Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on October 26, 2015
Pema Codren is well known for her "accessibility" the the Western Mind--disseminating thoughts and beliefs Buddhist character to those perhaps unintroduced. This book offers the reader wonderful stories and advice and is great as a daily reader to read again and again. A positive approach. Very nice.
on January 4, 2015
One of the best introductions to Buddhist philosophy. Fits in a pocket, backpack or purse. Appropriate for anyone, regardless of personal religious views. I keep buying this book and giving it away. Can't say enough to recommend it. 6 Stars!
on August 7, 2016
I love everything thing of hers that I have read. Kind old soul. Filled with mindfulness and lovingkindness. I like to carry this with me.
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2005
This tiny book is an abridged version of "Wisdom of No Escape," Ani Chödrön's first major work. Ani is a title for Buddhist Nuns or Bhikshunis. She is spiritual director of Gampo Abbey (named for the medieval master Gampopa). However, only 4 chapters were excluded. Its size is conducive to carrying it around with you for inspiration or to share with others (I tend to give away books after reading them). Its major points include: not preferring samsara (the usual, relative world) to nirvana (the ultimate world), integrating taught and experienced Dharma (teachings), (p. 122): playfulness-learning to play like a raven in the wind, Tonglen (sending and receiving practice), Bodhichitta (compassion), and the wheel of life. It includes some less than obvious observations such as:

p. 28: "the desire to change fundamentally a form of aggression toward oneself...If you throw out your neurosis, you also throw out your wisdom."

p. 60: Life is such a miracle, and a lot of the time we feel only resentment about how it's all working out for us."

It also includes some of her wonderful teaching stories:

pp. 65-7: samurai who asked a master to explain heaven and hell

pp. 75-7: God with ½ red and ½ blue hat walking down the middle of a street.

So, you can read "Wisdom of No Escape" for completeness, but consider owning a copy of "Awakening Loving Kindness" too.
on April 2, 2013
I consider Chodron my spiritual teacher even though she's never heard of me! I have taken her work and her teachings--her huge library of recordings and digital films and her many many books into my life, my heart, my practice and my spiritual pathway. She has led me all along the way and in the past five years I can safely say I would not have made it without her.
on February 11, 2017
Nice gift for friends
on April 17, 2008
Pema Chodron makes Buddhist tenets accessible through her wonderfully clear writing. The pocket size of this book is very pleasing.
on September 1, 2016
Pema always great and very helpfull!
on June 5, 2013
I gave this 5 stars because Pema Chodron is an amazing teacher. After listening to any of her CDs or reading any of her books, I come away a more mindful person. I feel that I have more love & peace internally as we'll as to share with everyone else and all living things.
on November 10, 2013
This book was highly recommended by my husband's therapist so I purchased it for him some time ago. Unfortunately, he has not read it. The small size may have been a deterrent. However, the title alone has often been a source of conversation.