Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 476 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 9, 2007
I have been signing a handful of words with my 8 month old daughter for about two months now. She's been very attentive when I've been signing, but until we started watching 'Baby Signing Time' she hadn't really attempted any sings on her own...However, we've had the DVD for less than a week and she's already started signing 'milk.' I'm not claiming that this DVD is a miracle...I think my efforts to be consistent with the signing, in combination with her evolving developmental maturity have a lot to do with the fact that she is starting to communicate non-verbally. However, I really think this engaging video has helped. I find this DVD to be very age appropriate and entertaining, as well as educational. The music is upbeat and the songs are catchy. The repetition may be boring for some adults, but for babies repetition is an effective teaching tool...my daughter has plenty of time to hear each word and she gets to see each sign multiple times. I think she really enjoys seeing other babies use the signs she's been watching me use for the past couple of months. Plus, I find it helpful to see a variety of kiddos using the signs, as it gives me an idea of what it might look like when my daughter starts to attempt new signs herself. I also have a three year old who has really enjoyed watching the video with her baby sister...she practices all the signs and is starting to use them when talking with the baby throughout the day, which I think is great. We haven't watched the original series so I am unable to compare the two; but I feel pretty sure that we will be investing in some of those DVDs as our household becomes more sign savvy.
on March 20, 2007
We too were so impressed with the original Signing Time that we decided to try this one for our nearly one-year-old baby. While we're not fans of TV for children under two, the first Signing Time was so straight-forward and simple that we were comfortable watching it with our child. It took only a few times of watching it before she was using the signs all the time!

So we were excited when the Baby version came out and ordered the first two volumes. But these are way too "produced" in comparison to the original one, and the cartoon graphics and music are annoying and distracting. We let the baby watch it and she sat like a zombie, which worried us, since she'd been so engaged by the original one. But Baby Signing Time was far less effective in terms of teaching her than the low-budget/realistic original one.

If you're looking to start your child on the path to learning ASL, I strongly recommend you stick with the original Signing Time series. The Baby version is just too close to that mindless entertainment junk you find in most children's videos today, which is a real shame, since the original series are so engaging and interactive.

I gave this two stars as it's not the worst thing for a baby, but in comparison to the original series, it was very disappointing.

Edited to add: It's been a few years since I posted my review. Clearly there are some folks out there who do not feel the same as I do about this series. ;) And that's fine. And when a friend bought us volume 3, we decided what the heck, we'll give it a shot with our youngest.

She had the exact same reaction to Baby Signing Time that our eldest did. We tried all three DVDs, thinking maybe it was just a fluke (I know, silly, but there you have it. The naysayers here had me second guessing myself). Nope. She hated the Baby Signing Time DVDs. And our eldest wasn't interested either at that point either ("That's a BABY. I'm not a BABY. Pfft.").

So I ended up giving the DVDs away to a friend who learned her infant was deaf.

My oldest is now 5 and my youngest is 2-1/2, and both of them still love the original Signing Time (Series One), especially the first three volumes. Which amazes me, because those are by far the least produced looking of all the Signing Time videos. Yes, my girls like eye candy cartoon TV as much as the next kid, and neither of them need to learn ASL technically, but they enjoy the original Signing Time series. They BOTH still enjoy it. And it's educational, which I love!

Bottom line is these DVDs are not cheap. If you're going to invest in any, I still recommend going with the original Signing Time series instead of Baby Signing Time, because if for no other reason, than your kids might still want to watch it when they're older. Baby Signing Time doesn't have that same long-lasting value as the original Signing Time. At least it didn't in our house. So while some folks might love Baby Signing Time even more than the original, keep in mind that the original is appealing to both little ones and bigger kids. The baby one may not be. Our kindergartner had forgotten most of the signs until her baby sister started watching Signing Time. My eldest was able to re-learn the signs along with her sister. Totally worth every penny. :)
88 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2007
I bought this because my 11-month-old daughter loves Signing Time Volume 1 of the original series and I thought the baby version might be even better for her. I was wrong - she's just not into this one. The original Signing Time (vol. 1) is much simpler and just shows kids in natural environments doing the signs. This baby version has more cartoon content and is much more "high-energy" which seems to turn my daughter off (and is less enjoyable for me as well). This might be great for some babies, but mine prefers the simple, low-tech version.
44 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2008
We bought this for our son about 5 or 6 months ago. He's now 11 months old. He's an extremely intense and focused baby. Even at a young age. When we popped volume one into the DVD player, we were kind of bummed that he didn't take an interest to it. However after a few times, he was absolutely glued to the TV. He's been watching both volumes one and two for awhile and only makes a few signs (milk, wash hands, ball and we're working on please), but recognizes many others. It's the ONLY thing that will keep his attention. I could bomb the house down around him and he would be sitting in the ruins still glued to the TV. He has a crush on Rachel (the host) and smiles big and silly whenever she appears.

I haven't seen any of the original signing time videos, save for a few clips online) but it seems to me as if there's a divide. If you started watching the original signing time, you may not like these and vice versa. I love the Baby Signing time because it has lots of songs and music (and babies!) to keep his attention. Which is exactly the point. It's for babies. Older babies and children would probably find it boring.

We don't let my son watch much TV, occasionally Sesame Street and Baby Signing time, as I think both of them are educational. I also find that the music on signing time, is about the only music on children's programming that doesn't make me want to put a gun to my head. We love to sing the songs to him. The only way I can wash my son's hands after a meal is done, is to sing the "wash hands" song.

I would say that this DVD is ideal for kids 6 months to 1 1/2 years of age.
on February 29, 2016
The only reason I won't give it 5 stars is because I can't buy it! I can only rent it! I definitely want to buy this so that it's always in my Amazon library for my kiddos but instead I'm paying $2 for it every week. PLEASE make this purchase-able!!!!

As for quality of the video and the content, there's nothing better. This is the only screen time our daughter had, and she started watching it around 3 months old. She was recognizing our signs around 7 months old, was actively communicating with us via sign language at 12 months and was 100% verbal at 17-18 months, but she still always uses signs along with what she's saying which makes it so helpful when deciphering her cute little toddler jibber jabbers. I recommend this to anyone and everyone!
on September 18, 2016
This video is very well constructed. I honestly like sitting and watching (& singing) her videos with my little one. Lol

My little one really does not care for other videos other than Signing Time or Baby Signing Time. When she hears the theme songs, she gets very excited.

These videos are great as a starter or introduction into sign language. I have honestly learned so much already, Rachel makes memory references for every sign that makes it easy to remember. Very catchy.

I would highly recommend these videos for everyone wanting to learn ASL. I would especially recommend for parents who have deaf, hoh children or children with delayed speech. Personally My child has bilateral deafness and after searching for resources, these videos Happened to be the most reputable source I have found to help us.

I wish the sets were a little more affordable but regardless I know the cost of the videos are worth it.

If you found my review helpful, please vote!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon June 29, 2015
These videos are so well made and fun to watch. I rented this from Amazon about 20 times, I should have just purchased it. The songs are so catchy you'll find yourself singing them all day. My son just turned 2 and has had 6 open heart surgeries. He's spent half of his life in bed and because of this he's pretty far behind developmentally. These videos have allowed him to communicate pretty well with us. He can tell us he's hungry, when he wants more of something, and when he's "all done". We kept watching the videos over and over but he never picked up any other signs. Eventually he got bored of the videos and we don't rent them anymore but it took a good 6 months. I highly recommend these videos for kids that are having trouble talking.
on May 27, 2015
This rental is not as advertised. When I purchased, the information said I was renting a video that was two hours long. Well it turned out to be the SAME TWENTY MINUTE CLIP just repeated over and over again. News flash, amazon: that DOESN'T count as two hours.
on January 13, 2009
I got this after realizing my 13 month old son starting picking up sign language from the Comcast on-demand selection "talking hands." Since the comcast on-demand selections rotate, I wanted to have a sing language DVD at home to make sure we had something in case talking hands went off air. I checked out a few other dvds from the library and chose this one because it seemed the most updated.

The good part of this DVD collection (I got both) is that tells you what words will be taught in each DVD and it's got catchy songs (I find myself getting the songs stuck in my head throughout the day and it's kind of annoying actually - the producers ought to make TV commercials!). The teacher is very animated, almost *too* animated.

The bad part of these DVDs is that they rely heavily on cartoons to illustrate the word. For example, for the word "frog" they use a cartoon frog, who for whatever reason, has a diaper on. They show an actual frog for about a second, but its mostly the diaper-wearing frog that is used. I just feel like they ought to use real pictures more - especially for small children. When they go through a review of the animal words, they start with the word bird, then the cartoon bird "flies" into the screens for the other animals, so even if when they are reviewing the word "horse" the bird is still in the picture - confusing! There is insufficient connection between the word and an illustration of the word. They'll show lots of kids signing the word, but then only show a picture of the word very briefly at the end. They should intermix more or use picture in picture.

My son seems to "burn out" on Baby Signing Time very quickly. Despite the songs and animation - he gets bored with it after one or two segments. Maybe it's just too busy for him.

Frankly, I think the "talking hands" is better, even though it is obviously old, low tech, and the signers are not very animated. The format was far better for learning because it was slower-paced, showed lots of variety, illustrated the word with real pictures, and showed a picture of the word just as much as a sign for the word.
on October 31, 2015
My son learns a new sign every time he watches this episode. We have been using this dvd since he was about 10 months old, and thank goodness for it too because it turns out my son is speech delayed. So being able to communicate with him via ASL is a life saver. Ive seen many many baby signing videosl and this is hands down, the absolute best signing video to use. Recently, I was playing it for a friend on my smartphone at a playgroup and I overheard another parent say to his wife "we need to ask her about that video, I just learned 3 new signs in, like 5 minutes!" So it helps adults learn quickly as well.
I actually rented it via Amazon on a whim (and it was only 2.99), and I ended up buying the whole baby series via the two little hands website (and I am not a person who pays full price for anything). Being able to rent this title on amazon is really nice, because some videos work for some kids and others do not, so its best to dip your toe in before committing to the purchase.