Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on November 23, 2012
 I bought this Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree this year. I was thinking of getting the bigger O or G scale train, but the HO is the perfect size and I'm really glad I went with it. The HO size has a perfectly sized track that fits under the Christmas tree without needing the typical 4'X 8' space that most larger trains need for the track. The Locomotive is the heaviest of the train pieces and most well built piece, but that's because the other train pieces just need to roll behind it. Overall I'm really happy with the build quality, and the track was super easy to snap together. The conductor controls are also really easy to use and my 2 year old quickly learned how to move the train forward and in reverse in a manner of minutes. I would recommend this train to anyone looking for a train set for under the Christmas tree. Great Price, fairly quiet, and great size!

**Here is some video I took of the train to help you see how it looks and operates. I was running the train at about 1/3 of the full speed. The train operates and stays on the track at full speed as long as the track is completely level on the floor, or on a table.
77 comments| 315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 7, 2017
PROS / The E-Z snap-together track is simple to piece together.

CONS / The wheels sometimes fall off the train cars.

VERDICT / It is a bit of a nuisance that the wheels sometimes fall off the train cars, but this simple four-car train set is a decent beginner set for an aspiring model enthusiast.

The Bachmann Thoroughbred is an HO-scaled model that features a locomotive, hopper, gondola and caboose. This electric train set comes with a 47-inch by 38-inch oval track. The track pieces snap together using Bachmann's E-Z track

The track includes 12 curved pieces of track and two straight pieces. One of the straight pieces is the terminal, where the power source plugs into the track. The track is powered by a gray box with a dial in the center that controls the speed of the train and the direction the train goes. It is connected to the track by two wires – it is not a remote control and does not require batteries to operate.
on December 13, 2015
Great starter train. Arrived missing wheels but company was wonderful to deal with & quickly set out replacements. Would have given 5 stars if it was easier to set on track, but looks beautiful around our Christnas tree.
review image
on December 13, 2013
This my second "Bachmann"... inexpensive train set.... Look for my review of the Bachmann "Pacific Flyer" train set.

I am.. again... very please with the quailty and look of this set..

Only one issue ....the track must be perfectly level as this engine.. like the other set... is not very heavy so any slight grade will slow it down or the wheels will just spin . You can "weight" the engine but that could decrease it's pulling power a litlte .....so adding cars could be an issue. I just made sure my coffee table top" set was level.
My other set is under my coffee table on the carpet..on a plywood layout .... no issue with that one.

Otherwise.... A great "starter" set.. and a lot of train... for the $$$.
Set up is a snap.. very good directions for the HO train beginner.. "plug and play"
on December 5, 2013
Pro: Affordable, easy to set up, easy to operate, decently detailed locomotive, a time waster.

Con: Freight cars & caboose feels cheap. Runs a bit loud at full speed. A time waster.

Verdict: Good starter set for newbie like myself.

Just got this set for myself and set it up under Christmas tree. Set up was a breeze. The train was up and running in 20 minutes. Make sure to read the manual on track assembly. The tiny metal tracks and connectors need to line up and putting tracks together requires minimal efforts. If you are using more forces than closing a cooler lid to push tracks together, then track connectors are not lined up properly. Use your fingers or needle-nose plier to make small adjustments until they line-up, and push them together. It's a firm push, but does not require much force. Manual also stated setting up tracks where you want to lay them. This is to avoid twisting assembled tracks and un-align the connectors.

With my setup, I was able to run the train at full speed foward and reverse without derailments. And this is on short pile carpet. Tracks and train stability probably would be better on hard surfaces like a plywood board, but on carpet I can feel the light rumbles as the train makes its way around the oval.

Talking about the oval, it's about a 4' x 3' in size. For us it's perfect underneath a tree. But I'm already feeling the need to expand tracks for more variety. Even though I spent 3 hours just watching the train going around the oval last night, with no other track decorations. I guess this is how model trains get people to hook up. Once you have a taste, you just keep wanting more.

Overall a good starter set that provides hours of entertainment at a very affordable price. One note: not sure if the locomotive is DCC-compatible so might run into some issues later when expanding. Bachmann's DCC controller supposedly is able to connect with the basic controller that come with this set. I will see when I get to that point.
on January 2, 2018
Unopened box from seller;however,it only had 11 pcs of track instead of the 12 needed to make largest circle.Pitiful small cirlcle of track really disappointed grandson and family.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2017
A finely detailed product that will please the most demanding experts.
on January 21, 2017
I ordered this for my husband for Christmas. He was delighted with the set and is looking forward to collecting more.
on January 6, 2014
Purchased this set on Amazon for my 11-year-old Christmas a year ago, and he has been enjoying this set tremendously. When an engine broke just recently (within the 1-year warranty period), the Bachmann company offered fast, courteous and professional service to repair/replace the engine. They have also been very helpful on the phone when I was seeking advice on expansion sets for more tracks, and most recently an upgrade to the DCC Bachmann EZ Command controller, which allows a user to individually control multiple trains simultaneously. The DCC EZ Command controller set is another outstanding product, which I also found on Amazon. Search Bachmann Trains Digital Commander Ready - To - Run DCC - Equipped Ho Train Set.
In sum, the Thoroughbred Ready-to-Run HO Scale Train Set is a perfect starter set. If your hobbyist likes this set, you can upgrade to the DCC set. This is a very good product, outstanding value and excellent service behind the product! Highly recommended.
on January 12, 2017
This is my son's first electric train. I played with trains growing up and thought he might get as much joy out of it as I did. He set up the track and had it running within 10 minutes. This set only comes with an oval track and no other accessories. But for the price, it's a great starter set and it runs great.