Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bachmann Trains Thoroughbred Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Set
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on November 23, 2012
I bought this Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree this year. I was thinking of getting the bigger O or G scale train, but the HO is the perfect size and I'm really glad I went with it. The HO size has a perfectly sized track that fits under the Christmas tree without needing the typical 4'X 8' space that most larger trains need for the track. The Locomotive is the heaviest of the train pieces and most well built piece, but that's because the other train pieces just need to roll behind it. Overall I'm really happy with the build quality, and the track was super easy to snap together. The conductor controls are also really easy to use and my 2 year old quickly learned how to move the train forward and in reverse in a manner of minutes. I would recommend this train to anyone looking for a train set for under the Christmas tree. Great Price, fairly quiet, and great size!

**Here is some video I took of the train to help you see how it looks and operates. I was running the train at about 1/3 of the full speed. The train operates and stays on the track at full speed as long as the track is completely level on the floor, or on a table.
77 comments| 270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
The train arrived very promptly (Prime) and was in great shape. The cost was around $74. Store price was around $95. It only has three cars but that is enough. Our six year old grand son is able to put the track together, put the cars and train on the track and enjoys connecting the cars and running the train. It is the combination of the houses, small buildings, gas station and imagination that makes it such a fine item. He is continually changing the layout of the buildings around the track. For a few dollars you can go to the Dollar Store and buy some moss sheets that he uses as a field and some other items he was able to turn into shrubs. Its all about the imagination. This product is the melody to the harmony of creation in encouraging a young child's mind.
on July 21, 2011
The track was easy to pu together, Amazon gave me great delivery service very fast and on time, thank you all at anazon. This set is a great begining set.Itis my first and I was very impressed.For the cost was way lower from amazon than any other outlets. I have already ordered another train set. The locomotive is very strong. I would reccomend this set to anyone just starting out.
on October 7, 2010
My son actually saved up his own money for this train. It is a sturdy train that is great to get someone started in HO scale rail roads. This purchase is one the rare times that the item bought from online is better upon arrival than it seemed on line.
on April 25, 2011
I am very please with this HO scale Bachmann train set. It is very powerful and extremely quite. Great product for the model railroad collector and Amazon.com provided wonderful service.
on April 18, 2011
Backmann's trains are always good, but the price from Amazon.com for this set is the best deal you can find.
on January 29, 2012
We bought this train set (with additional track) for our grandson to wean him off the Thomas trains and onto something more age appropriate.
He loves it and so do his five brothers! Yes, that's right. Six boys play with this trainset and if it can withstand that treatment, you know it is well made.
on June 7, 2012
I purchased this item to use in a project for my daughter's fifth grade class. The package arrived quickly and I had it set up in a few minutes. The controller initially worked erratically but Bachmann sent a replacement (and a new wallpack) right away (great customer service). I tried the original controller after I had received the replacement and it worked fine then.

The engine ran better than any other HO engine I have owned in the past. It was smooth and never hesitated at any speed. A sticker on the box explains why the wheels may come off from time to time but I never had any come off (even after the fifth graders got their hands on it). Getting the cars placed properly on the track can be difficult if you try to do it by hand but one of the straight sections (looks like the rail is crossing a street) will actually "rerail" the cars when you move them back and forth over this section (the trucks must be oriented in the same direction of the track for this to work).

The class project was a demonstration of an automated controller running a train. I added a control panel, a small controller, some sensors and LEDs to simulate controls on a real railroad. The layout was left in the class for the kids to play with for the last four weeks. When I picked it up today, the train still worked like a champ.
on February 14, 2016
The quality of workmanship on this product is poor, and I am very disappointed. I gave it two stars, because it does work, and I have been able to work around the parts that don't work well or have broken. I have three specific problems with this set. 1) The EZ-track modules that are supposed to make it easier to lay out a model railroad (because the track is already attached to modular sections of roadbed that slide together) is supposed to work on carpet and other types of flooring. Yet, it is hypersensitive to slight irregularities in or small objects under the surface on which the train is set up. It needs a lot of adjusting to work under non-ideal conditions. The "EZ-coupler" that couples the cars together is held to the locomotive by a plastic retaining clip. After less than an hour of use and about two setups and takedowns, one of these clips came out, and the rear coupler on my locomotive was rendered nonfunctional,so I can only use the locomotive in reverse. I searched the Internet for a replacement for this clip (because I could not find it amid all the Christmas clutter on our floor), and, although replacement EZ-couplers are available, the retaining clip that holds it on is not. I called Bachmann's customer service line and left a message. Supposedly they offer a lifetime guarantee on their products. All I was asking for was one lousy retaining clip. They never returned my call. So I got online again and emailed them, explaining in detail the one tiny part I need. I asked them, "If you cannot replace this one part, please honor your lifetime guarantee as printed on the box and replace the locomotive." They never responded to my email. The wheels of all cars but the locomotive are plastic, not metal as they should be. Plastic wheels are even more prone to derailment than the tiny metal ones. Bachmann does sell rolling stock with real metal wheels, but it must be purchased separately. Model railroading is an expensive hobby, because not that many people are interested in it. I accept that, and the expense of it is probably why I did not ever embark on it until later in life, but at these prices, I would expect a somewhat better product at this price point, or, failing that, at least competent customer service.
on December 22, 2015
This is a beautiful little train & since it had a high review rating as well as mentioned in the top ten toy trains of 2015, I hate to post a bad review, but feel that a different point of view might he helpful to potential buyers. I can't say whether this train or the track was faulty, only that the train we received would not stay on the track. I definitely would not recommend it for a child. We bought this to go around our Christmas tree, with our grandson in mind. First, it was extremely difficult to place on the track since the wheels & track are rather small, plus there is plastic on the outside of the locomotive wheels, making it very hard to see where the wheels should go. The track is fairly easy to connect, but the train car connections are very loose & sensitive, so easy to become disconnected. We finally got the train to go around the track once, with no other cars attached, at a slow speed, but it hangs up very easily. Considering we had it set on carpet around our Christmas tree, we thought we might try it on a hard surface floor, which we did; however it made no difference. If two adults, both having previously owned similar toy trains, couldn't get it to stay on the track, we thought a child would have little chance to enjoy it. So, we sent it back for a refund & are very pleased with Amazon's quick & easy return policy. It was picked up at our house & refunded almost immediately, so for that we're very grateful. Later today we went to a local store & purchased another toy train for 1/3 of this cost & it runs like a champ. It's a little larger with larger wheels & has more functions. By comparison, the cheaper one has plastic track & doesn't look like it would be as sturdy, however when it started up, it was slightly off the track & kept chugging along. So, this is one time where good reviews & quality materials just didn't do as good a job as a cheaper version - go figure :)