Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Back to Black [Vinyl]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on July 4, 2016
I am honestly so glad that I finally caved and ordered this vinyl. I had never gotten into vinyl's up until a few months ago. I decided to purchase a record player and got "The Neighborhoods" new album on vinyl to go with it. When I played that the sound quality and just over all experience was completely amazing. So after knowing I know loved vinyl I saw this and had to get it. I grew up on Amy Whinehouse and she has always been one of my favorite artists. I already had the album on my phone but after she died I wanted something physical to remember what a great artist she was and to have something to remember what an amazing talent she was.
I recommend this product to anyone that loved Amy as much as I did. You really wont regret the purchase when you have it with you in person and can see and listen to this amazing woman and remember how truly amazing she was
on September 22, 2015
Bad rating because I received two replacements and they both are skipping and the songs mix together. So i gave up trying to get another one, to much hassel. It's just the record because I have many others that play just fine on my record player.
on December 17, 2016
There are scratches threw the film wrapper into the record cover on the front and back also there is a indentation of the record into the cover. I have never seen that on a "new" record before. It obviously wasn't stored properly and mishandled. Will be returning.
on March 27, 2017
I only wish I'd gotten to know Amy Winehouse's music earlier. Some of this album is fun, some is dark and brooding, and a couple of songs are downright haunting now that she's gone. The mp3 tracks were an unexpected bonus with my CD purchase.
on October 23, 2017
I can't stop listening to this album and sometimes I wish I could because of this singer's untimely demise.
I feel that her feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness of love come through in a couple of songs so strongly, that I feel for her and want to remind her of those that do care for her, but alas, it is too late. But that is how much the music moves me, especially the song, "you know I'm no good."

Her unique look, powerful voice, soulful message and tragic story combine to make this an album that is hard to ignore.
on January 22, 2010
Amy Winehouse sounds incredibly authentic as the Detroit-via-London chanteuse who infuses each song with 60s Shangri-Las doo-wop plus some jazz and blues. It's as if some time machine dropped on your CD player, pushed you back 40 years, and ten lost gems just tumbled out. However, the lyrics don't speak to bubblegum sensibilities -- heartache, relationship upheavals, and personal downfalls inhabit these songs. Amazing that she wrote or co-wrote all the songs. An incredible emotive talent with the perfect voice for this project. I did want to note that the tracks produced by Salaam Remi (ex: Me & Mr Jones) sound much cleaner than those produced by Mark Ronson (ex: "Rehab") who tries a bit too hard to recreate that mono-ish 60s wall of sound. This is not a high-fidelity release.
Although it tends to be an American genre, England has produced a number of R&B vocalists. Perhaps the best known is Dusty Springfield (1939-1999), who took a cue from jazz artist Peggy Lee and combined it with the soul inflections of such girl groups as Martha and the Vandellas. In similar fashion, Amy Winehouse (b. 1983) works on the foundation laid by Dinah Washington and combines it the style of such 1960s girl groups as The Ronettes. But if Springfield is the white diamond of the R&B world, Winehouse is the black opal: the two may come from essentially the same musical space, but Springfield burns while Winehouse sizzles.

Winehouse first gained fame with the 2003 recording FRANK, which won several awards, was critically applauded, and quickly went platinum in sales. Winehouse herself was less enthusiastic about it, considering too commercial and too slick, and when she went back into the studio she demanded and got greater control over the production. The result was the 2006 BACK TO BLACK, easily one of the best R&B scorchers since Springfield's 1969 DUSTY IN MEMPHIS. By the time of its release, Winehouse had become a controversial figure, adopting Ronnie Spector's beehive hairdos and miniskirt dresses while drifting into alcohol and drugs in a way that quickly became infamous. On-going speculation about her chemical dependencies led Winehouse to write and record the album's signature cut: "Rehab," a strange mixture of R&B, South American edges, and slap-in-the-face, tough-girl lyrics that startled virtually everyone who heard it.

The remaining cuts--nine plus a remix--followed suit. Several of the cuts are very distinctly in the manner of Dinah Washington, perhaps most obviously "Me and Mr. Jones," but although Winehouse has clearly picked up licks from other artists she is never less than herself, an completely distinct and original voice, truly a "star" voice. Winehouse cultivates a slightly sleazy sound that proves a knock out on "You Know I'm Good," and each cut has a somewhat retro-quality that recalls the wall of sound, with the title "Back to Black" and its piano jitter, bell chords, and girl-voice-back-ups a marvelous case in point. While these four cuts leap off the album, every selection is very, very fine. No doubt about it, the woman can sing.

But wonders if she will continue to do so. Drug and alcohol problems, troubled romances, and publicity disasters have kept Winehouse largely silent on the music scene since BACK TO BLACK proved such an international smash. The music world has lost too many talents to drugs, and it is a tradition more honored in the breach than the observance. There are a lot of people hoping Amy Winehouse will pull back from the edge.

GFT, Amazon Reviewer
on July 22, 2016
I thought this would be a good addition to my collection. Unfortunately, the sound is horrible and there are lots of interruption in all tracks. I am so disappointed with this vinyl.
on November 6, 2013
Oh, Amy, why did you have to leave us, why, why, why?...Dear reader, do yourself a favor and if you have never heard her music before, get this one and feed your soul and mind with the talent of one of the most brilliant singers/composers that have ever shared her talent with the world. You are gonna cry and cringe and get sucked into another dimension, your heart is gonna get squeezed when you hear her love songs, yes, you are gonna think and remember all your lost loves and will share her pain, yes, you are gonna clap and dance to the amazingly beautiful songs and music she created for us. This is talent, this is a gift. The vinyl disc comes with free MP3s (Amazon sends them to your library once you purchase the vinyl) of all the songs to download to your Amazon music library, so you can listen to it in other devices any time you access your Amazon account (isn't Amazon amazing?), the quality of the sound from the vinyl is excellent, but beware, this has strong language so is not suited for kids (I'm sure you can find a G-rated version of her songs). By the way, I just got in the mood for more of her songs, so I'm getting another vinyl right now...
on August 11, 2013
"Back to Black" is hands-down one of my favorite albums and as someone who has listened to the digital album countless times with great quality headphones, I am extremely pleased with the vinyl. It was a bit strange to cross the throwback experience of vinyls with arguably one of the biggest songs of the 00's, "Rehab", but I assure you it is quite enjoyable.

Vinyl pressing does not fail in capturing the soul and raw emotion that transcends through Winehouse's music, and actually makes the music experience even greater. The format further highlights her soulful influences of the artists of the 50's, but also solidifies her raw talent in her own right. Overall, I am very happy with this product and the quality of its sound. I must say that while I love each song on this record, the sound of "Love is a Losing Game" on vinyl is so pure and powerful that I feel as if I'd be in the studio listening to Amy.

It is a true shame that Amy Winehouse passed so young, but listening to this album along with her other music (whether it be on vinyl or other formats) creates a comfort to her listeners that her music will be a huge impact for generations to come. This product does not fall short of solidifying her legacy.