Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 168 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 195 reviews
on July 9, 2016
My unit did not come with dd-wrt. Either Amazon or Buffalo messed up and flashed/sent me the wrong unit. I contacted Buffalo support and they said that they do not provide support for installing third-party firmware. The dd-wrt firmware provided on the website was rejected by the webui update tool. After like 30 minutes of digging around I figured it out:

Here's how to install dd-wrt on this thing.
1. Download dd-wrt by googling "WHR-300HP2D firmware help" which should bring you to a dd-wrt forum post by "Panduh909." Later in the thread there is a link posted which you bring you to the download link for the firmware. Download the firmware-us.bin file.
2. Connect to your router, use ipconfig and copy the gateway address into your browser. (Mine was 192.168.1.1)
3. Go to the admin tab, upgrade, and "Upload file from computer." Select the downloaded firmware and click upload.

It'll take a few moments, but then the router should be running dd-wrt!
on March 29, 2017
this is a really good router.

The DD-WRT firmware does everything I want it to do. It allows me to securely OpenVPN into my home network, I can track usage and I found out we use 20 to 30 Gigs per day of internet. I can do traffic shaping if I need to, and I have blocked ads at the firewall via scripting. It is fast and stable and takes all I have thrown at it so far with ease.

There is a lot of documentation online for dealing with DD-WRT and that helps a lot. Just research what this firmware is capable of with a device that has this much memory. For this price point it is a steal for what you get. This is nearly as useful as a UTM appliance costing hundreds or thousands more.

If it had a USB port for file sharing it would need 6 stars but for this value it easily earns 5.
on March 20, 2016
Do not Buy this if you want to use DD-WRT. Buffalo appears to have decided to no longer support the on-going firmware revisions from the DD-WRT community. You are stuck with their implementation (last update was released 2 years ago) and for me, it is unusable. It does not support the minimum security requirements for remotely administrating the router so all of the browsers block remote access to it if you try to set up a secure connection. Such a shame - Buffalo used to me my go to company for DD-WRT enabled routers : (
on November 9, 2014
We ordered this router to get away from the old Comcast Netgear N150 default bullcrap. Quite a beauty! Looks nice, easy to understand, not a POS brick. Fairly affordable too.

Took a bit to set up for us, but only because we were being foolish and did not attempt to restart the modem and router together. It's super configurable if you want it to be, or plug and go essentially if not. We're more plug and go. Definitely improved the range of the signal for our smart phones and laptops and the speed is much improved from what we had, there is now essentially no difference between wired and wireless speeds. LAN parties!
on October 20, 2014
I like the form and features but the Firmware update file on the vendors site has problems and customer support seems clueless.
Per Buffalo, there were 3 versions of firmware: all have a base id of whr300hp2d-v24sp2- The suffix of 22750 is the base firmware dated 11/05/13. The suffix of 22750a is dated 11/05/13 and the suffix of 22750b is dated 11/05/13 and corrects the prior fix. The latest firmware "Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.1i to fix CVE-2014-0224 and CVE-2014-5139 vulnerabilities"; it is very important. The Buffalo website lists what appears to be the latest firmware but when you download/unpack and install it; it reports (status screen) that it is the original base version! Either the binary file has not been updated, or when it was the id constant was not updated. In either case it needs to be resolved. I waited a few days for Buffalo to fix (I reported 3x) to see if it was corrected over the weekend; but a check today (WinDiff) shows it to be exactly the same. Note the 2013 dates are internal dates, the ...22750b on the download page shows a post date of 10/1/14.
on April 22, 2015
Previously had a Netgear and a Belkin N600 dual band router in my house. For some odd reason every now and then I would not be able to connect to my wifi. So I went through the normal procedure, unplugged router and cable modem, wait couple minutes, plug cable modem, wait, then go plug in wifi router and reconnect all my devices (2 laptops, 2 ipads, 2 iphones and a wifi printer... that's not the worst but it's a pain). Being frustrated I started to ask around if anybody heard of possibly a better router out there. My IT buddies said Buffalo, hands down! I bought this model and seriously have not had any issues to date. Also my signal strength is 1 bar better in the furthest location of my house. So I'm very happy with this item plus it's cheaper! Their web site is awesome too. Thanks Buffalo you got my confidence.
on February 29, 2016
Doesn't Reach even 5th of proposed bandwidth, doesn't have a 5GHz bandwidth capacity so a lot of interference from nearby devices.
However due to DDWRT customization it is excellent box for a power user (somebody working in networks not your average technocrat).
on April 21, 2017
DDWRT is brilliant. I have about 40 ddwrt routers and this one is by far the best i have used!
on August 30, 2015
Item description states "DD-WRT preloaded". I ordered it from a reseller, and DD-WRT was not preloaded. The stock Buffalo firmware was loaded, so I had to install DD-WRT. That was a chore that took several hours. However, once it was loaded and setup it worked great. It may be preloaded if purchased directly from Amazon, but my product was not.
on April 25, 2014
Has a decent signal strength, but most of the magic is in it's factory OS. DD-WRT provides so many options over any other router I've ever owned or configured (I'm in the IT industry and have seen a lot.) Some of my favorite features are: Support for DDNS services, where you can sign up and monitor network traffic, as well as filter traffic (OpenDNS is my favorite for this.) Innate VPN access (access your home network from anywhere) and guest hotspot (this one is a bit harder to do, but create a second SSID for guests/visitors/neighbors and keep your personal SSID key to yourself.) It doesn't come with a CD like some of the more 'consumer-friendly' models, so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't too tech savvy.

*I'm very frustrated with this router as of now. Buffalo doesn't necessarily support this router yet (check their website, it says that it's not even out yet!) So you're unable to get proper firmware. DD-WRT has yet to support this either, so you're stuck with the factory firmware until Buffalo gets working. It crashes often on me.

*I contacted Buffalo three days ago about lousy support on their website for this product, let alone DD-WRT not having the firmware. They have yet to contact me back, aside from the automatic email saying they received my request.