Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Baby Einstein Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on April 17, 2008
My baby was initially attracted to the bright yellow fish and the music box. After 3 months, she started liking the octopus and all the different teethers and rattles on it. This activity mat entertains her. However, there are some quality and design issues - the collar on the octopus has threads coming off. One of the rings with beads also has open screws that rusted after washing the bead ring (washing is essential for the teething baby who tosses her toy everywhere). The rattle on the octopus is a bit cloudy. The mirror on the mat is not great quality. We have the Tiny Love activity mat as well, which is a better quality product. Both these mats entertained our baby from 2 months up.
UPDATE: The good news is that after contacting Kids II, which makes this mat, I was informed the toys do not contain BPA.
on February 17, 2009
I was very disappointed with this product compared to the Tiny Love gym. The fabric is cheap, the music is a dumbed-down version of the classics, and the whale pillow slides out from under the baby. The accessories on the gym leave much to be desired. Do your self a favor, don't get sucked in by the marketing gorilla that is Baby Einstein. It's just mass-produced, on-the-cheap, make a profit on new parents, mediocre merchandise.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2013
We own three of these types of mats, listed here in order from my favorite to least favorite. Tiny Love Gymini Move & Play, Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym, and Fisher-Price Rainforest 1-2-3 Musical Gym.

Here's my comparison: The first two, made by Tiny Love and Baby Einstein are very similar. They both come with lots of toys to dangle, and you can also add your own. They have lights and music which my son LOVES, and there is space to place other toys around my son for him to grab. Both can fold flat in half easily without taking them apart and can store in between my couch and coffee table, so they are easily and quickly put away and taken out when needed. Both are easy to wash, I just take off the arches and wash the mat part. This is important if your baby spits up a lot like mine :) I do not put them in the drier. Here are the differences: I like the Tiny Love mat better because it is much larger, so when my little guy starts to squirm around more, he will have more space to play. Also when I lay next to him and talk to him, he can see me better with the Tiny Love mat (on the baby einstein mat, the toys are lower and closer together so they are always blocking him from seeing me). Also, the Tiny Love mat is adjustable so that you can move the intersection of the two arches down so that your baby can look at the lights and music even during tummy time. Since my son is not particularly fond of tummy time, this helps a lot. The Tiny Love mat also has sides that fold up, which I haven't used yet but I'm thinking these might be useful when he starts playing with toys that can roll away but before he starts crawling. The Baby Einstein mat comes with a little whale that you can prop baby up with for tummy time. This doesn't work well for us because is is asymmetrical and he always ends of sliding to one side and becomes uncomfortable, so we don't use the whale.

The third mat, made by Fisher Price, I really do not care for at all. Is it so small that there is no space for me to place any toys around my son, nor can he move more that a few inches without being at the edge of the mat. The arch dangles too low so toys suspended from it are nearly touching is face, although the arch is not directly over his face anyways so he doesn't even really care about those toys. Although it's small, I would have to disassemble it in order to make it flat, which is not difficult but with a baby, I have better things to do, so it actually takes up more space to store than the other two I reviewed. There are no lights and minimal music. Disassembly to wash it is difficult since I have to take off the plastic sides. The only thing my son likes about this mat is the mirror, which he looks at during tummy time. (both other mats also have mirrors though) Pretty much, by son is better off just laying on a blanket.
on February 16, 2012
We recently had our 3rd child and after using the same playmat (a Tiny Love one) we decided to purchase a new one. We chose the Baby Einstein Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym because it had nice colors and looked stimulating.
The colors are a the only thing we liked about this gym once we got it set up.

The things we disliked were:
The toys are connected by tiny ribbons, making it difficult to move toys around.
The bars that hold the toys are placed so close together that there are very few places baby can lay and see the toys.
The mat has 2 plastic beams running through the bottom, which limits even further where baby cab lay.
The mirror is impossible to attach in a way that baby can see him/herself while practicing tummy time.

All in all this was a terrible disappointment and we got out our old Tiny Love mat.
on October 14, 2009
I chose this playmat because of the positive reviews. I was disappointed. I received a Tiny Love playmat as a gift, and I highly recommend it over this one. My biggest issue is the cheapness of the material--both the feel and the images. There's little threads hanging out all over it. It's also more complicated to put together compared to Tiny Love. The hanging toys are mediocre at best. There's one rattle my twins really enjoy so I actually tranferred it to the other playmat.
on February 6, 2014
This play mat is okay,

Pros:
1. Love all the different colors
2. The different toys that came with it were fun to play with.
3. Great for tummy time
4. Folds up easily if you don't have the music box on it, and you can put it away in seconds.

Cons:
1. The bars sit a little low, if you have the octopus hanging it would always dangle in my little ones face and that was something she didn't like. I would have liked if the bars were a little higher.
2. The box that played music was a little heavy and didn't sit on the bars as well as I thought that it would.
3. Not the biggest play mat, it would have been nice if it was a little larger.

It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it was just merely okay. There were other mats that I thought were better quality, and had more variety than this one. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't buy this mat. It did the job, but wasn't something that I absolutely loved.
on March 9, 2009
My son adores this baby gym so much that he can go in and play excitedly for over an hour every day. It's wonderful! Lots of toys for him to reach for and grab at, and he is completely spellbound by the octopus. It's a delightful thing to have for the baby. As a comparison, I also purchased the gymini by Tiny Love, and he likes it, but does not love it like he LOVES the Baby Neptune.
on January 19, 2016
I bought this as a gift for my baby cousin and he loved it. He would lay on the mat for hours when he was younger.

It is very well made. The mat is really soft so it is comfortable for babies to lay on. All the parts have stayed intact and it has held up very well.

This play mat is so cute! The sea animals and bright colors help to stimulate baby's mind. The animals are very realistic looking.

This was an excellent deal and was much cheaper than other stores. Overall I'm happy with this product.
on July 15, 2015
We got this for my daughter when she was a few months old to stimulate tummy time and I'm happy to report that this activity gym really grew with her. After she was able to roll over, she loved trying to grab the octopus and different rings while laying on her back. She also loved looking at herself in the mirror (yes she is a bit conceited!) and it was fun to help her discover all the possibilities of this gym. She didn't really use the whale because it would always slip from underneath her, but later on she did give it a good beating once in a while so we still got some use out of it :P It was an excellent purchase and I will definitely use it for my second child due in November.
on June 13, 2014
We got this for my son to learn to play and interact and he loves it.

It is so good at entertaining him that we got another, so that my in-laws can have one at their house for him. The toys can all be re-arranged in any way that you would like, to create new or more challenging play environments.

This one has great sound quality as well. I have an older model and this one, and the sound is much better from this one.

The only caveat to this one versus the older version, is that the older version is more sensitive when you set it to the "shake" setting (where your kid can hit it to engage music or change music). This version takes a more substantial "thump" to get it there.