Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

• Customer Reviews

on December 22, 2014
Replace an entire house that had previous BRK 4120B's that were outside of the supported working status and were randomly going off or failing. New units will use old wiring harness from 2120's but you will need to replace the mount ring on the ceiling as they are not the same size however the mounts use the same screw locations so you don't have to back the screws all the way out...just loosen and twist off...twist on new mounting bracket and screw back down. Took maybe 5 minutes per unit to swap out and worked like a champ straight out.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2016
We had a ton of smoke fill our house today because of something burning on the stove. Our BRK First Alert 9120b smoke detectors never went off. These detectors are the ionization type. I found out that there are two types of "smoke" detectors. There are ones that actually detect smoke and ones that detect flames even though they are both called smoke detectors. I then tested mine by waving lit matches under them and they went off because they detected the flame but when I held smoking matches under them they did not go off. These detectors were made in 2005. The technology maybe better today. It appears that the ionization type detectors primarily detect flames and the photoelectric type detect smoke. I'm switching to the photoelectric type. We had a ton of smoke fill our house today because of something burning on the stove. The smoke detectors never went off. I found out that there are two types of "smoke" detectors. There are ones that actually detect smoke and ones that detect flames even though they are both called smoke detectors. I then tested them by waving lit matches under them and they went off because they detected the flame but when I held smoking matches under them they did not go off. These detectors were made in 2005. The technology maybe better today. It appears that the ionization type detectors primarily detect flames and the photoelectric type detect smoke. I'm switching to the photoelectric type. Watch this Today Show Video that explains this better . [...]
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 29, 2016
I'm replacing 3 units of the BRK 86RAC that started random malfunctioning about a month ago. After looking at the 3 units, I noticed corrosion on the 110 volt pins and across the circuit board itself, which may be the failure reason. But these where installed in a high humidity area, so that adds to it. If I'm ready the date code correctly, the 86RAC units are 8 years old. The residue appears to be organic, and not paint over spray.

I'll check on one of the new units in about a year to check on this issue.
review image
on October 16, 2016
I know that this will add to the course of bad reviews for the First Alert devices. I have 7 of these installed in my house that was constructed in 2011. (Hardwired are required by local code) Until recently, I was not aware that these safety devices that are mandated by code have such limited life. I have used the "battery" operated devices for many years and can't remember ever having to do anything but replace the battery every couple of years. After talking with a First Alert service representative, I was informed that monthly cleaning of each device was required which including blowing air into the device to remove dust. They are ceiling mounted so I don't understand the big dust problem.

On the smoke detector, He walked me through a procedure that reset the device that and I was able to re-install it into the ceiling mount with no additional problem The same procedure would not work for the detector that contained the CO 2 alert.

I was also told that the recently manufactured devices have a 10 year warranty where the older device are only 4 years. If you are buying a new device, check the date code on the back to make assure it is a recently manufactured . like a lot of other electrical devices these devices are made in Mexico.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2017
Being a fire protection specialist for over 35 years, I chose these because they have all the features I need, plus the price was great. And they come with a dust cover and a battery installed ! Replaced all 12 in my home with just a screwdriver in less than half hour.
review image
I purchased this for my father in law and I installed it for him. His older AC powered smoke alarm had failed, (different manufacturer). This new unit was easy to install and it worked fine. The unit came with:

• A mounting base
• The alarm module
• It had an installed battery and a plastic strip to be removed after installation to allow the battery to work.
• A wiring harness with a plug in connector
• An instruction manual
• A dust cover to use if the home is under construction so the smoke alarm is not exposed to dust and dirt.
• Two locking pins which I did not use

So far this unit works well and we are happy with it. Make sure to read the instructions and test the unit after you install it. The wiring is simple with line and neutral connections. There is a third orange wire which is an inter-connection wire to link smoke detectors together but in our case this was not used. The orange wire is not stripped, to remove the insulation and expose the conducting wire, and the tip has been dipped into a plastic sealant to avoid any shorting issues.

The unit has a test and rest push button. The battery compartment is easy to open and close. It is located on the side of the alarm module and it swings out to allow you to change the battery and it latches closed. There is a green LED that lights up when the unit is AC powered.

I liked the product and I rated it at 5 stars.

Don't forget to use the dust cover if your home is under construction or you are remodeling. Dust will damage the functionality of the alarm.

As an update this alarm is still working well.

My father-in-law is happy with the alarm performance and I would purchase it again.

I liked the fact that it is operated on AC power but still had a battery backup.
on September 4, 2016
This is almost a direct replacement for the SA86B or 86RAC. The wiring harness/power connector is the same but the mounting bracket of the 9120B is smaller/different.

You either have to remove the original mounting bracket and might have to deal with touch-up painting (or have to deal with the original bracket that was painted over)...

... or, install the new bracket on top of the existing bracket. I realized I could do that as the new bracket sits flush on top of the 86-style bracket. The screw hole barely lines up but the end result is a clean installation. You remove the screws from the original bracket, place the 9120 bracket on top, line up the screw holes, put the two screws in. A low power screwdriver comes in handy for this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 10, 2018
Can't beat the price! I needed to replace over 20 fire alarms in my home and the majority are being replaced with these. I also picked up 2 heat alarms for the kitchen, a smoke/carbon monoxide detector for near the fireplace, and a few photoelectric alarms to cover all my bases. When we had the house built it had all Kidde alarms but it was easy to put these in instead as they came with all mounting hardware needed.

The mounting bracket removal and replacement consists of 2 screws. Then I had to remove the existing harness and put the new ones in. Took less than 5 minutes for each alarm. These came with 9V backup batteries pre-installed, I just had to remove the plastic tab to activate them. Not sure how long those will last but plan on replacing them next year to be on the safe side. Great value all around!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 29, 2017
Works as advertised. Easy swap if you already have this style installed.
These smoke detectors are designed to last about 10 years. There is a sticker on the back showing date of manufacture. Expect 10-12 years after that date.The house we bought has seven installed. We have been in the house 12 years and they have going out one at a time for past two years. I ordered these thinking for the price they might have been on shelf somewhere for a few years but good price either way. I was surprised to see every one in my order of seven had a manufacture date of a couple months prior to my order. They also all had batteries installed with the plastic "pull here to activate." If yours are around 10 years old and they chirp like battery is dead but new battery doesn't fix they need replaced. Just twist off and unplug and install new ones. Very happy with this purchase.
on November 5, 2017
Installed five of these in my home via interconnect (if one goes off they all do). They are extremely sensitive so that’s a good thing. I blew out a very small candle about 10 feet away from it and it actually went off, I kid you not. I turned it off with one click.

They are pretty easy to assemble if you know what you are doing. I really like the back up battery pack in case we ever lose electric in my home. When hardwiring, just make sure you turn off your electric. They come with a black (hot), red (interconnect) and white (neutral) wire. I attached them to the coordinating colors I had present. The old first alerts just took the wiring, now with the new ones come with a detachable plug. This is great considering in the future they are not that hard to replace as they are now a plug.