Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $6.94 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Bachmann Trains Santa Fe Flyer Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Set
|Price:||$62.44 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$6.94 (10%)|
- EMD FT diesel locomotive with operating headlight
- 2 Freight cars and off-center caboose
- 36" circle of snap-fit E-Z Track
- Power pack and speed controller
- Illustrated instruction manual
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
From the Manufacturer
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
For those of you considering ordering this for a child under the age of 10, keep in mind they should be supervised. H0 trains run on an electrical current. While durable, they are not intended to take a beating from children.
Coincidentally, as I browsed through the toys section of my local supermarket, I ran into the Santa Fe Flyer train set from Bachmann. It comes with the needed Santa Fe locomotive as well as three freight cars. So instead of spending around 60 US$ (MSRP according to Bachmann's website) for the locomotive itself, I got away with only a portion of it.
Needless to say I had to try out the train set, even though the locomotive will be a display item only. After reading the posted reviews on Amazon I was frightened to do so, but got pleasantly surprised. The set comes with an easy to read, step by step manual. Putting together the so called E-Z track system was actually easy, even though it takes some patience to do so (it gets you a 36" circle). It also takes a little bit to get the locomotive and the freight cars onto the rails, but this is a very detailed toy in a small scale and not a Tonka truck. Power comes via the included speed controller, which is connected to the rails via plug-in wire (cannot be mixed up). The locomotive runs very smoothly, even at a slow speed. The knuckle couplers make adding cars to the locomotive/train an easy task. All in all, this set comes with all you need to get started and the items are of a very good quality.
On the package it recommends an age of 8 years or older. This is o.k. if your kid is patient enough to deal with something detailed and delicate like this. Otherwise you might have to help a little bit.Read more ›
My train was not at all ready to run "out of the box". I am happy now, but I was ready to return it after about 1 hour of troubled use. I eventually settled down and troubleshot a few problems with the set and it is now running very reliably. The controller has fine control and locomotive runs very smoothly. It took me about three hours to fix the problems I found. 1 hour tearing my hair out, 2 hours fixing the problems.
1) The cars would always decouple and/or derail when backing up. Some times they would decouple while running forward.
2) The train would "stick" on certain portions of the track at low speed, but not at high speed. Once it got stuck I had to use full throttle to get it moving again.
3) The couplers do not line up. You have to push them into alignment. They are difficult to decouple.
4) The train is difficult to line up on the track.
1) Every metal rail has sharp burrs sticking up on the ends where it was cut from the stock used to make it. I filed them smooth with a fine file, but level with the rest of the track face.
2) The caboose had 3 wheels that were not rotating freely, the hopper had two. I had to gently spread open the trucks until the wheels rolled freely. I used a tiny spot of light gun oil on each pivot point. 3 in 1 oil would probably work well.
3) The couplers appear to need a straight piece of track in order to self-couple. There is no straight track included in this set. I used my fingertip, or a pencil eraser to push from the "outside of the curve" side to keep them aligned. I have been lifting the cars in order to decouple them. A pencil tip, or straightened paperclip can be used to decouple them.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Serious issues with coupler heights between locomotive and cars. Renders the "Ez mate" ineffective and worthless.Published 19 days ago by richard hatcher
I have been a model railroader since I was a kid. I bought this kit for my 4.5 year old son. Runs great! This is the best deal I could find on the net or in any store! Read morePublished 25 days ago by Amazon Customer
While Bachmann in general is a decent brand for Model Trains, I purchased this set and indeed had the common problem of the engine dying not long after I set it up. Read morePublished 1 month ago by James
arrived in perfect condition, worked right out of the package. very good qualityPublished 3 months ago by Kevin Strickland