Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 90 reviews
on November 7, 2016
Put train on my track, the engine lit and did not run, tried my other transformer thinking it was the transformer but the same thing happened. The transformer that came with it was inferior quality. I did not want to wait for a replacement from Amazon so went to a local Hobby store and purchased the exact same Thunder Valley Bachmann set. It was $10 more.

Not only did the engine work, but the transformer with the set from the Hobby store (which again was the exact same Bachmann Thunder Valley set in the same box) was the same quality as the transformer I have on my other set and the whole system worked like a charm. It was very clear as soon as I opened the box that there was a much higher quality transformer included with the set from the Hobby store.
on September 2, 2017
I've all ways wanted a train set. I'm 56 yrs old and my dream has come true. I bought the Bachman Trains Thunder Vally. It was easy to put the track together, the transformer worked great and even the lights come on as it runs around the track. I found a new hobbie!
Its a great starter set. From this set, i will built city!
Thank you Bachman and thank you Amazon. It arrived in 2 days and packaged it perfectly. Can't wait to grow my city.
on September 27, 2015
Unfortunately, the electric train engine does not work. The electrical connection between the wheels & the motor is faulty. The one train locomotive engine is the only item which needs to be replaced. Please email me & advise what we should do.
on January 6, 2017
This is a great set to get yourself started in the world of miniature train sets. It comes with an engine and 3 cars. The track included in this kit is the "EZ Track" system which comes only curved track. I have since purchased additional straight and curved pieces to expand my track as well as additional cars. There are plenty of videos on YT with Bachman EZ track layouts, wiring, and modeling. Note that this kit is the "analog" system and not the "DCC". For other newbies like me you have probably figured out that this is an expensive hobby. The cheapest engines are around $45, the cheapest cars range from $17 to $27, and then additional track and accessories. Not sure how far I will take it but it has been fun so far.
on September 16, 2017
I bought this as a started set because I needed the track. I have a few engines and no way to run them. This set went together and was running in no time. It came with instructions but I never opened them.
on October 26, 2013
This is a very we'll made train set. Small scale but works very well. Not for very young but my 11 year old grandson can assemble and operate it.
on February 1, 2015
Packaging etc was good. The problem starts when you unwrap and put it together. Many of the rail joiners were not properly fitted so that all of the track segments would go together easy it's suppose to be E-Z track. Then after that many of the sections would not conduct elect. properly so, i had to use pliers to tighten many of the rail joiners so smooth operation could be attained. The engine runs fine but, the headlight(led), won't put out enough light to run in the dark and all of the couplers on every car included are junk. They wont stay coupled without lifting each car up off track and incerting into the next one. Totally unacceptable and I'll scratch Bachman off my list.
on December 16, 2015
2 stars only because it is a nice-looking set of cars and engine. Other than that, mine made about a half dozen laps around the track, stuttered and died. No amount of disconnecting, reconnecting, track checking, wheel placing or any other type of troubleshooting would bring it back to life. Pretty disappointing for my first new train set since I was a kid.
on January 19, 2017
Very disappointed with the arrival of the product. The couplers don't connect to each other, so they send replacements in the box - but the replacements are not N scale, so the cars are an unrealistic distance apart and it looks so hoky. It was disappointing that the first thing you need to do upon opening the package is to get out a screwdriver and make repairs.
on December 27, 2016
Let me preface by saying that N-Gauge trains are quite delicate and need to be handled with care. Having said that this particular set has a design flaw that will stop you in your tracks--The GP 40 Diesel Locomotive couplers have a "snap fit" type cover that holds the actual coupler in place. The rest of the included cars use screws and have replacement couplers. But because of the locomotive's coupler design, the coupler cover "pops off", which in turn allows the coupler to fall out. This will happen under normal use, i.e just while pulling the three included cars around the track. I have included pictures of my attempt to keep the coupler cover attached, but in the end the coupler still fell out from the cover.
Soooo, long story short: Because of this design flaw the engine is very soon rendered useless. Buy only if you also buy several other locomotives to replace the included one that will break.
PROS:
1) Nice details (on par with Lionel O Gauge), and other than the explanation above, good build quality
2) E-Z track is actually easy-- a 6 year old can figure it out.

CONS:
1) No straight track pieces included in this set--all you can build is a perfect circle track
2) Aforementioned coupler system on locomotive is a design flaw
review image review image review image review image