Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
"Awake" is not an wholly original idea as Stephen King explored this idea in one of his short stories in which a person is mistakenly believed to be dead and is about to undergo his own autopsy. Here someone undergoes surgery while still awake and learns who his friends really are and aren't. Read the synopsis by Amazon as they did a very good and fair job. I'm going to take the real lazy way out this time and just go to my hits and misses.
1. Too slow at points. There is a lot of exposition (with good reason), but it is still a lot of exposition.
2. The acting is not consistent. Some are terrific and others are flat.
3. So many plot twists that one just can't give this film the "willing suspension of disbelief" that it needs.
4. It moves from romance to health crisis, to scientific wonders, to absolute fantasy. It attempts to cover too many genres. That whole out of body sequence is clever, but just way out of place in this film. It's like Brian's Song meets What Dreams May Come.
1. While not completely original (Sublime had many elements here), it is in it's own way. It is a very interesting film and it does have a few very good surprises.
2. Jessica Alba is finally in a role that isn't so cutesy. I thought she way quite convincing in her role.
3.Read more ›
From there it turns more conventional. Christiansen is the young her to an extremely large fortune, owning “half of Manhattan’s real-estate”, so think of the heir to someone like Donald Trump crossed with Rupert Murdoch or something. His character’s name is “Clay Beresford”. His dad had an accidental death in his prime and now the heirs to the estate are only Clay and his mother Lilith, played by Lena Olin-- until his gorgeous girlfriend Samantha (Jessica Alba) comes into the picture. He just knows his mother will disapprove and has been avoiding telling her, but they impulsively marry one evening. Besides the usual “mother-in-law” syndrome, mother might feel she’s unsuitable or even a gold-digger since she started out her assistant before becoming his girlfriend. We also learn that he’s in negotiation with a large Japanese corporation, rumored to have links to Yakuza, to purchase one of their assets.
Oh how could we forget to mention he has “cardiomyopathy” and even had an MI and bypass surgery a year or 2 ago? And his young black surgeon Jack Harper (Terrence Howard) has him on the transfer list as he needs a heart transplant or his life expectancy is quite limited.
Later in the night after his marriage, his special pager goes off: a donor heart is available.Read more ›
average. All in all interesting and ok to watch but don't expect to be wide awake at the end.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If not for the offensive language, this movie would have been perfect!Published 1 month ago by Stacy
I saw this and i was very impressed. Move was real good to be B+Published 2 months ago by Marcus-allen T.
Good movie. But it kinda freaked me out a bit. If you have health anxiety don't watch haha.Published 2 months ago by IloveJesus!
It was very predictable. Not quite the "thriller" I was expecting.Published 3 months ago by MStalls