Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 23, 2012
I bought this Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree this year. I was thinking of getting the bigger O or G scale train, but the HO is the perfect size and I'm really glad I went with it. The HO size has a perfectly sized track that fits under the Christmas tree without needing the typical 4'X 8' space that most larger trains need for the track. The Locomotive is the heaviest of the train pieces and most well built piece, but that's because the other train pieces just need to roll behind it. Overall I'm really happy with the build quality, and the track was super easy to snap together. The conductor controls are also really easy to use and my 2 year old quickly learned how to move the train forward and in reverse in a manner of minutes. I would recommend this train to anyone looking for a train set for under the Christmas tree. Great Price, fairly quiet, and great size!

**Here is some video I took of the train to help you see how it looks and operates. I was running the train at about 1/3 of the full speed. The train operates and stays on the track at full speed as long as the track is completely level on the floor, or on a table.
303 helpful votes
304 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on March 4, 2012
The train arrived very promptly (Prime) and was in great shape. The cost was around $74. Store price was around $95. It only has three cars but that is enough. Our six year old grand son is able to put the track together, put the cars and train on the track and enjoys connecting the cars and running the train. It is the combination of the houses, small buildings, gas station and imagination that makes it such a fine item. He is continually changing the layout of the buildings around the track. For a few dollars you can go to the Dollar Store and buy some moss sheets that he uses as a field and some other items he was able to turn into shrubs. Its all about the imagination. This product is the melody to the harmony of creation in encouraging a young child's mind.
62 helpful votes
63 helpful votes
on January 7, 2017
PROS / The E-Z snap-together track is simple to piece together.

CONS / The wheels sometimes fall off the train cars.

VERDICT / It is a bit of a nuisance that the wheels sometimes fall off the train cars, but this simple four-car train set is a decent beginner set for an aspiring model enthusiast.

The Bachmann Thoroughbred is an HO-scaled model that features a locomotive, hopper, gondola and caboose. This electric train set comes with a 47-inch by 38-inch oval track. The track pieces snap together using Bachmann's E-Z track

The track includes 12 curved pieces of track and two straight pieces. One of the straight pieces is the terminal, where the power source plugs into the track. The track is powered by a gray box with a dial in the center that controls the speed of the train and the direction the train goes. It is connected to the track by two wires – it is not a remote control and does not require batteries to operate.
on December 13, 2015
Great starter train. Arrived missing wheels but company was wonderful to deal with & quickly set out replacements. Would have given 5 stars if it was easier to set on track, but looks beautiful around our Christnas tree.
review image
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on December 26, 2013
Train came well packaged with full, easy to follow instructions. We took our time and carefully set up the tracks, knowing this isn't a "TOY." I was careful to make sure we didn't bend the parts on the track or the links between the cars because they are fine and possibly fragile. I bought this train last minute for my 2 year old daughter who surprised us all by asking Santa for a train three days before Christmas. Thanks to Santa's amazon prime membership, it got here right on time so we could set it up under our tree Christmas Eve. Growing up, I had a train similar to this one under our tree, so I had the brilliant idea to bring back some memories by buying a model train rather than a toy train for her. I was a little nervous about her wanting to touch the train and the small pieces breaking, but I showed her how to operate the train with the controls and she was more interested in that rather than picking up the train itself. I think this is a great product and if you want to purchase this to use with a small toddler, then you should take the time to play with them. We took some of her foam blocks and were building bridges for the train to go under. We built a station so we can stop the train and pick up imaginary people. I think if you take the time with your child and use your imagination, you can make this train interactive enough for them to leave it on the tracks! The original track that comes in the box is a perfect size to fit under our tree. We have a 7.5' tree and the tracks are slightly bigger in circumference. The power connection from the control box to the tracks does not have a tight fit so if it is bumped too much it does lose its connection. But that is a super easy fix. Overall I am super happy with this train. My husband wanted her to have one so she could pick it up and not break it, but I like the fact this train moves on it's own and is more realistic. My daughter loves this train too. Even if she can't pick it up and throw it around!
on July 23, 2015
Was looking for a starter set for my young kids that was not a cheap toy grade train, but definetly not hobby grade as a 3 year old is hard on everything. I remember Bachman from the 80's and the quality was so-so, but priced very reasonable. I was a bit shocked when I saw the prices of this type of set, so I figured the quality had been improved. The engine is a quite nice in the detailing and operation. It does not have the weighted fly wheels as a hobby grade unit will have, but the motor is very smooth and quiet. I was actually impressed. The knuckle couplers, even though plastic, work well as they have an actual spring unlike other manufacturers. The rolling stock is decent in detail and roll smoothly. Over all I am impressed with the quality for this caliber of train set and so far, it has survived the use by a 3 year old. I hope that it survives for many years to come.
on December 13, 2013
This my second "Bachmann"... inexpensive train set.... Look for my review of the Bachmann "Pacific Flyer" train set.

I am.. again... very please with the quailty and look of this set..

Only one issue ....the track must be perfectly level as this engine.. like the other set... is not very heavy so any slight grade will slow it down or the wheels will just spin . You can "weight" the engine but that could decrease it's pulling power a litlte .....so adding cars could be an issue. I just made sure my coffee table top" set was level.
My other set is under my coffee table on the carpet..on a plywood layout .... no issue with that one.

Otherwise.... A great "starter" set.. and a lot of train... for the $$$.
Set up is a snap.. very good directions for the HO train beginner.. "plug and play"
on January 2, 2017
Purchased for under the tree. Easy to assemble and worked right out of the box. Would be even better if it had a whistle or steam.
on December 5, 2013
Pro: Affordable, easy to set up, easy to operate, decently detailed locomotive, a time waster.

Con: Freight cars & caboose feels cheap. Runs a bit loud at full speed. A time waster.

Verdict: Good starter set for newbie like myself.

Just got this set for myself and set it up under Christmas tree. Set up was a breeze. The train was up and running in 20 minutes. Make sure to read the manual on track assembly. The tiny metal tracks and connectors need to line up and putting tracks together requires minimal efforts. If you are using more forces than closing a cooler lid to push tracks together, then track connectors are not lined up properly. Use your fingers or needle-nose plier to make small adjustments until they line-up, and push them together. It's a firm push, but does not require much force. Manual also stated setting up tracks where you want to lay them. This is to avoid twisting assembled tracks and un-align the connectors.

With my setup, I was able to run the train at full speed foward and reverse without derailments. And this is on short pile carpet. Tracks and train stability probably would be better on hard surfaces like a plywood board, but on carpet I can feel the light rumbles as the train makes its way around the oval.

Talking about the oval, it's about a 4' x 3' in size. For us it's perfect underneath a tree. But I'm already feeling the need to expand tracks for more variety. Even though I spent 3 hours just watching the train going around the oval last night, with no other track decorations. I guess this is how model trains get people to hook up. Once you have a taste, you just keep wanting more.

Overall a good starter set that provides hours of entertainment at a very affordable price. One note: not sure if the locomotive is DCC-compatible so might run into some issues later when expanding. Bachmann's DCC controller supposedly is able to connect with the basic controller that come with this set. I will see when I get to that point.
on May 29, 2015
Our 3 year old loves it, has taken the engine in the bathtub and I've found it outside a few times in the sand box. Each time I put it back on the track it works like new. Go figure. Very kid friendly, most toys I buy for him that he likes I expect to buy a couple more before he's moved on to something new, this one has outlasted his interest, unless I find it and put it back into service. Thank you Bachmann, old school toy built to last.