Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 50 reviews
on February 13, 2014
I have some serious space limitations and must pare down my current HO layout. I bought this set just to see what N gauge was really like. I have read other reviews and people emphasize just how small it really is. I have seen the pictures that show the comparative sizes between N and HO but it is still not the same as actually seeing one up close. Even though I was expecting it to be small, I was still surprised at how small. But I think I am going to make the switch to N gauge because: 1) I have space limitations and 2) I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the locomotive. I feared that, being so small, the engine might jump when throttle is applied but it rolls out just as smoothly as my HO gauge engines. No herky jerky motions whatsoever when throttling up or down or even from a dead stop. I still like the added detail that only comes with the larger HO gauge railroads but this will do nicely as I simply don't have the space for HO gauge anymore. I will be using this basic N gauge starter set as the foundation for an expansion as time, space and money permit.
on December 5, 2013
Kids love it, bit this is a VERY basic set. You really need to get another track set to make this more fun. The track is so simple to connect, the train has ever derailed and I purchased an entire second larger set by the same manufacturer one I saw how nice this was. now we have a very nice set up in such a small size. this is NOT for a 7 year or younger unless the parents really help out a lot. It is very small and someone not familiar with this gauge can be freaked out at how small this really is. This is worth the money as a starter for sure. Having 6 kids I would say get the N gauge for 11 years old and up for sure. Stick to the HO size if you have the room or even super large O gauge for the younger kids. For the retiree this is the size to get , especially if in an apartment.

This set alone is NOT the set to get if you want the kids bright eyed and screaming woth joy as again for me its a small starter set in a small physical size. For the older kids to start a hobby this is again a great "starter".
on May 22, 2013
Great equipment to get started with. Highly recommend getting the Track Pack in addition to your train set to create a nice layout.
on December 27, 2015
The quality of this train set is decent. The EZ track is not easy to put together and short circuits easily. The train set actual did not function on the included track and or power supply for us at all. However we did get this train to run on Atlas code 80 n-scale track layout, which is the main track we are going to run the train on anyways.

The coupling of the train and cars are a little problematic. We had to sort of force the cars together until we heard a snap. It seems like something that could break easily.

It a decent train set this for the train and 3 cars itself. However I would suggest not using the EZ track at all. I recommend using something like Atlas code 80 track instead. Atlas track is made with better quality and craftsmanship than the cheaply made EZ Track.
on August 19, 2014
Everything came out well as I wanted. The Bachmann Santa Fe F7 looks more prototypical than ever! The wait was so worth it! I truly recommend this to everybody, from beginners to die-hard Santa Fe railfans. You can either use the set as an expansion for another layout or you can set it up under the Christmas tree. I understand there are some people who know that during its corporate existence the Santa Fe never assigned red "warbonnets" to freight service until the 90's, and F7's ran for the company until around the mid-70's, so you may use this set however you like. Add some straight tracks, some turn outs, bumpers, another locomotive (Bachmann's Santa Fe GP40 recommended), a couple more freight cars (such as Bachmann's Santa Fe 50 Ft. mechanical reefer) and passenger cars for the F7, as well as buildings and scenery so you can create your own little Santa Fe railroad.
on December 29, 2015
Overall the engine, cars and track are a good entry-level system. My main area of concern is the actual ability to couple the cars to the engine. Without a "rerailer" this is virtually impossible (especially with only curved track sections). The track assembles easily, but in some instances needs to be tweeked a bit at the connections, or one side of the rail rides higher than the other which will with out a doubt throw your train off the track.
on February 19, 2016
I love this train, it's the perfect price and size if your limited for space. You can build a nice layout without breaking the bank too. A great starter kit with everything you need to have a functioning train.
on January 27, 2017
Great little N-scale kit. Enough for a small circle, but you'll really want some extra straight track pieces to make it big enough to really play with. We added some extra track Bachmann 5 Inch Straight Track (6/Card) - N Scale, but could have used another kit.
on September 15, 2014
Nice train set!! Good locomotive and cars. Ordered straight tracks to expand and works well. My 3rd Bachmann n scale train set, began with the fine Royal Blue then the powerhouse Thunder Valley and now the fast Super Chief!!! At fair prices from Amazon!!!
on December 4, 2013
This is not the black one it is silver and red. Perfect as this is the one I wanted. It was shipped and delivered in two days . I was surprised to see it arrive 1 day earlier than they said. It is a beautiful set we did order more track that is in a desperate delivery.