. She provides throughout the book personal encounter with people from different countries around the world that she has personally helped earning her the right to call on others to join in...

The take away is that, the author realizes and notes in this book that it would take individual and collective commitment to invest in the life others in order to make this world a better place than we've found it.

This book can be understood by young and old, learned and unlearned. I highly recommend it!
on May 30, 2012
Like the cup of coffee pictured on the cover, Noel's book beckons the reader to sit for a moment and experience the process of awakening. Through her descriptive writing, your senses will wake up to the needs of the world. You'll see the faces of girls forced into prostitution; feel the helplessness of holding a dead child in your arms; hear the cry of babies who need rescued; and smell the aroma of the dump where children play in Guatemala. Finally, you'll taste the warmth of hope - knowing that you can make a difference by living fully awake.

The book is a captivating blend of information. It provides startling statistics of overwhelming hardships throughout the world. It then inspires with personal stories from those who have already been awakened and are making an impact. In 11 short chapters, Noel infuses the reader with the essence of worldwide suffering. She then concludes with practical ways to make a difference in chapter 12. At the close of the book, the reader is fully awake - aware of the tremendous opportunity to do a world of good. Stimulated to action, you'll never want to fall into a complacent slumber again.
on June 12, 2012
"Awake" by Noel Brewer Yeatts is an inspiring book. As I read her own personal experiences, that of a woman who has traveled the world making a difference in the lives of so many others, I am captivated by the humility in which she shows to those who are hurting. This book allows the reader to meet the people she has met that, according to her, have changed her life. No one can read this book and not change the way they see the masses of hurting people. Noel Yeatts makes it clear that although we cannot help the masses, we can help by investing in one person at a time. Through this the mass of hurt can be conquered. It makes the reader ask, "What if one person with excess reached out and shared with one person in need?" What a difference we all could make.
on March 13, 2015
We are using this book in our adult Sunday School class and everyone seems to be really enjoying it. We have committed to do something, one person at a time, each week and report back the results and bring in new challenges of things we can do to help others for the next week.
on May 26, 2012
I couldn't agree more with the previous reviews. Most of us are aware there are vast needs around the world. Our society is constantly bombarded with news reports of natural disasters and groups of people in crisis overseas. It is easy to feel overwhelmed with the magnitude of the needs and feel "stuck" not knowing how to help or where to start. AWAKE presents the most pressing humanitarian issues of our time through the lens of the spiritual vacancy of those who are suffering. At the end of this book you will no longer feel stuck, but feel empowered to reach out to those in physical and spiritual need. You will NOT be able to put this book down!
on May 25, 2012
"Awake" by Noel Brewer Yeatts is not only well researched and engagingly written; the author's expertise and life changing experiences make it captivating. It is one thing to write about the needs of the world; it is quite another to live what you have written. I opened it and did not close it until the last page. Awake, a perfect title... One of my best reads.
on June 11, 2014
I realized that each person is important and will make an impact on the world of other people. No reason not to try a smile even if for only one person. i really liked this book as an inspiring devotional reading.
on June 17, 2014
The book was okay. A little too much "god" and bible scriptures. Some good solid facts that are interesting but then it turned into a late night commercial to sponsor a child. For someone that has never really been out of the country and explored (and Christian) this book would be great.

It did have good facts that are eye-openers. The book was very easy to read and at times you wanted to keep reading.
on August 30, 2012
I was privileged to meet Noel recently. We kept in touch and she then sent me her book. I wasn't sure when I'd find time to open it but finally did. I finished it in just a few days because it held my attention and literally kept calling me back to read it! Not only that but she's a tremendous writer!

The stories that Noel shared were often heartbreaking and moving. I was especially moved by the stories about the contaminated water in countries and how it is harming millions. And you know how much it costs to provide clean water for someone? $15. FIFTEEN DOLLARS.

The theme throughout her book is that we can just do our part. Help that one person. Make a difference in someone's life. We don't have to save the world because we can't. But we can help save one.

You will be inspired, challenged and motivated to start being a change agent where you are when you read this book. And you'll be amazed at how little financial resources it takes to help someone else.

Think of what how much better our world would be if everyone would donate $15.
on March 5, 2014
First - I didn't purchase this on Amazon for the simple reason that I had never noticed it. I attended a presentation and the book was offered, so I purchased it there directly from World Help. The author is a big part of the organization World Help; but she is not using this a "sales pitch" for her organization. In fact, although there are probably some I missed, the only suggestion I saw was a URL reference to a different organization. That's not to say that this book isn't a call to action - because above all, it is.

The author does an excellent job of mixing facts regarding genocide, disease, poverty, lack of clean water and sustainable communities scattered across our world. Those are interspersed with personal stories of real people, their stories are compelling. They are their stories and they are often stories without hope. She shares her story, along with the story of others like her. Stories of her children, friends and associates. Stories of those who are motivated to offer justice and hope.

But in the end, the book is about your story. What is it? Are you happily going through life and don't give a care what it going on in Rwanda, Guatemala, Haiti, Uganda and all those other places where you only see pictures of small children and a button to donate? Then this is not a book you are going to want to read. Are you wondering what you need to do with your life and you want to be a success with a six figure income, then this book is not going to get you there. If you are unaware of what is happening in countries where millions live without hope, then I recommend this book as a starter, maybe coupled with "Love Does" by Bob Goff. If you are ready, searching for what's next in live and you are a person of faith, then I heartily recommend this book - with the cautionary note that you may be uncomfortable after you read it. It's a call to action, not education.

So, whatever your story is, or is destined to be, should determine if you select this book. All I can say is that it has helped, along with other circumstances in life, to motivate me toward action. My story isn't finished. Is yours?