Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard|Change

Showing 1-10 of 693 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 950 reviews
on October 21, 2014
... but I merely liked it. This is a very hard to score game. On the one hand, the production values are amazing, and there's a lot of effort put into this. I can't accuse the game for being lazy, perhaps for trying to be too much at once?

Beyond: Two Souls is the story of Jodie, a girl who since birth has been mentally linked to an unstable, intangible and telekinetic entity called Aiden. Suffering from a lonely childhood she is then studied and recruited as a special agent, using her special ability to do missions no one else can. But when she's forced to do something that hurts her very soul, she abandons and becomes a fugitive.

What to say about this game? First, let's go with the positives. The main draw of this game is, of course, the presence of celebrities Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, both of whom do an amazing work of acting their respective roles, magnified by the amazing motion capture and animation work, making these characters seem really alive.

The visual style of this game is superb. Sometimes the realism achieves impressive levels, and you'd swear this was actually filmed instead of animated (I can already picture some creeps kissing their TVs. Don't do that, it's mentally and physically unhealthy). Of course, the cinematic nature of this particular genre helps this feel like a movie, which was surely the intention. The story has an interesting subtext (more than one), and it's very easy to grasp, so it's nothing that feels unnecessarily complicated.

Unfortunately, that's where the good stuff ends. Not to say the rest is bad, but it's mostly mediocre, which frankly, I think it's worse. Let's start with the control system. As a fan of the developer's previous game in the same genre, Heavy Rain, I was really excited for this one. And, at the beginning I thought it'd be a better experience. Heavy Rain's control system was simple, but sometimes required playing Twister with your fingers. The system is even simpler this time, which is a blessing at first, but ends up making the gameplay feel even more than a collection of Quick Time Events, so this largely escapes the category of "game" and enters "interactive movie" territory.

Second, the story. It's not bad or anything like that, it's just unoriginal and extremely convoluted. In fact, instead of one interactive movie, it feels like several, many of them belonging to a different genre. At a point you're in the middle of a slasher flick, then you're in a war movie, then in a fantasy film, then in a romantic one, then in a family drama, then in a sci-fi adventure, etc, etc, back and forth. This is no error of the developing team either, as they have claimed it was intentional, to make it feel more like real life. Problem is, real life has no narrative, that's why films, games and any other entertainment media are divided into genres.

This problem is exacerbated by the curious decision of presenting the story in chapters out of order. So the game asks us to get emotionally involved with characters we don't yet know much about. I guess it's not really that much of a problem since almost all of the characters are incredibly tired stereotypes. You can easily recognize after just a few words of dialogue in which films you've seen this character already. And it's not just that they're tired, they're unrealistic. Villains who do things just "for the evulz", kids who will act like psychopaths rather than normal bullies, a person who lost her voice in an incident and spends the day staring at the nothingness, etc.

The situations and dialogue suffer from the same problem of excessive familiarity. I'd say that too many times throughout the game you'll feel a strong sense of déjà vu, but a déjà vu implies a possibility, while here is patently obvious that you've already experienced most of this.

The only character that's not technically a stereotype is Jodie, and that's because, unfortunately, she's a Mary Sue. Each and every one of the character's problems are caused by someone else, as she seems incapable of making bad decisions or having defects (save for one incident, that feels too shoehorned due to how different the rest of the game is). If someone is against her, that person is either evil or wrong. If there's a place where people have problems, she will show up out of the blue to solve them. Whenever she does something wrong, it's because she was tricked into doing it. This absolutely robs Jodie of the ability to be sympathetic. It's a testament to how likable Ellen Page is that you don't feel so infuriated that you'll throw the game's disc away in disgust.

Then there's the gameplay. While it seems just the same as it was in Heavy Rain (specially as it uses the same control system), they've stripped away a major part of what made it so good: choice. This game is extremely linear, specially compared to Heavy Rain. Here, almost nothing of importance is left to you. Let me present you three situations in the game: a) you have to get ready for a date; b) you have to socialize with other kids in a birthday; c) you have to kill a warlord.

In (a) you can choose what to cook, what to wear, what music to listen to and wheter to clean the place or not. Most of these decisions have no outcome in your date, as it actually depends on previous and/or later decisions. In (b) you are invited to dance by someone, you can accept or refuse, and all it changes is the dialogue, as you'll end up dancing anyway. In (c) you have no choice. You have to kill the man to advance the story.

So, as you see, you either have total control over small, pointless decisions, or you have the illusion of control even though the outcome doesn't change or you have no control at all, specially in the most important decisions. This might not be a problem with another game in the genre, but when a game pretends so hard choices are important, specially when it comes in the heels of another game which fulfilled that promise, it's a severe step down.

It's really a shame, and I have no doubt that people are giving this game a better score than it deserves (many reviewers here admit as much) due to the fantastic presentation or the star power, but I have to be honest here. This game is good, yeah, but it's not fantastic, not great, not even VERY good. Just good.
on March 16, 2015
Add a story if you're a fan of Quantic Dream's work.

I've been a fan of QD for a while. I didn't play their first game on the PS1, but I quite enjoyed Indigo Prophecy, which was a flawed but magnificent monster of a game that started out strong but fell apart in the last third. And of course I loved Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain was actually the first game I played on the PS3, and is probably my favorite overall, or at least in the top 5. You are probably going to see a lot of comparisons to Heavy Rain in my review, as well as in any review of Beyond: Two Souls - and rightfully so since it is a huge step backwards.

B:TS is a quasi-interactive game that focuses on a young lady, a tragic protagonist who has the unique gift/curse of being tethered to a ghost, to which see is psychically and spiritually linked. That tethering allows her to see things no one else can see, and to cajole her ghost to do things that no one else can do.

I say "quasi-interactive" because, while you have the opportunity to make choices, those choices really do not have consequences. Which is what distinguishes this game from Heavy Rain. In Heavy Rain, you played several different characters, and their individual choices could lead to markedly different story outcomes - whether they live or die, whether they save the kidnapped boy or not, whether the bad guy is stopped or lives to kidnap another day. Here, you are only playing one character (two, if you count Aiden). Your choices are limited to whether you go right or go left in a fight, whether you say one thing or another, whether you pick up an object and look at it or not. But there are no lingering differences. You survive no matter what, and the story unfolds in precisely the same manner either way. Even one of the bigger choices of the game, whether you get revenge on a half dozen bullying kids at a birthday party, has no additional impact beyond the end of that scene.

Given that lack of choice, whether one likes the game really turns on whether the story is good. So... is the story good? The answer is... yeah, it's good. Not necessarily good enough to passively watch most of the time, but good. The acting is extraordinary, and here is where I credit Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe, the other actors, and anyone behind the motion capture. They really nail the characters in this game. Page herself delivers what might be the best video game performance I've seen in a video game that was not Last of Us. If it was ever thought that voice and motion capture acting in video games was not an art form, QD puts that to rest right here.

The problem is that the story is not necessarily as immersive as it seems to want to be. The story is presented out of chronological order at different parts of Jodie's life. And by that, I don't mean flashbacks; flashbacks generally involve a sequence of past events running concurrently with the present events. No, B:TS presents the protagonist's life completely out of order. So you may start at the end when Jodie is 32, then jump back to when she is 16, then back to when she is 8, then forward to when she is 12, and so on. The reason for this is apparently to allow the player to feel like Jodie: disconnected from people, always on her own, ill at ease, a stranger in her own life. But the problem is that it serves as a stark reminder that nothing you do in this game affects anything that happens at any other time. Where you will be, and in what condition, when you are an adult is not even slightly modified by the choices you made as a child or teenager or young adult.

Mind you, one can say the same about a number of video games, which is why video games have action, and challenge, and the possibility of death.

And yet, there are moments of near-greatness in this game. For instance, there was one chapter where you find a Navajo ranch and you live with them for a few days. There is a genuinely creepy mystery that only you can solve. The dramatic weight of the story mixed with the solitude of the location and the relative silence of the Navajo family sets an eerie tone. Ironically, the game tends to shine during the chapters that aren't pushing the central plot forward: like at the afore-mentioned birthday party, or where Jodie helps a homeless girl deliver a baby. But during the more integral chapters, like when you are investigating the scene of a botched government experiment, or are evading the feds, the feeling of being on a set, predetermined path is more evident, and thus more frustrating.

This may seem like I'm down on the game. And I guess I am, sorta. The truth is I quite enjoyed it - but I enjoyed it more because it was different from the norm than because of the game's own merits. Most of the time, I just wished I was playing Heavy Rain.
on December 26, 2016
Game won't load. Total waste of my time. That is two games for Christma's for my husband and they will not work.
on July 7, 2017
If you enjoyed Heavy Rain developed by Quantic Dream then this is another game by the same Development team that sits pretty high on my list of best PS3 games, you get great performances by Ellen Page and William Dafoe as they voice Jodie and Nathan Dawkins it's worth checking out if you like Choice based games that feel more like a movie then an actual game.
on December 15, 2013
I have Platinumed this game, and it wasn't because i really enjoyed the story but because i didn't want to start a new game before i went on a trip to europe.

Story: For an interactive story based game, this game forgot that what makes these types of game special is the variety of scenarios i can get my character in through my own choices. This game gives the illusion of choice, but after playing the game to platinum i can officially say there are really only a few choices that can be made and most end in exactly the same way. I'm a huge heavy Rain fan, and this game fails in every way that made that game special. There are moments just like in Heavy Rain that are really moving, but the lack of permanent death, and how the story is told out of order forcing any one choice from having any meaningful impact on the scenes that follow it. One of the things that i loved about heavy Rain was to see how my combination of choices influenced the following scenes. This game, has none of that mystery or excitement in a second play through, because each scene is predetermined. On the over all story, parts were nice, mostly the first half for me, and the last few scene before the end, but the middle was nothing more then filler.

GamePlay: The game play has been streamlined since Heavy Rain and mostly for the better. But the choices of how to go about a fight scene have been completely removed and your left with one choice, win or fail. if your fail Aiden will step in and simple save you... it a little to simplified. I miss being able to choose if i want to hit the bad guy with the lamp or kick him.

That said i loved playing as Aiden. He can do basically three things, one: piss off the characters around him by messing with the surroundings. Two: Kill people for Jodie. Three: Solve really basic puzzles, like open the cookie jar. But messing with people is fun, and when he's let loose the game shines, sadly the result is always the same story wise.

Replay: this has little to do with my over all score but should be noted for anyone thinking about trophy hunting this game. None of the dialogs can be skipped, expect to watch the same thing, over and over again. you can do chapter select, but it starts from the beginning of that chapter, and a few chapters take an hour to complete... I watched the Full second season of American Horror Story on my second play through. But on a positive note or if you want to call it that, you can leave go to the bathroom, or make some dinner and the scene will carry on, Jodie just keep talking, even if i didn't choice an answer. But I must stress because the variety of the game is heavily lacking, replay never seems to change the results of the gameplay.

Over all the graphics are really nice, and it makes me excited to see what they'll be able to do on the PS4 for their next game. The story, is actually nice for the first play through mostly, but don't expect the story to change enough on the second play through to be interesting. I paid $25 on black friday and it was worth it, but if i paid full price I'd been disappointed.
on September 4, 2014
Ok so this game hit me in the feels a couple of times. I loved the story, loved that the entity protected her since she was little, and at the end I never thought he was the... (Not saying, don't want to ruin the ending.)

I give the game 10/10. The graphics are beautiful, the characters looked real and the story line was awsome.

Took me a couple of times to learn which way I was supposed to move the analog to avoid getting hit since sometimes I thought I moved it the correct way but it wasn't, after a while I got the hang of it and it was a piece of cake!

Definitely recommend the game. I lend it to my cousin and she loved it too, so its a 10/10 from her as well.
on July 23, 2015
I really enjoyed this game for it's story, it was excellent. Ellen Page did a good job as the protagonist, as well as the supporting actors.

However, the gameplay in this game is severely lacking. Extremely lacking. As in, not there. The gameplay consists of walking slowly without the ability to pan the camera, and quick time events. The quick time events could especially annoying when fighting, because you are suppose to push the stick in the direction Elli-I mean Jodie is moving, but sometimes it very hard to tell. Is she going back the dodge the kick? Down to duck under it? To one side? Maybe towards it to block? Not that this really matters, because as far as I can tell, you can't die in the game. I'm sure you can, but I never got close to dying. The most trouble I ever had was when I didn't notice that a cutscene had ended and I was suppose to be fighting now, but even then I didn't die.

So you might think, why are you giving this game 4 stars if the gameplay wash atrocious/non existent? Because I knew going in that this game was a movie that you control small parts of. The story was good enough to keep me playing to the end. There were a few bits that I found a bit unnecessary, like Jodie's teenage goth rebellion phase, and an awkward date level, involving cooking dinner and choosing what to wear. I also liked some of the choices you had, for example at the party scene early on when you can take revenge or not(always take revenge)

All in all great game for the story, no gameplay, almost be a movie with a few choices. I would like for a story driven game more like TLOU, with a story and good gameplay, but you can't have everything.
on December 26, 2014
I loved this game, for the game itself.... At least the parts I got to play. I thought this would be a great game to play with my fiance and I knew he's wanted it for a while now. We got it, started it and had no troubles until the Homeless chapter when it suddenly started freezing and refused to load. Then when we shut off the PS3 and tried loading it again, it wouldn't even load to the home screen, just a daunting black screen. We had to restore the PS3 and lose our data. I wasn't even upset about having to start over until it wouldn't load past the first chapter.

Normally, I would assume that this was a hardware error, except that there are innumerable forums about Beyond Two Souls having these issues for EVERYONE. So if it doesn't happen to you in at least some small way, consider yourself lucky.

I love the story and the characters and the situations and would love to update this review if I find some magical solution and manage to play through the game. Until then, three stars only for glitchy game.
on October 22, 2013
I am not what you would call a serious gamer so I think I may have enjoyed this game more than most. But I must say even for me, this game was very short more like a movie than game. You should know that going in.This is not your typical video game. All that being said,It was amazing the graphics,the story and the acting were outstanding. Loved the interaction with Jodi and Aiden. Sometimes I did have problems with the controls on Aiden but as I said, I am not a true gamer so most of you may not have any trouble. The story is where this game shines the most. The life of a girl who has supernatural gifts that lead her from basically being a lab rat to the CIA to Homeless, and more along the way. I played Heavy Rain and this is on par with that but on the down side it really short. So, Would I buy it again, at full price? YES! Because from the opening scene, the story pulled me in. You can tell that everyone involved in Beyond Two Souls wanted this game to be an experience that would touch the player on a personal level and that is what it did for me. I cared. My emotions were involved.For me that is a game worth my money. If you just want blood, killing and fighting, this game is not for you. This was art. Games like this will keep me a Play Station owner and coming back for more.
on December 27, 2015
Before I get into why I gave this game a 5 Star rating you should understand what this product is. It is not a video game, but rather an interactive movie. You make choices as you follow and affect how the story unfolds. There are (I believe and may be wrong) 28 different endings depending on your choices. If you like games that are choice based and not looking for a first person shooter or RPG, then this is your game.

The story and acting is great, the choices and diversity that is given to the player are numerous. You have replay-ability that will have you going back making different decisions just to see how characters and events change. It can be a bit creepy, but not nearly as bad as most thriller/horror games I've seen and played.

It is a great story that will change upon your decisions and for that alone made this game so much fun to play over and over. Just understand that there is very little in terms of playing an action based type game, but there are moments that the game incorporates aspects of a traditional FPS.

Have fun!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.