Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

Awakened
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 25, 2012
So I've been listening to AILD since An Ocean Between Us (favorite album by the way), and I must say. This is an awesome album. I would say this album is the brutal breakdowns and thrash of Shadows are Security with the technicality of Powerless Rise. The album production is awesome, which I was worried it wasn't going to be with Adam D. not doing it. Nick solo's have DRASTICALLY improved, and the breakdowns are not the same as every other band. Overall, awesome album, quickly becoming my second favorite on just a few listens.

NOTE: There is alot more singing in this album, almost to the point of Killswitch Engage's level a couple times. I don't mind it, but some people might.
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 15, 2014
In spite of the legal drama surrounding lead vocalist Tim Lambesis over the past year, I'm still a huge fan of As I Lay Dying's music, and this album is no exception. In fact, this may have been their best effort up to this point, with An Ocean Between Us Trailing close behind. Upon first listening, the main thing that stands out is that the lead guitar playing is leaps and bounds beyond what it was on previous albums. Even in the interview/documentary about the making of the album, guitarist Phil Sgrosso says that he responded to questions regarding what the band did differently this time around by saying "Just check out the shredding!". Nick Hipa, the other guitarist in the band, later mentioned in the interview/documentary that his main personal goal for the record was to continue to hone in on and improve upon his playing style, which he certainly does.
Aside from the huge step up in lead guitar quality, the record contains everything you'd expect from an As I Lay Dying record: alternating between Tim's brutal harsh vocals and Josh's melodic cleans, sophisticated breakdowns often incorporating unusual rhythms / time signatures, technical yet melodic (and often harmonized) guitar leads, fast/aggressive (often "thrash" inspired) riffs, and a superb sense of songwriting. None of the songs feel long-winded, dull, out of place, or like a rehash of another song on the album, and there is absolutely no filler. Literally the only complaint I have is that the obnoxiously poppy break on track two,"A Greater Foundation", sounds incredibly out of place and almost ruins an otherwise amazing song. Other than that, I highly recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of metal in general, as this album is leaps and bounds beyond the quality of your run of the mill "metalcore" record. Those who are already familiar with As I Lay Dying's music in general will not be disappointed either.
on October 12, 2012
I've listened through this album about 10 times. For me, I really liked parts of songs, but rarely felt they nailed any particular song start to finish. My favorite tracks are 'No Lungs To Breathe', 'Wasted Words', and 'Resilience'. I thought the breakdown in the middle of 'No Lungs' (around 2:30 mark) was the most incredible and powerful part of the album with awesome chord progressions. An example of a song I like part of is 'A Greater Foundation' which is a really good track, although the choppy power chorded clean vocal parts didn't work for me. Same with the poppy clean vocals at the beginning of 'Defender'. I took another listen to Powerless Rise and thought it had better flow in most songs, I generally favored the even numbered tracks as they weren't as blistering and hard as the odd numbered tracks, but overall a great body of work. I also thought the leads were every bit as good on Powerless as Awakened, if not better, other reviewers seemed to favor the leads on Awakened. The clean vocals on Awakened were a tad too frequent and poppy for my tastes and in some instances detracted vs. added to otherwise brilliant songs. Oceans and Powerless were truly defining albums for AILD (I liked Shadows too, but it's totally different since it's so raw). Awakened attempts to continue to further branch out. Although it is mostly a success, I think it fell slightly short of their previous work, but they set the bar WAY up there! They're right at the top of their genre, however you define them. Fans should get this album as they'll find enough to like and they'll probably gain some new fans with the added clean vocals, even if the clean vocals aren't always my favorite on this album, they do add variety.
on February 10, 2014
Very solid album from one of my favorite metal artists. Not as good as 'An Ocean Between US' or 'The Powerless Rise', but still a respectable album that has me coming back to it occasionally.
It's too bad Tim Lambesis will probably 'go away' for a long time after trying to hire an undercover cop to murder his wife. It's also a pity he gave up being a Christian... I always thought being a badass was the best way to live for God. Oh well.
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 9, 2012
I go in and out of metal phasis in my life and when I bought this album I was curb-stomped by the sound of metal coming down on me like the foot of the metal gods above. The screaming is of a thousand trumpets summoning for the worlds end. The guitars shriek with such power it could shape a mouton into a loin ripping out its preys heart. The drums could crush said mouton with such force forging a diamond so dense a black hole could be put to shame. No one hears the bass but I'm sure it kicks as much rear as the rest of the band.
on December 8, 2012
I am not much of an expert at analyzing metal album. I just know if I like them or not. This album is simply amazing. I love how heavy the instruments are, I love breakdowns, and I love both the screaming and clean vocals. If I had to choose a favorite song, it has to be Resilience.

Compared to All That Remains new album, this album blows ATRs album into a million pieces.

If you like As I Lay Dying, you will love this album. If you like heavy metal with vocals you can understand (sort of), then this album is for you.
on March 9, 2014
I haven't heard an album this good in a long time. This is easily their best effort, and is better than cassia albums from other bands, like Messengers by August Burns Red, or Horizon by Parkway Drive.

Nick and Phil are always riffing in Awakened. The riffs are deeper and more textured, and the soloing has matured.
on April 14, 2013
Bought a vinyl version of this and I'm really happy. This is a great album and As I lay Dying did a great job. Nice and heavy!
on January 4, 2013
From 2004 when I saw these guys live I bought everything they had recorded. They were a very heavy band and I loved it. Now they have strayed away from that constant in your face hardcore style. It's not a bad thing though. They're still a solid band. I'll for sure enjoy listening to this album. Bands change. It's how they increase their fan base. Deal with it.
on August 31, 2017