Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on November 10, 2009
This is the worst cell phone i've ever owned. It took me 3 days to figure out how to turn it on. I barely get any service, bluetooth is not compatible with it, and texting is so hard on it. Would not recommend to anyone.
1313 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2013
1) The toy has three very small colored lights (red, green, blue LEDs) that turn on and off in time with the music.
2) Although I am often the one doing the activating, the button is large enough and easy enough to activate that so that a smaller infant can activate it even with relatively imprecise movements. Erroneous activation is reduced by a small lip around the button which is one of the few good design elements.
3) Three settings: off, low volume, high volume.
4) Nice selection of musical pieces rendered in simplified form for baby.
5) Nice sound for an inexpensive baby toy - something of a marimba like timbre which most enjoy so, it doesn't annoy me or anyone else while it entertains baby.
6) Inexpensive
7) Very portable

1) Handle is not easy to grasp for younger babies because there are too many beads on it and they are large.
2) Speaker is on the back of the toy and the toy is shaped such that it tends to fall onto its back. The sound is muffled when it is on its back.
3) Lights are small and do not light up with any particular logic. Since the colored lights are small they are not very visible when the toy is on its back.
4) The only button is designed to look like a hat switch but doesn't behave like one. The arrows mean nothing and inadvertantly teach baby that these symbols are meaningless which is very dumb.

Suggestions to Baby Einstein:
- One less bead would have left the handle accessible to smaller hands and younger infants who are just learning manipulate objects with their hands.
- Making the toy in more of an "A" shape so it can stand up on baby's lap would lead to better sound, more visibility and less need for assistance with the toy.
- More lights and some logical correlation to their activation would have been better for entertainment value and smarter (i.e. the lights could appear on a treble clef scale at the correct vertical position for every note and only light up when that note occurs in the music).
- Either make the symbols on the button carry their traditional meanings (i.e. pressing the left arrow side of button goes back to the previous song while the right side advances to the next song, up and down arrows control volume or get rid of them) or make the button plain/use non-symbol decorations. The lack of meaningful associations between symbols and events on this toy actually teaches baby that symbols mean nothing.

Babies are capable of learning symbol-event associations long before they can clearly demonstrate it. Strong symbol-event associations provided by toys help babies learn that these associations exist and are useful. Expose them to symbols with associations that are simple and consistent enough to be decoded in order to promote development of these abilities earlier and more robustly.

I saw that a number of reviewers wanted to know about the songs. These are the tracks that I found listed for this toy according to the Babyearth site:
Serenade No. 13 in G, "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," K525, 1st movement, Mozart (Baby Galileo)
Nocturne No. 6, K239, 1st movement, Mozart (Baby Neptune)
Waltz in GB Op. 70, No.1, Chopin (Traveling Melodies)
The Four Seasons, Spring, 1st movement, Vivaldi (Baby Vivaldi)
William Tell Overture, "Lone Ranger", Rossini (Playtime Music Box)
Piano Sonata in A, K331, 3rd movement, Mozart (Baby Mozart)
The Four Seasons, Summer, 1st and 3rd movements, Vivaldi (Baby Vivaldi)

In Sum:
[updated after a few more weeks] Unfortunately, many of the baby toys out there are like this and many undiscerning consumers buy them anyway so companies keep making "mindless dazzle candy" toys. I would say this toy is for undiscerning consumers only. Overall, knowing the toy's shortcomings, we would not have purchased the toy even though it was cheap. I still can't believe a toy brand that claims to promote development would market this thing. The meaningless symbols on the front and the lack of meaningful association between the lights and tones make this a "mindless dazzle candy" distraction that inadvertently teaches babies that arrows mean nothing (pure genius eh?). There are better toys out there where each unique symbol leads to a different event. Unfortunately, this toy is definitely not intelligently designed and makes the Baby Einstein brand look pretty dumb.

Also it ultimately just wasn't that interesting for baby after the novelty wore off in the first week which is a bit too fast. Now when she is presented with it, she looks around the room instead of at it as if to say, "that's boring, is there something else to play with?" She still gets enthused about interacting with her Lamaze Soft Chime Garden Musical Toy which has better visual appeal, a shape that stays upright, interesting textures, no meaningless symbols, supports the development of more complex motor coordination (grasping the petals, moving the flowers and rotating the pot) and has multiple sound modes to fit different developmental stages.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2018
We got this as a present for my at the time 3 month old. He is now 4 months and it is the best toy for him and his older brother (2 years old) to share together. The toy is about as big as my hand. It is very colorful and has pretty light that alternate color when it is playing music. Music includes Eine Kliena Nacht Music, Rondo Alla Turk, Spring from The Seasons, William Tell Overture and I think some others. The button is very attractive to children and fairly easy to press. It is a great toy to begin teaching motor skills. My 4 month old can grasp the handle easily and hits the button on accident a lot which gets him very excited. My toddler is teaching his little brother how to grasp and hold things through this toy. Last note - this toy is pretty durable. It has been dropped and thrown a number of times already. It keeps working and does not even seem to notice the abuse.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This baby "iPod" is fantastic! My baby is almost 9 months old and we've been using this toy for a few months now. I ALWAYS have this toy with us. Whether in the car, on a walk, at the doctors or just at home, I make sure this is with us. If my daughter starts to cry, I pull this out, start the music and she instantly stops crying. Every. Single. Time.

.The center circle part of this toy is one large button. Pressing this button is what starts the music.Every time you press the button a different song will start to play.
.The button is very easy to press. A lot of toys my daughter didn't understand that she needed to press the button harder. That is not an issue with this toy. She can easily start the music and will flip through the songs until she finds the one that she wants.
.There is a small screen that lights up and flashes colors as music plays. This is the best feature.
.The handle has four beads that work as a rattle when baby shakes toy.
.There is volume control! You can choose either a low volume or a high volume.
.Great variety of music. Just enough songs to keep baby entertained for a while.
.All songs are upbeat classical. Of course, no lyrics.
.Easy for baby to hold. Even at a young age (5 months) my daughter could grasp onto this well.
.Batteries last forever. More than 4 months of daily use and the batteries are still going strong.
.This bad boy is durable! Very durable. My daughter is not gentile with anything. This toy has been thrown countless times onto our hardwood floors and it still works perfectly. A few times that it's been thrown from her highchair, it has stopped playing mid song, but when I pick it up and press the button, the music will start playing perfectly once again.
.The price is amazing. I will be buying another one to keep in the diaper bag. Something that I should have done a long time ago.

.The beads on the handle are made of hard plastic. Babies love to chew on everything, it would be nice if these were a softer material.
.This toy is on the heavier side. I would advise against letting your baby play with this while laying down. I've had it drop on my daughters head while she was playing with it.

Overall, great toy. I love that my baby has her own "iPod". This toy is worth it's weight in gold.
on October 7, 2017
 There are clear problems with this toy. For one, as I went to turn it on, it does not work. I assumed a problem with the batteries, but unfortunately, replacing the batteries with another set did not seem to remedy this issue. I tested the included batteries on another device, my wireless keyboard, and that is working no problem. So clearly it is a wiring fault or a short in the toy itself, or even that it's a fake. it's a nice looking toy, and any well meaning parent would want to buy it for their child, but this does not work. I actually spent a lot of time trying to get it to work, and to no avail. If anyone knows how to make this work, please let me know, otherwise, this review stands.
on March 5, 2018
I heard a lot of good things about Baby Einstein products so I decided to buy this for my niece's birthday. Good quality item, colorful enough to keep the little one interested while playing beautiful music. Looks like I'll be buying my niece more products like this!!
on December 25, 2017
It's a score, I love the music,the flashing lights and she loves it just as much, I tried to get a pic of her smiling when the music started,kinda hard to do phone in 1 hand,musical gadget in the other.
on November 21, 2017
My 5 month old loves this toy! The lights captivate him. I am currently on a road trip and he is geting a bit agitated being in the car, this toy stopped him from going nuclear so if it didn't earn it's 5 star rating before it sure did now!
on July 25, 2017
Just amazing. Daughter won't stop staring at it when lights and music are on. She enjoys it so much. It saved us from so many hours or crying and fuzziness, specially in the so-much-hated car seat. And we thought at first that it wouldn't be so good! It has nice songs too and even my wife and I like it. I think the key to entertain our baby was that the lights are synchronized with the music.
on January 11, 2018
We were given this Baby Einstein Take Along Musical Toy as a gift for our baby. She is now 4 months old and is LOVING this toy. As with most babies, she enjoys music, lights, and sound - this has all three! It's also a great size for her to hold and manipulate. In fact, as she is learning to roll from back to tummy, if we had this play music just out of her reach, she rolls to get it!

Features We Love:
-On/Off button with volume control on top. It's easy to find, has clear directions, and is low profile enough that our little one hasn't figured out how to turn it on independently (yet!)
-Giant easy to find play button. The button you see on the front with the music note is what the baby hits to make the music play. And BONUS, if you hit it again it starts a new song.
-Multiple songs. Let's be honest, as parents, we get fatigued on hearing the same sounds over and over. While baby might love it, parents start to lose their sanity. This little toy plays multiple songs!
-Lights! The tiny screen above the "play button" corresponds to the song with bright colorful lights. Our baby loves looking at it while she enjoys the songs.
-Handle toy. I'm not sure that our daughter cares about the moving pieces on the handle yet, but she loves being able to pick this up and move it around.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.