Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 27, 2012
I run a small fried pie shop and make my own apple filling out of fresh apples. Naturally, I use peelers and have gone through many of them with varying results. Some cut the slices fine but don't stick to the countertop. Some take a huge amount of adjustment and then the screws never stick tight enough, even using a pair of pliers! The good news about this one is that it sticks to the countertop, doesn't move once the screws are tightened, it cuts the core wide enough that I'm not having to grab a knife to cut the tough bits of the core or even the seeds off of the cut slices, and you can peel the whole apple and then use the handle to pop the core off without bending the cutter blade. However - the slices are uneven and often it mutilates the apple. Personally, I'd rather deal with that than the problems inherent with the other peelers. I'd recommend this one over the others, with the knowledge that *all* peelers have issues.
on December 26, 2006
We use it all the time. Works great. Takes a bit of practice to adjust it right and line up the core. Does not work well on some apples.
on March 28, 2011
I recieved my apple and potato peeler in good condition and on time. My first time using the Peeler I used it for apples and discovered a few things that might help others who have bought this and or considering to buy it. Medium or Small sized apples work the best on this peeler. Do a test run on one apple to see if you need to adjust the peeling blade or the angle of the apple, make sure the apple is aligned so it does not wobble while turning as this will affect the spiral cutting and cause it to push the core thru the apple without a spiral cut. after working out the adjustments I discovered one other thing if you turn the apple too slow it will also cause the apple to core without peeling or cutting turn the crank at a decent speed as to avoid this from happening as often. I have not had the chance to use it for potato's an update will be forth coming.
on December 31, 2015
Faced with a pie recipe that called for five pounds of apples, I found this product a Godsend. It peeled the apples quickly, and relatively easily. However, the suction cup did nothing on my Formica countertops. The only way I could use the device was to hold the base against the counter with one hand while cranking the handle with the other. Also, the blade tended to gouge larger fruit. So, there's a trade off for quick peeling.
on September 27, 2008
I took a chance and ordered this after seeing it recommended in Women First. I was surprised to see the positive reviews on Amazon for a tool that I had seen, but suspected of being useless. I got the package and tried it immediately. Surpise! Surprise! It works perfectly, exactly as advertised. I had a soft apple available,and it peeled it, sliced it and cored it without a whimper. I am really happy with it and expect hours of use in prep for apple sauce, apple tarts, apple pies, apple cakes and just plain apple slices. Well worth the money.
on October 22, 2010
I bought this because it was the highest rated apple peeler/corer/slicer by Cook's Illustrated. We processed over two bushels of apples in a day with it. It works really well, as long as you have it adjusted properly. I do wish that it could peel and core without slicing, and I wish I could adjust how thick the slices are. I also got some rusting around the spring and the screw, so I wish that they were stainless. Overall, though, a cheap product that does exactly what it's supposed to and saved me hours.
Well, it has that novelty thing going for it. Kids especially seem to find it fun to use. So for the fun-nifty factor, this pretty much checks all the boxes.

On the other hand, for actually peeling things, well, it's not all that efficient. If you only have a couple of things to peel its fine, but more than two or three apples/potatoes/whatever and it's faster to just use a regular peeler.

I will say the suction cup held the peeler to the table/counter nice and securely, and that is about 90% of the product...if it isn't secure, it's not going to work. So yes, this works as described, but again for large quantities of product you're going to want to get a regular old Oxo Grips peeler.
on January 8, 2016
Pro:
Best suction cup I've used for this kind of tool. Keeps it stable and saves me time from readjusting.
Easy to clean/rinse.
Smooth working mechanisms and well designed.

Con:
Unless the apple is really hard, the peeler takes off more than I would prefer.
A bit bulky wrt storage

Overall, saves me a lot of time when making apple pie or apple crisp. Would recommend if you make either one with any regularity. I make both more often now that I have a good apple peeler/corer (my last one was temperamental) and would purchase this model again if needed.
on August 28, 2009
Item works on most apples. Insure you place it correctly to get the whole core or it will punch through without cutting apple. Otherwise, it seems to work just fine.
on November 13, 2013
Simple to put together, simple to use. Solid materials and construction and it works well saving a lot of time and effort on a busy canning day. Would have given 5 stars if it was more adaptable to minor size, shape irregularities in the fruit. The measurement settings don't hold well and need readjusting fairly often. I used a neighbors and the settings never shifted at all so it may just be the one I got. Vacuum seal will release, usually when removing the apple core from the tine.

Seller was excellent - arrived before schedule and was exactly as expected - in brand new condition.