Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
on May 20, 2017
I have grown fond of Michel Ocelet movies in the past year and a half and this one has got to be one of his best in my opinion. It was cute plot wise and visually stunning and as anyone who loves fairy tales can tell you followed that outline to the letter.It is a story of 2 brothers bound in circumstance if not blood and it was wonderfully told.
on September 26, 2012
Azur and Asmar is a beautifully animated story for children and adults that incorporates issues of prejudice, multiculturalism, religion and superstition into a story about the rivalry of two "brothers" whose shared dream is to free the Jinn Fairy. It is marvelously illustrated and there are lessons for people of all ages in it. My grandchildren love to watch it, and they are very young (pre-school and kindergarteners). The colors are superb. Michel Ocelet is a master not only of animation, but of story-telling in a way that allows the viewer to use their imaginations even as they watch the story unfold. I highly recommend "Azur and Asmar: The Princes' Quest" along with "Kirikou and The Sorceress"Kirikou and the Sorceress and "Kirikou and the Wild Beast." I only wish the latter was also in English instead of French with sub-titles. But all three videos are fabulous journeys into the world of story telling that can be enjoyed by people seeking more multicultural perspectives.
on December 25, 2015
First seen at African Film Festival 2008 in Portland Oregon. Only the college libraries offered to the public. Now in children's section of local library. Bought it and love the colors, the story is superb, adventure and the feeling of truth.
What's good: Characters, including the ones who have to deal with prejudice. Plot, with enough depth to keep a grownup interested. Backgrounds and characters other than human, brilliantly colored and evocative, with some incredible imagery. Costumes, especially Jenane's servants.

What's not: The human characters are animated using some software package that lacks expression, subtlety, individuality, credible motion, and pretty much everything else that brings an animated character to life. I found that especially disappointing in the most important characters of the whole movie.

On the whole, the good parts got me past the not-so-good. It was a bit like having a lush meal at an otherwise wonderful restaurant, and seeing a roach run across the floor - a real damper on what could have been such an enjoyable experience.

-- wiredweird
on December 27, 2016
I saw this movie on the big screen, and it was so beautiful and magical I had to buy it for kids around me. The story of two friends, almost brothers, and their rivalry; the wealth of different cultures. Wonderful animations, great story, that children (and adults) will be happy to watch again and again...
on January 8, 2010
to the previous reviews, just wanted to add my five stars and echo the praise already posted. This movie is absolutely beautiful. The colors are a feast for your eyes!!!

My only critique is a small one, and I'm not sure whether this was only because I watched it on my computer and not the plasma TV: about halfway through the movie, I noticed that some of the horizontal lines were wavy and moving. This occurred in a few different scenes...the first was when Azur reconnected with his mother and she provided a feast for him... the table edge was wavy and moving. I watched half of the movie on my laptop, and when the horizontal lines appeared and were really distracting me, I moved to my desktop PC instead. Although I could still see it on my PC, it was not quite as obvious nor distracting. In fact, I started not even noticing it after a while, and maybe it even stopped altogether.

This issue might not occur at all when I watch it on the plasma TV. Maybe it was a small defect in the film, or maybe it was a defect in my DVD... I'm just not sure.

At any rate, this small flaw in no way influenced my overall impression of the movie. Five stars.
on October 8, 2013
The meticulously drawn backgrounds and beautiful artwork and amazing colors make this movie more than just a cartoon. It is a work of art. And while the story is simple on the surface, it has depths, like a myth; that is why it is a movie for all ages.
What is impressive is the intertwined fate of Azur and Asmar, who are of different races, backgrounds, and (probably) religions, but are linked by a bond of brotherhood, having been raised by the same woman. A mysterious song that they both heard in their nursery days and never forgot serves to set them on a common path. All of the pieces of this movie fit together like a beautiful mosaic.
on December 25, 2012
Americans may not understand it fully as it is talking about the relations between the French and North Africans, which is especially relevant as to the large population of Moroccans, Algerians and Tunisians in France (or people of those descents). This film caries nonetheless a beautiful - and universal - message of tolerance, which can easily be transposed to American and Hispanic relations. The graphic design of the animation is unique and beautiful. On a high definition screen, the colours are breathtaking. Great soundtrack. The story is told both in French or English and Arabic, with no subtitles for the latter, but it is pretty self evident and ads to the message. Enjoy!
on April 24, 2017
I had been searching for this video for quite some time and was delighted to finally find it on Amazon. Loved the story, family is family. Brilliant art and colors.
on September 4, 2016
I really don't remember why, but it moved to the back of the cabinet and just never came back. I know, this is a pathetic review, but once we watch it again, I'll update my review.