Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit
Style: 8 Gauge|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on August 13, 2015
This wire is not 4 gauge wire.

The wire I received is pictured in the middle in the above picture. The wire to the left is Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wire and the wire to the right is Rockford Fosgate 8 gauge wire. The wire Boss is selling is more around a 6 Gauge wire posing in 4 Gauge casing. Admittedly a clever move on the part of Boss, this is deceitful and Amazon should be ashamed to be the listed seller of such a poor attempt to mislead its consumers.

A wires gauge is objective and is not open to interpretation. Running equipment on the wrong gauge wire can damage the equipment which is why they invented the American Wire Gauge (AWG) standard.

I had an appointment to have this wire installed and had to cancel due to the fact that I had to order the actual wire I needed.

This is deceitful at best and fraudulent at worst. Do not trust this product.

Shame on Amazon and Boss.
review image
402 helpful votes
403 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 8, 2013
OK. So like many others, I read all the other reviews on this item. In doing so I learned two things.... 1) Everybody thinks they are an expert in car audio, yet they buy the cheapest 4GA wire kit on the internet and complain about it 2) This kit is not 4GA.

Now, I knocked off a star because they advertise 4GA, when in fact it is 8-9 GA. I'll add a picture to the pile showing the comparison of this kits 4GA and a piece of 9GA so you can see the actual difference. Since they are saying they are selling you one thing, and are in fact selling another (and it's amazon direct shipped) I think Amazon should be responsible enough to either A) change the description to alert potential buyers or B) require the manufacturer to actually put the correct gauge cable in the box. However, you must realize that you are paying just over $20 for a complete amp install kit. I even went and looked at the other items mentioned in some of the reviews from wally world etc. They do sell a kit that is 4GA, and reviewers say the wire is true 4GA wire, however they also complain of cheap rem wire, missing parts and poor connectors on the Bravo kit. The Pyle 4GA kit also had comments about not being 4GA. Apparently very common in lower end kits (suprise suprise.....go inquire how much decent real 4GA wire is per foot and then you will see the light, and don't be suprised at $2 a foot or more for quality stuff)
So at the end of the day in research, one cheap kit is about as good as another.

Now, as to what will this kit handle. Well, for that we use a little math. Here's your equation. Multiply the total number of channels on the Amp (or Amps) time the RMS power output per channel. For example, my Fosgate R250-4 250 Watt amp has a 65 x 4 RMS rating so 65x4=260. I also have an inexpensive Dual 8" powered sub box that is 80 watts RMS. So 260 + 80 = 340 total RMS. (RMS means literally, "Root Means Square." That's a whole nother topic though) So now we know my system has an RMS total output of 340. Now double the total RMS output. 340 x 2 = 680. Now divide by 13.8. 680 / 13.8 = 49.28 (rounded to the nearest hundred) That number, 49.28 is the systems actual current draw. At this point, we need a chart to show the required gauge wire based on the length of the Positive Power Wire. This can be found at Crutchfield. (Not sure if they'll allow a hotlink to the page with the chart, if they do it can be found here:
[...]
if they don't allow the link, you can find it using a simple search on Crutchfield's webpage for "cable gauge chart."
In my particular case, the 4GA cable (the 4GA in this kit) is going to run from the battery, to the passenger side seat into a small distribution block where one leg will go to the Fosgate amp, the other to the Dual sub. At the distribution block, the wire gauge will be reduced to normal 8GA in my application. So the 4GA run is going to be roughly 6-8 feet long. Based on the chart, in the 7-10 foot range at 50-65 amps I should use 8 Gauge. (Since my draw was under 50, I could probably get away with 10GA but I rarely have ever used smaller than 8GA) Now you know how to calculate your needs. (there are a great number of charts out there, some different than others. I find Crutchfield to have dependable information 99% of the time)

As to the max power of this kit, assuming it is 8GA.....the max will depend on the length of the power wire for your application, there is no universal max number. As an example, this kit could power a Fosgate T1000 which is a 1000 watt mono amp, which pulls 700 watts rms, as long as the Positive Power Cable is no more than 8 feet long. (Not likely that you'll have 8 feet or less, but it is just an example)

Also, those talking about the Ground wire being to short. The way electricity flows in a car is dependent on the ground. There are varying opinions on this. In my experience, the shorter the better. The best option is to drill your own ground location, use a nut, bolt, and star washer. Make sure to sand away paint in that area. If you aren't comfortable with drilling, use the closest location possible.
review image
719 helpful votes
720 helpful votes
1313 comments|Report abuse
on September 29, 2017
As other reviewers have mentioned, the cables provided in this kit are not the correct gauge. I bought the 8 gauge kits and the 10 gauge wire that I bought from the hardware store was thicker by a small margin and also stronger copper. The wire in this kit is very flexible(which is a good thing for routing around in your car).

I used these kits to wire up a 600 watt BOSS amp and a 1200 watt BOSS amp. The 600 watt amp is using this wire and works fine with no fuse issues. The 1200 watt amp I used the 10 gauge wire from the hardware store, and that amp is running fine with no issues.

Over all I like the kit, it is convenient, has all the parts that you need, affordably priced and all the wires are nice and long. For larger AMPa though, I would get thicker gauge power wire from the hardware store though.
on March 23, 2017
The connectors included with this are not the correct size for the gauge wire. You will need to get your own connectors or the wires will not stay. Other than that issue, this is a pretty good kit for lower wattage amplifiers. I would buy something better if using a high power or real high quality amp though. For my cheapo 1000w amp that probably isn't anywhere near 1000w it is ok.
2 helpful votes
on June 27, 2017
installed a 200 watt system in my car with 2 subs . this kit did its job nicely. what i like about this kit is that this one comes with the plastic protecting tubing for the red wire in the hot engine bay area.

This item is good since it surrounds the red wire and prevents it from getting in contact with hot parts or sharp parts on the engine bay.

the installation was easy enough and only took me about 2 hours . I got my BOOM BOOM now.
on June 13, 2017
Installed in 2017 civic, the cable to the battery and in line fuse worked fine, but for some reason the ground cable didn't work at all. Only got 2V across + to -, the amp wasn't turning on at all. Eventually tried a solid thick wire that I found, about 12gauge, directly tied around a screw and it worked out. I think it had something to do with it being a bunch of thin wires together? or maybe the connector that came with this kit. idk just something to look out for when troubleshooting.
on October 14, 2017
I purchased this to supply their Boss riot 1100watt amp. And it does successfully do that. The RCA cables seem decent, but the power and ground are not 8ga wires. I’d say the wiring itself is closer to a 10ga. But the insulation around the wire is very thick, so that’s a bright side I guess. All in all it is efficient enough to power their amp, but I would look elsewhere if your trying to power a bigger amp.
on November 16, 2017
You get what you pay for and I knew that going into this deal. The wire is defiantly NOT a 4 gauge wire, at least not in this country. But that is why I bought the 4 gauge wire because I needed an 8 gauge wire so after reading all the reviews I knew that the wire was small so that is why I bought the 4 gauge. It is still a little small even for an 8 gauge wire but it will work perfectly for what I need.
on August 30, 2017
easy to install. Plenty of Red wire but the black 8 gauge fell a little short. I did however manage to find a decent ground inside the cabin of the truck I installed my powered subwoofer. Not my ideal place I'd like to have the ground attached to but it seems to do the trick without any heating issues to the wire or the amp. Inline fuse is very nice. Gives you 50 amps of leeway. My amp demands 25amps. So that gives me plenty of space for current to run though. This kit came with everything I ever need. Tie downs. Connectors, the fuse. Speaker wire. Remote amp wire to the stereo. Its a one stop kit to get your feet off the ground.
on April 1, 2016
Overall a good deal, but you definitely need to order a size up in order to get the actual gauge you need. I think they may getting away with calling it an 8 gauge kit because the ring terminals and fuse holder included are for 8 gauge wire. The ground wire is not too short. For those that are new to how electricity works in a car, you are supposed to ground to the chassis, not run it all the way to the battery. Almost every other electronic device in your car is grounded the same way. Even the engine grounds to the chassis.

The bad:
I ordered the 8 Gauge and, as others have said, the actual wire is much smaller than 8 gauge. I used 10 Gauge strippers on it and didn't nick a single strand of wire. It also matched the size of some 10 Gauge I had left over from a previous install. The speaker wire that comes with this kit is also under sized with extra insulation. It's closer to the size of wire I would expect in a cheap boombox. The ring terminals and Fuse holder are for 8 gauge wire so you will have to strip double the length and fold it over to make it fill the hole and get a good crimp (not the best choice but it's better than not folding and getting a loose crimp which is dangerous) or buy some 10 Ga ring hardware. Also, the included fuse looks like it would be way oversized for an application that would use 10Ga power wire. I'd advise getting a proper sized fuse so it will burn out instead of blowing out your amp or starting a fire if anything goes wrong.

The Good:
This is still a pretty good deal for a long piece of 10 Ga and an RCA cable. Since they're passing 10 Ga wire off as 8 Ga, they put a super thick insulation on this. It will be much less susceptible to shorting out due to rubbing while being pulled through holes and under panels during install and wear less over time from rubbing on the edge of something due to normal vibrations. The kit also includes rubber grommets so, if you prefer to drill a hole in your firewall instead of cutting into the rubber around an existing cable pass-through, you will not have to worry about the metal edge rubbing through the insulation. I can't really attest to the quality of the RCA cables. I hooked them up and they work. My subs are in too large of a box right now so they are boomy and the sound quality sucks so the RCA cables don't make a difference. After I put them in a box with the right airspace I will find out.

Overall it's a decent kit. Just make sure you order a size up and make sure you get a properly sized fuse. Don't expect the guys at Wal-Mart to know what they're talking about. Research it or go to an audio shop and ask.