Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 9, 2014
I bought this drive in April of this year. It installed in the computer seamlessly and worked first time. I've used it to mainly burn DVDs and I haven't tried to burn BDs with it and I guess I won't...In late Nov., when burning a DVD-DL, it burned the disc to the ~50% point and then just hung the writing software. One coaster created. I tried different burning software. same result. Two coasters created. It seems the drive can no longer burn the inner layer of the discs. Went on the ASUS site and got an RMA No. to return the drive under warranty. Just received the new drive and it doesn't work at all! In fact it causes other problems in the computer totally unrelated to disc drives. When this drive is installed I can no longer access my network/internet/network devices... WTF?. I bought a Pioneer replacement drive and so far, so good...
on October 19, 2013
There are two versions of the Asus BW-12B1ST: 1 is a rebadged Liteon iBHS112-2 with 8 MB cache, and the other version is a rebadged LG BH14NS40 with 4 MB cache. The Liteon version has the capability of doing quality scans for DVD and Blu-ray discs and the LG version does not. The page for this product advertised that it's the 8 MB cache version, which is the Liteon clone. What they actually shipped to me was the LG clone with only 4 MB cache and completely incapable of performing disc quality scanning.
1212 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 22, 2015
Good price (after rebate). Like most Blu-ray drives it does not come with software to play Blu-ray movies. I already have software for burning discs (Roxio), but haven’t had a need to burn one yet. One thing to be aware of, which surprised me, this drive hasn't been able to recognize certain copy protected DVD discs. For instance the Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part I. This drive does not even acknowledge that the disc is in the drive. I had to use my HP USB DVD drive to access the disc. That’s the 3rd time that’s happened, always with discs that had additional copy protection. I don't know whether this a bug with the firmware, or something that was done intentionally (I'm considering opening a help desk ticket). If it weren't for that I would've given it four stars, rather than three.

Update: 2015-04-07
Here's what I found on the internet, concerning the Asus BW-12BST.

BW-12B1ST 1.03 = is a rebranded LiteON iBHS112
BW-12B1ST a 1.00 = is a rebranded LG BH14NS40

Mine is the LG version. There are methods to cross-flash the drives, but I'm going to wait for a response from Asus (so as not to void the warranty).

The response so far, from Asus, was the region code must be incorrect. It is not. I've requested a replacement drive.

Update: 2015-05-04
Asus' customer support and RMA process is worse than some other companies I've dealt with. My favorite was there suggestion to update the driver, and they sent me a link to an application for conserving energy while burning discs (and in no way a driver).
Finally got them to RMA the drive. The only notice they sent on the old drive: "Drive failed RMA tests". The replacement drive is able to read "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire". So must have just been a weird, bad drive.
My opinion of the drive should go up 1-star, but my opinion of Asus and their customer support would still bring it down another star ;)
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 29, 2014
This Blu-ray player/burner from Asus comes with a quick install guide, a disc with some software (a trial of CyberLink Power2Go and some drive optimization software, as well as a link to update the drive's firmware) and a set of four screws to mount the drive inside your computer's case (I only needed two). After mounting the drive and connecting the necessary cables, I booted up my PC, and Windows recognized the drive right away. Blu-ray playback is smooth, and everything seems to be working well.

What it does not come with:
- Blu-ray playback or burning software. As previously stated, there is a trial of CyberLink Power2Go (burning software) included on the software disc that comes with the drive, but it's only a trial version and eventually expires, requiring you to purchase the full software. As someone who has the full version: it doesn't let you burn Blu-ray movies, only data discs. (You can still burn DVD movies, however.) CyberLink PowerDVD 13 works well with this drive as playback software for both Blu-ray and DVD movies, but you'll have to shell out quite a bit for it. Some have mentioned VLC Player as a good free player, although I haven't tested it.
- A SATA cable for connecting the drive to your computer's motherboard. I grabbed one at the local big box store for $10, although you may be able to get one more cheaply elsewhere.

As a note, I'm running Windows 8.1 and have had no issues using this drive right out of the box.
on December 1, 2013
I purchased this item and promptly sent in the required rebate materials. I also sent in a rebate for a ASUS video card in a separate envelope. Even though they state they received the rebate request, they denied both rebates stating:
- Copy of Receipt/Invoice or Packing List is missing
- No proof of purchase date in documentation
I can ensure you that the receipts were included and both have the dates purchased listed on the receipt. I copied all the contents of both envelopes before sending them in and it is obvious that I met all the requirements of the rebate forms.

The decision to purchase both of these items were based on the final price after rebate. I am preparing to order another video card for another computer but will obviously not purchase another ASUS product after this episode. I might understand an error on the part of the processing of one rebate, but with both being sent in separately and both being denied, it appears this is an attempt to just avoid paying the rebate or total incompetence by this company.

As for the product quality, I have no complaints and appears to be working fine. I would have given a much better review if the rebate had been delivered as promised.
on February 17, 2012
I don't really use this drive for watching movies or burning movies. I bought it to back up large amounts of data. I was using Double Layer DVDs, but files keep getting bigger and bigger (twss).

I have tested to see how well it does play movies just to check it out and it does a wonderful job (Used TotalMedia Theatre 5). Also just for fun I ripped a BR movie to MKV to see its rip times and was pretty impressed.

I've burned 5 ~24GB disc (and verified) so far with no problems. For the price this is a great drive... but note it DOES NOT come with BR Playback software... Obtain either PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre 5 if you plan on playing Movie BluRay Disc. As far as burning disc it does come with a basic PowerDVD burning tool which is pretty much crap, but IMGBurn (free) works great with it.
0Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 27, 2015
Purchased this drive knowing it was not a retail item and didn't need everything a retail package includes. Drive is from what I think called an OEM builder's pack in lots of 10, 20 or more. Bare drives do not come with packaging or software as they're used to build custom computers for resale. I was building a new Linux based HTPC and knew that ASUS does not produce software for Linux OS but is supported by open source software. I've purchased many items (motherboards, optical drives, Chromebox, monitors,etc) from ASUS brand and they're always good value for the money lasting many years.

I was also tempted by the recent ASUS April 2015 rebate and not too surprising doesn't include this drive. UPC for this drive is 610839416271 due to the fact it isn't a retail item. So including the rebate link on the Amazon web page wasn't applicable to this item and given a 4 star rating for that and not the drive. Drive works very well in my new ASUS motherboard based HTPC running Ubuntu playing BluRay movies, burning DVD & CDs.
on January 23, 2014
As noted in the review below - This page states that they a selling a drive with a 8 meg buffer. If it is a deal stopper for you that you may not get what they have advertised, then don't order the drive. My drive came yesterday. Based on the review below, I decided to find some software to find out what they shipped. Found trial version of DVD Info Pro and loaded it. Tested the drive and assuming the people that wrote the program know what they are doing... the test shows Buffer Size is 4064 KB.
I'm going to burn some disks and see if any fail. That will determine if I return the drive. Based on what I've read already, as long as the drive has 'buffer under run' the only thing the smaller buffer will affect is the speed of the burn.
Caveat emptor - Let the Buyer Beware.

This review is from: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive with Disc Encryption - Black - Retail Box (Personal Computers)

on October 23, 2014
I rarely write reviews but I have something to say. Ok, here is the story. I bought this drive in Jan or Feb this year. And I have not used it for a long time until one day I need to boot my computer from a disc. Guess what, the drive does not read discs. I could hear that the drive wanted to do something, but it failed constantly. Now what, I have to send this thing for repair. I spent $7 in shipping just to send this garbage back to ASUS. I have waited 2 weeks to receive this darn thing. Then one day I wanted to burn another disc, guess what, this thing wouldn't burn! It kept trying and ruining my blank discs. Last Friday I sent this thing back to ASUS, cost my another $7. Government should pass a law asking all the manufacturers to pay for return/RMA shipping, only in this way will those manufacturers learn their lessons. If you have not decided to make a quality product, then don't make it and waste my time and money. I'm so pissed this time.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 4, 2015
Received this drive in January of 2013. I have only used it as a back-up drive to back-up software. It died on January 23, 2015. It comes with a 1yr warranty which apparently is not adequate for it's quality. The disk stopped working and I was forced to manually eject the disk. When I did that, I heard plastic pieces fall from inside the unit. I recovered the disk, but the drive is no longer responding. I will be replacing it with a non-ASUS brand drive. This device simply didn't get enough use to justify is early failure. Very disappointed and not recommended.

While it was working, it worked great...kind of like my last Volkswagen.