Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 23, 2012
 I bought this Bachmann train set to put under the Christmas tree this year. I was thinking of getting the bigger O or G scale train, but the HO is the perfect size and I'm really glad I went with it. The HO size has a perfectly sized track that fits under the Christmas tree without needing the typical 4'X 8' space that most larger trains need for the track. The Locomotive is the heaviest of the train pieces and most well built piece, but that's because the other train pieces just need to roll behind it. Overall I'm really happy with the build quality, and the track was super easy to snap together. The conductor controls are also really easy to use and my 2 year old quickly learned how to move the train forward and in reverse in a manner of minutes. I would recommend this train to anyone looking for a train set for under the Christmas tree. Great Price, fairly quiet, and great size!

**Here is some video I took of the train to help you see how it looks and operates. I was running the train at about 1/3 of the full speed. The train operates and stays on the track at full speed as long as the track is completely level on the floor, or on a table.
316 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on March 4, 2012
The train arrived very promptly (Prime) and was in great shape. The cost was around $74. Store price was around $95. It only has three cars but that is enough. Our six year old grand son is able to put the track together, put the cars and train on the track and enjoys connecting the cars and running the train. It is the combination of the houses, small buildings, gas station and imagination that makes it such a fine item. He is continually changing the layout of the buildings around the track. For a few dollars you can go to the Dollar Store and buy some moss sheets that he uses as a field and some other items he was able to turn into shrubs. Its all about the imagination. This product is the melody to the harmony of creation in encouraging a young child's mind.
63 people found this helpful
on January 7, 2017
PROS / The E-Z snap-together track is simple to piece together.

CONS / The wheels sometimes fall off the train cars.

VERDICT / It is a bit of a nuisance that the wheels sometimes fall off the train cars, but this simple four-car train set is a decent beginner set for an aspiring model enthusiast.

The Bachmann Thoroughbred is an HO-scaled model that features a locomotive, hopper, gondola and caboose. This electric train set comes with a 47-inch by 38-inch oval track. The track pieces snap together using Bachmann's E-Z track

The track includes 12 curved pieces of track and two straight pieces. One of the straight pieces is the terminal, where the power source plugs into the track. The track is powered by a gray box with a dial in the center that controls the speed of the train and the direction the train goes. It is connected to the track by two wires – it is not a remote control and does not require batteries to operate.
2 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2015
Great starter train. Arrived missing wheels but company was wonderful to deal with & quickly set out replacements. Would have given 5 stars if it was easier to set on track, but looks beautiful around our Christnas tree.
review image
8 people found this helpful
on April 24, 2017
I don't know where to start... I have been buying hundreds of products on Amazon for as long as I can remember and this is by far the worst one.... If you want to get utterly frustrated and throw everything out of the window, this is the right one. In short train takes an act of god to be properly set on the rails and after hours of meaningless efforts it simply does not stay on... I wish I had not discard the box and I would return that piece of junk immediately.... nothing was ever as frustrating as this thing......
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 13, 2013
This my second "Bachmann"... inexpensive train set.... Look for my review of the Bachmann "Pacific Flyer" train set.

I am.. again... very please with the quailty and look of this set..

Only one issue ....the track must be perfectly level as this engine.. like the other set... is not very heavy so any slight grade will slow it down or the wheels will just spin . You can "weight" the engine but that could decrease it's pulling power a litlte .....so adding cars could be an issue. I just made sure my coffee table top" set was level.
My other set is under my coffee table on the carpet..on a plywood layout .... no issue with that one.

Otherwise.... A great "starter" set.. and a lot of train... for the $$$.
Set up is a snap.. very good directions for the HO train beginner.. "plug and play"
4 people found this helpful
on December 22, 2015
This is a beautiful little train & since it had a high review rating as well as mentioned in the top ten toy trains of 2015, I hate to post a bad review, but feel that a different point of view might he helpful to potential buyers. I can't say whether this train or the track was faulty, only that the train we received would not stay on the track. I definitely would not recommend it for a child. We bought this to go around our Christmas tree, with our grandson in mind. First, it was extremely difficult to place on the track since the wheels & track are rather small, plus there is plastic on the outside of the locomotive wheels, making it very hard to see where the wheels should go. The track is fairly easy to connect, but the train car connections are very loose & sensitive, so easy to become disconnected. We finally got the train to go around the track once, with no other cars attached, at a slow speed, but it hangs up very easily. Considering we had it set on carpet around our Christmas tree, we thought we might try it on a hard surface floor, which we did; however it made no difference. If two adults, both having previously owned similar toy trains, couldn't get it to stay on the track, we thought a child would have little chance to enjoy it. So, we sent it back for a refund & are very pleased with Amazon's quick & easy return policy. It was picked up at our house & refunded almost immediately, so for that we're very grateful. Later today we went to a local store & purchased another toy train for 1/3 of this cost & it runs like a champ. It's a little larger with larger wheels & has more functions. By comparison, the cheaper one has plastic track & doesn't look like it would be as sturdy, however when it started up, it was slightly off the track & kept chugging along. So, this is one time where good reviews & quality materials just didn't do as good a job as a cheaper version - go figure :)
7 people found this helpful
on May 29, 2015
Our 3 year old loves it, has taken the engine in the bathtub and I've found it outside a few times in the sand box. Each time I put it back on the track it works like new. Go figure. Very kid friendly, most toys I buy for him that he likes I expect to buy a couple more before he's moved on to something new, this one has outlasted his interest, unless I find it and put it back into service. Thank you Bachmann, old school toy built to last.
3 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2014
My grandson turned 5. He loves trains so much. So I got him this train, put it together, I noticed while checking the rail like the directions said to do there was a rise in a piece of track. I interchanged several pieces but the same bump stayed. As he was playing with it he turned the speed up a little to fast and it jumped the track, hit the floor and broke off the thing that gets electricity. I decided when he is 20 we might try again. Very pleased with the way the seller handled it.
3 people found this helpful
on January 2, 2017
Purchased for under the tree. Easy to assemble and worked right out of the box. Would be even better if it had a whistle or steam.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.