Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno BCA Month Salon Beauty

Customer reviews

BOB Ibex Plus Suspension Trailer (Includes Dry Sak)

on March 13, 2017
Item arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Assembled easily. Tracks like a dream. I haven't loaded it up and taken it on an extended trip (that's later this summer), but I am very happy with it and the quick release skewer allows me to use it on several bikes (with additional skewers, of course).
All in all, very happy with my purchase.
on October 21, 2011
Purchased to use on Rails to Trails and single track Mountain Bike trails. This trailer pulls easy. I load it with all camping gear needed plus extras. I would not be with out this trailer it works better then panniers for me.
on December 4, 2013
I have used this trailer on the Great Divide trail, carrying 40-50 lbs for days on end. It is bombproof. In heavy muddy conditions the mud will pack between tire and frame. A minor inconvenience but be aware of it.
on May 30, 2013
When I began my time here on the small, rugged, volcanic island of Dominica, the Nature Island of the World, I realized I would need special gear to navigate daily chores. It was with eager anticipation that I awaited the delivery of this trailer, all whilst dodging hairy eyebrows from my wife.

When the shipment finally arrived, 26 lbs of baby food (its a customs joke) I could hardly contain my joy. However, there was a few days of lag from tearing opened the box and actually installing the trailed because, although the bike I had purchased shipped two weeks prior to this trailer, the trailer beat the bike to the island by a week!

Upon reassembly of my newly purchased Giant ATX 880 (a true classic hard tail), the trailer was hitched I we were bombing down Moo Cow Road (that's really the name of my Road!) at break-neck pace! I read the directions carefully and made note of the suggested speed limit of something like 40kph, of course, I pay no attention to these things and just like driving my U-Haul trailer behind my RAV-4 at 140kph, this thing handles like it is on rails. I also read the 30kilo weight restriction and while I would not just go around blatantly disregarding the suggestions from people who engineer stuff professionally, I can say, if you are a well developed male rider with a great sense of balance, who bikes quite a lot, you may be able to get away with more. I won't go into just how much more (perhaps 70 kilos would be trouble for the fork) but you may be able to handle more than 30 kilos, thats all I will say.

So, then my wife is saying, "I wish I could use your trailer, but I can't ride your bike." Now the truth comes out! My wife, fortunately, has a folding bike which was easy to get to the island of Dominica. When we first got here, this became my main means of transportation and it was just before making a daring descent down a 70 foot slope that I read a little black box Warning: This is NOT a Mountain BIke!

It was as though God was saying, you are too big, and too brutal for this equipment on this island. So, good for the wife, maybe, not so good for me, probably not good enough for a trailer, either. So... I ordered a second B.O.B. trailer, this time opting for the black hard tail Yak-Plus, and a new mountain bike from Nashbar. Once those get here, my wife will enjoy the same level of freedom and ease of completing daily chores as I do.

If you have never been to our little island paradise, way down here in the South Easter Caribbean, let me just tell you. It was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1493, on one of his subsequent journeys West. He landed here on a Sunday and named it Dominica, which means 'Sunday Island.' Apparently, the queen asked our friend Chris, "What is this Island Dominica like?" In response to which our good friend Captain Columbus crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it on the table. He said it is small and jagged and not worth investment. Now, that may sound harsh, but those facts have left this island the last remaining Caribbean island to have an indigenous population of Carib Indians, 70% is covered in Virgin Tropical Rain Forest, there are 365 rivers here, we get 400 inches of rain yearly on the interior, which consists of 9 active volcanoes and one huge boiling lake, and 100 inches of rain, yearly on the coast which is 92 miles of rugged, volcanic sand and cliffs.

If I were going to film a promotional video for the Ibex-Plus, I would strap a camera to a motorcycle and follow me to the grocery store, to school, in the rain, in the rain, in the rain, and when the sun comes out, we can open the bag and show everyone who is drenched my store of clean, dry clothes and books and laptop computer, next to my water and food and whatever else I felt like leaving my cottage with that day. Let me just say, you could live on a remote Caribbean paradise without B.O.B. behind your bike. Plenty of people live here without bikes! But when anybody sees me pulling this trailer, young, old, male, female, dog, cow, goat... they all think, Dangit! That is Awesome!

Buy one and move to a remote island, I highly recommend it.
on October 21, 2013
The best trailer available if you are going off road. The single wheel design is crucial for this purpose. The shock is probably unnecessary for light loads however.
on July 10, 2016
on July 11, 2014
Love this trailer - best of the BOB trailers!
on March 12, 2012
We got this trailer for all of the camping me and my friends do with our bikes. It certainly is a wonderful thing to have and works beautifully. After it is packed, at least one of our dogs can sit on it during the trip. At one point I sat in it to see how it felt. It worked quite well. So, later we put pads in it (w/o the bag) and our grandson sat on it for a short bike ride on the paved trail. He had on his helmet and held the older dog, smiliing the entire time. Some bikes require an adapter, but that's easy to do for the benefits.
on August 18, 2015
Wish I'd read a review like this before buying the BOB, so I'm writing one. I bought the BOB for a week long tour on the Great Divide trail, with the idea of doing future tours with it as well. We rode 320 miles over 8 days with about 23,000 feet of elevation gain. The trail through this section is mostly on fairly well maintained dirt/gravel roads with some stretches of pavement. Now that you have a picture of the ride, I'll list the pros and cons of the trailer.

Pros:
The trailer seems to be constructed well and overall I think the design is good. Build quality also seems quite good. Attachment to the bike is easy after the special replacement skewer has been installed on your bike. I had no problems with the connection to the bike despite some sections of washboard and washed out rocky trail surfaces. On smooth surfaces the BOB follows your bike with little noticeable effect on steering or handling. High speed descents on smooth surfaces, especially pavement, seem little different than riding without the trailer. The trailer does take much of the load off of your back wheel and therefore seems to affect handling less than having heavily loaded rear panniers. This might also result in less likelihood of broken spokes, a somewhat common problem with loaded touring bikes.
The dry bag seemed to keep everything clean and dry, although we didn't encounter much rain that would have really tested its water tightness. I organized the gear inside into stuff sacks, so the cavernous interior stayed pretty well organized.

Cons:
The BOB adds about 17 lbs. to your overall load. This may not matter all that much on descents or fairly level surfaces but becomes noticeable on steeper climbs. At one point I tested pushing my wife's bike with panniers vs. pushing my bike with the BOB up a moderate incline on a mixed dirt and gravel surface. The BOB added a considerable amount of additional resistance. I think some of that is from the additional weight of the trailer, some from the additional rolling resistance of having a third wheel, and some from the placement of the weight being behind the bike on the trailer, rather than more centered over the bike itself. Also swapping bikes with my wife, I noticed that the small (16 inch) wheel on the BOB generated additional effort when going over rocks or other obstacles, the small wheel being nearly stopped by these obstacles, then needing to be essentially pulled over them. When crossing ruts, bumps, and particularly a series of these, the BOB and bike combination can really undulate, requiring slowing to keep from bouncing about wildly. There are also warnings provided by the manufacturer that this type of undulation can cause the BOB's swing arm to damage your rear derailleur.
Access to the dry bag while on the road is time consuming. You have to detach the bungee cord, release the buckles in the center and both ends and then unroll the top. Also, even with the use of stuff sacks, you are faced with this cavernous space to rummage through. Panniers allow you to organize things into a bit more bite-sized chunks and are more readily and easily accessible.
Another problem with the bike and trailer combination is that it is somewhat unwieldy. If you lean the bike against a tree or the like, the BOB will generally jackknife, causing the whole rig to crash to the ground. It's possible some sort of kickstand arrangement on the BOB, bike, or both could alleviate this problem. Mostly I just laid the whole thing on the ground and then developed a technique for using one hand to lift the BOB and the other to lift the bike, this became fairly second nature after a while.

Conclusions:
I pulled the BOB behind my full suspension 26" wheeled bike. It definitely is not the most efficient rig. Between some suspension pogoing from the bike and the extra drag of the BOB, long climbs on rough surfaces can become a bit grueling. If your friends are riding 29ers with panniers, you're going to be eating their dust. That said, the BOB seems to generate less wind resistance on the downhills than panniers.
If you like the idea of a trailer for touring, this may well be the best one out there. I've talked to people using them for road touring who expressed great satisfaction. Off-road, the BOB is going to make you slower and work harder.

Improvements:
I think the BOB would benefit from a reduced weight design and a larger wheel size. Unfortunately, reducing the weight would likely increase the cost of an already pricey accessory. It would be interesting to know if the folks at BOB have experimented with larger wheels.
on April 2, 2013
Great trailer. Almost forgot it was back there on first trip.
Encountered hills, wind, rain, Amish Buggy ruts, and dogs on first trip. No problems so far.
All cargo arrived ok.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.