Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 249 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 264 reviews
on February 14, 2016
The quality of workmanship on this product is poor, and I am very disappointed. I gave it two stars, because it does work, and I have been able to work around the parts that don't work well or have broken. I have three specific problems with this set. 1) The EZ-track modules that are supposed to make it easier to lay out a model railroad (because the track is already attached to modular sections of roadbed that slide together) is supposed to work on carpet and other types of flooring. Yet, it is hypersensitive to slight irregularities in or small objects under the surface on which the train is set up. It needs a lot of adjusting to work under non-ideal conditions. The "EZ-coupler" that couples the cars together is held to the locomotive by a plastic retaining clip. After less than an hour of use and about two setups and takedowns, one of these clips came out, and the rear coupler on my locomotive was rendered nonfunctional,so I can only use the locomotive in reverse. I searched the Internet for a replacement for this clip (because I could not find it amid all the Christmas clutter on our floor), and, although replacement EZ-couplers are available, the retaining clip that holds it on is not. I called Bachmann's customer service line and left a message. Supposedly they offer a lifetime guarantee on their products. All I was asking for was one lousy retaining clip. They never returned my call. So I got online again and emailed them, explaining in detail the one tiny part I need. I asked them, "If you cannot replace this one part, please honor your lifetime guarantee as printed on the box and replace the locomotive." They never responded to my email. The wheels of all cars but the locomotive are plastic, not metal as they should be. Plastic wheels are even more prone to derailment than the tiny metal ones. Bachmann does sell rolling stock with real metal wheels, but it must be purchased separately. Model railroading is an expensive hobby, because not that many people are interested in it. I accept that, and the expense of it is probably why I did not ever embark on it until later in life, but at these prices, I would expect a somewhat better product at this price point, or, failing that, at least competent customer service.
on November 23, 2012
I bought this Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree this year. I was thinking of getting the bigger O or G scale train, but the HO is the perfect size and I'm really glad I went with it. The HO size has a perfectly sized track that fits under the Christmas tree without needing the typical 4'X 8' space that most larger trains need for the track. The Locomotive is the heaviest of the train pieces and most well built piece, but that's because the other train pieces just need to roll behind it. Overall I'm really happy with the build quality, and the track was super easy to snap together. The conductor controls are also really easy to use and my 2 year old quickly learned how to move the train forward and in reverse in a manner of minutes. I would recommend this train to anyone looking for a train set for under the Christmas tree. Great Price, fairly quiet, and great size!

**Here is some video I took of the train to help you see how it looks and operates. I was running the train at about 1/3 of the full speed. The train operates and stays on the track at full speed as long as the track is completely level on the floor, or on a table.
77 comments| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
The train arrived very promptly (Prime) and was in great shape. The cost was around $74. Store price was around $95. It only has three cars but that is enough. Our six year old grand son is able to put the track together, put the cars and train on the track and enjoys connecting the cars and running the train. It is the combination of the houses, small buildings, gas station and imagination that makes it such a fine item. He is continually changing the layout of the buildings around the track. For a few dollars you can go to the Dollar Store and buy some moss sheets that he uses as a field and some other items he was able to turn into shrubs. Its all about the imagination. This product is the melody to the harmony of creation in encouraging a young child's mind.
on January 7, 2017
PROS / The E-Z snap-together track is simple to piece together.

CONS / The wheels sometimes fall off the train cars.

VERDICT / It is a bit of a nuisance that the wheels sometimes fall off the train cars, but this simple four-car train set is a decent beginner set for an aspiring model enthusiast.

The Bachmann Thoroughbred is an HO-scaled model that features a locomotive, hopper, gondola and caboose. This electric train set comes with a 47-inch by 38-inch oval track. The track pieces snap together using Bachmann's E-Z track

The track includes 12 curved pieces of track and two straight pieces. One of the straight pieces is the terminal, where the power source plugs into the track. The track is powered by a gray box with a dial in the center that controls the speed of the train and the direction the train goes. It is connected to the track by two wires – it is not a remote control and does not require batteries to operate.
on December 13, 2015
Great starter train. Arrived missing wheels but company was wonderful to deal with & quickly set out replacements. Would have given 5 stars if it was easier to set on track, but looks beautiful around our Christnas tree.
review image
on April 24, 2017
I don't know where to start... I have been buying hundreds of products on Amazon for as long as I can remember and this is by far the worst one.... If you want to get utterly frustrated and throw everything out of the window, this is the right one. In short train takes an act of god to be properly set on the rails and after hours of meaningless efforts it simply does not stay on... I wish I had not discard the box and I would return that piece of junk immediately.... nothing was ever as frustrating as this thing......
on December 26, 2013
Train came well packaged with full, easy to follow instructions. We took our time and carefully set up the tracks, knowing this isn't a "TOY." I was careful to make sure we didn't bend the parts on the track or the links between the cars because they are fine and possibly fragile. I bought this train last minute for my 2 year old daughter who surprised us all by asking Santa for a train three days before Christmas. Thanks to Santa's amazon prime membership, it got here right on time so we could set it up under our tree Christmas Eve. Growing up, I had a train similar to this one under our tree, so I had the brilliant idea to bring back some memories by buying a model train rather than a toy train for her. I was a little nervous about her wanting to touch the train and the small pieces breaking, but I showed her how to operate the train with the controls and she was more interested in that rather than picking up the train itself. I think this is a great product and if you want to purchase this to use with a small toddler, then you should take the time to play with them. We took some of her foam blocks and were building bridges for the train to go under. We built a station so we can stop the train and pick up imaginary people. I think if you take the time with your child and use your imagination, you can make this train interactive enough for them to leave it on the tracks! The original track that comes in the box is a perfect size to fit under our tree. We have a 7.5' tree and the tracks are slightly bigger in circumference. The power connection from the control box to the tracks does not have a tight fit so if it is bumped too much it does lose its connection. But that is a super easy fix. Overall I am super happy with this train. My husband wanted her to have one so she could pick it up and not break it, but I like the fact this train moves on it's own and is more realistic. My daughter loves this train too. Even if she can't pick it up and throw it around!
on July 23, 2015
Was looking for a starter set for my young kids that was not a cheap toy grade train, but definetly not hobby grade as a 3 year old is hard on everything. I remember Bachman from the 80's and the quality was so-so, but priced very reasonable. I was a bit shocked when I saw the prices of this type of set, so I figured the quality had been improved. The engine is a quite nice in the detailing and operation. It does not have the weighted fly wheels as a hobby grade unit will have, but the motor is very smooth and quiet. I was actually impressed. The knuckle couplers, even though plastic, work well as they have an actual spring unlike other manufacturers. The rolling stock is decent in detail and roll smoothly. Over all I am impressed with the quality for this caliber of train set and so far, it has survived the use by a 3 year old. I hope that it survives for many years to come.
on December 13, 2013
This my second "Bachmann"... inexpensive train set.... Look for my review of the Bachmann "Pacific Flyer" train set.

I am.. again... very please with the quailty and look of this set..

Only one issue ....the track must be perfectly level as this engine.. like the other set... is not very heavy so any slight grade will slow it down or the wheels will just spin . You can "weight" the engine but that could decrease it's pulling power a litlte .....so adding cars could be an issue. I just made sure my coffee table top" set was level.
My other set is under my coffee table on the carpet..on a plywood layout .... no issue with that one.

Otherwise.... A great "starter" set.. and a lot of train... for the $$$.
Set up is a snap.. very good directions for the HO train beginner.. "plug and play"
on January 2, 2017
Purchased for under the tree. Easy to assemble and worked right out of the box. Would be even better if it had a whistle or steam.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.