BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 24, 2016
I gave this 4 stars because it's Babylon 5, but this is definitely not one of the best of the B5 offerings. It was a bit disappointing in the acting and had some of the B5 mystique missing, but since I've been in B5 withdrawal since the show went off the air, I knew I had to buy this. It was worth watching, and definitely worth adding to finish my B5 collection, but it simply wasn't the best of the best. Now I have every DVD from the Babylon 5 series, so I'm happy. Yippee!
on August 16, 2016
This is a review of the digital medium extracted from the DVD. I still own the DVDs, but it is easier to handle digital content so thought I would try one movie and one season. A single frame of any one scene is fairly close to the DVD, but action scenes play like a slide show. The show needs to be remastered and digital streams redone. I won't be buying any more content for B5.
on May 9, 2017
A decent intro to the B5 successor series "Rangers". Comes highly recommended to those who liked or loved B5. I ended up wanting more tho!
on August 10, 2016
Like all Babylon 5 shows, this was well written, the acting was good, and the effects were really good. For me, the only issue is the premise, having a foe that is as powerful and ancient as the Hand seems too exaggerated, and not too realistic. Maybe a better premise would be a group that follows in the ways of the long gone Hand, or maybe having the Rangers dealing with a group trying to bring down the Alliance with subterfuge and intrigue as well as the occasional battle.
on April 18, 2017
Production was fine ... the choice of actors was all wrong. Storyline is OK. I will not watch it again.
on April 19, 2006
Worse than Infection? That's saying quite a bit. I have to agree this film has some serious problems, for example, the Kung Fu weapons sequence is literally embarrassing, even if you watch it alone. Yet even the idea of a gunner immersed in a VR system (sans the kicking and screaming) was interesting -- with some work it could have been interesting. Moreover, the chemistry between the crew was much better than that in the original pilot, especially between the captain and his second in command.

Rather than chronicle the flaws in this movie -- and they are legion -- I will just say this: the critics of this film are correct in every detail. I cannot find a single particular where you would be wrong (right down to the quality of the video); however, if you step back and see the totality of this pilot (and what it could have become, warts and all) it becomes more enjoyable. The story is predictable, but that was exactly the the technique used by JMS in the original B5: to give the audience a predictable story, with stereotypical characters, and then slowly have them begin to behave and evolve in ways you never would have expected.

There are even a few moments which, far from being embarrassing, bring it all back. The last scene where G'Kar says his famous line about B5, and they show the Babylon station, actually got an emotional reaction from me and the people I was watching the show with.

Deeply flawed, but as G'Kar would say, not without hope.
on June 6, 2011
Unlike many "Babylon 5" fans, I didn't see "A Call to Arms" when it was first released on TV (because I didn't have cable at the time) nor on VHS/DVD (because I didn't have the spare change at the time)! However, I was able to purchase it on Amazon Instant Video for the low price of $7.99!

This film was one of several that could have taken place during the fifth season in that it was separate but continuous with the parent series in that The Station was one of the story locations and I had a chance to see the B5 regulars meet at least one of the future "Crusade" regulars (the scene where Zack convinced Dureena to "check in her weapons" was comedic gold!) while only Sheridan and Dureena met Galen. I also got to see another "familiar Crusade face" in a different role. While seeing her as a nameless character in this movie and later as a named regular character was a little confusing, I could understand Mr. Stracynski's casting decision. Good fictional characters can be well-written with a little luck and a lot of experience but compelling actors and actresses are very rare finds indeed!

While I had to remind myself why this story and the one that came after it existed, the ending came as a complete shock as I watched and it served as a reminder of the topsy-turvy but predictive (as opposed to predictable) genius that is JMS. While it pre-dated 9/11, I was strongly reminded of it after seeing this movie!

Top marks all around!
on July 16, 2016
I loved the B5 saga (even with the low tech special effects of that time, especially the first couple seasons) as the power and thought given to the overall story easily bested the competition. However I felt let down by "The Legend of the Rangers". G'Kar was the only redeeming portion, but even his performance can't save this flick from being at best a low grade "C" rated Sci-Fi flick.
on August 1, 2017
very happy looking forward to my next purchase
on May 30, 2015
I really liked this movie because it had some fresh new characters in it from the Babylon 5 Universe; and it was set on the Minbari homeworld, which we did not get to see much of on the T.V. series. I also liked it because my favorite B5 character, G'Kar, was in it. He always adds flair and humor to the show. I was hoping that they would go to the Narn homeworld, but there was not enough time for that in this story. Anyways, I still liked it, and I was glad that they let a Narn engineer, as well as a Drazi, join the Rangers.