Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Back to Black [Vinyl]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on July 4, 2016
I am honestly so glad that I finally caved and ordered this vinyl. I had never gotten into vinyl's up until a few months ago. I decided to purchase a record player and got "The Neighborhoods" new album on vinyl to go with it. When I played that the sound quality and just over all experience was completely amazing. So after knowing I know loved vinyl I saw this and had to get it. I grew up on Amy Whinehouse and she has always been one of my favorite artists. I already had the album on my phone but after she died I wanted something physical to remember what a great artist she was and to have something to remember what an amazing talent she was.
I recommend this product to anyone that loved Amy as much as I did. You really wont regret the purchase when you have it with you in person and can see and listen to this amazing woman and remember how truly amazing she was
on September 22, 2015
Bad rating because I received two replacements and they both are skipping and the songs mix together. So i gave up trying to get another one, to much hassel. It's just the record because I have many others that play just fine on my record player.
4 helpful votes
on March 9, 2013
I bought this on vinyl and it is a great addition to my collection. It's on regular grade vinyl , where as most of my newer vinyl is on 180 gram vinyl or higher, but it sounds as if it is pressed on 180 gram vinyl. The sound of the album is indeed very haunting, in a great way. I noticed that the tracks that Mark Ronson produced sound the best on this album. But they are all great to listen to and it's very sad she became a member of the "27 club".

Mark Ronson produced tracks 1,2,5,6,8 and 10. He really knows how to make a song sound great. Most people are more familiar with his DJ sister Samantha Ronson, Lindsey Lohan's ex-girlfriend. I think that he is however the star in the family. Mark has produced many artist throughout his career. He has worked with the likes of Jack White, Lily Allen and one of my all time favorites, Macy Gray. Amy Winehouse is no exception as a favorite either. He also DJ's and has a band called Mark Ronson & The Business Int. His band is worth a listen, as I really like a lot of their music. Not sure if they are still together, but still worth a listen.

If you are a collector of vinyl or have a turntable, buy this on vinyl, even if you have the CD or iTunes version, you will not be disappointed. I bought this mostly because it was on sale. I do not know if the deluxe version is available or not, I did not look as I own that version on CD anyway, but the album sounds much better than the digital CD version. I guess everything old becomes new again and I am delighted to see the return and repressing of a lot of the old vinyl album I wish I still had. I think this particular album sound so great because it is the original pressing of the album. A lot of the older, remastered, re-pressings do not sound very well, even the 180 gram versions. A lot depends on the question if and by whom it was remastered. Pete Townshend did a great job with remastering Quadrophenia.

A lot of people ask me, "Why spend so much on outdated material, everything is digital now?" One , it sound incredible with the right equipment, and two, it is the format I grew up on. I love albums, there is so much more to look at than a jewel box. I also like SACD's as well, but they are real pricey and hard to find the artist you might like. I own about thirty of these, some where more of a compromise of price and artist, but if you are an audiophile, you can tell a big difference between a regular mp3 and a 24 bit 160 kHz music stream. My DAC is the most important piece of gear I own. Luckily my Blu-ray player plays High Definition SACD's or I would have bought a different one a long time ago.

I do think that the audiophile grade pressings, 180 grams and higher, are much better sounding on my system, but they are more expensive than the regular re-pressings. Usually an original, if it has been taken care of sounds the best but there are some exceptions and this one is a great example. I also have to say how much I love Amazons new way of packing albums, much better than the past. Great job on the new packaging technique.
on December 17, 2016
There are scratches threw the film wrapper into the record cover on the front and back also there is a indentation of the record into the cover. I have never seen that on a "new" record before. It obviously wasn't stored properly and mishandled. Will be returning.
on March 27, 2017
I only wish I'd gotten to know Amy Winehouse's music earlier. Some of this album is fun, some is dark and brooding, and a couple of songs are downright haunting now that she's gone. The mp3 tracks were an unexpected bonus with my CD purchase.
on October 23, 2017
I can't stop listening to this album and sometimes I wish I could because of this singer's untimely demise.
I feel that her feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness of love come through in a couple of songs so strongly, that I feel for her and want to remind her of those that do care for her, but alas, it is too late. But that is how much the music moves me, especially the song, "you know I'm no good."

Her unique look, powerful voice, soulful message and tragic story combine to make this an album that is hard to ignore.
on August 23, 2017
I ordered this on vinyl, and while the record sounds great, the product title specifically says "Back to Black Explicit Lyrics Vinyl + Audio CD | LP (12" album, 33 rpm), Import". Not sure whether it is actually an import or not, but I only received the record and no audio CD. So a bit bummed about that, I was hoping to have a CD to keep in my car but apparently not. For $12.88, its still not a bad deal for just the record, but Amazon may want to change the product title if they do not plan on actually sending you a CD with it, since it is a blatant lie.
on January 22, 2010
Amy Winehouse sounds incredibly authentic as the Detroit-via-London chanteuse who infuses each song with 60s Shangri-Las doo-wop plus some jazz and blues. It's as if some time machine dropped on your CD player, pushed you back 40 years, and ten lost gems just tumbled out. However, the lyrics don't speak to bubblegum sensibilities -- heartache, relationship upheavals, and personal downfalls inhabit these songs. Amazing that she wrote or co-wrote all the songs. An incredible emotive talent with the perfect voice for this project. I did want to note that the tracks produced by Salaam Remi (ex: Me & Mr Jones) sound much cleaner than those produced by Mark Ronson (ex: "Rehab") who tries a bit too hard to recreate that mono-ish 60s wall of sound. This is not a high-fidelity release.
0Comment|Report abuse
Although it tends to be an American genre, England has produced a number of R&B vocalists. Perhaps the best known is Dusty Springfield (1939-1999), who took a cue from jazz artist Peggy Lee and combined it with the soul inflections of such girl groups as Martha and the Vandellas. In similar fashion, Amy Winehouse (b. 1983) works on the foundation laid by Dinah Washington and combines it the style of such 1960s girl groups as The Ronettes. But if Springfield is the white diamond of the R&B world, Winehouse is the black opal: the two may come from essentially the same musical space, but Springfield burns while Winehouse sizzles.

Winehouse first gained fame with the 2003 recording FRANK, which won several awards, was critically applauded, and quickly went platinum in sales. Winehouse herself was less enthusiastic about it, considering too commercial and too slick, and when she went back into the studio she demanded and got greater control over the production. The result was the 2006 BACK TO BLACK, easily one of the best R&B scorchers since Springfield's 1969 DUSTY IN MEMPHIS. By the time of its release, Winehouse had become a controversial figure, adopting Ronnie Spector's beehive hairdos and miniskirt dresses while drifting into alcohol and drugs in a way that quickly became infamous. On-going speculation about her chemical dependencies led Winehouse to write and record the album's signature cut: "Rehab," a strange mixture of R&B, South American edges, and slap-in-the-face, tough-girl lyrics that startled virtually everyone who heard it.

The remaining cuts--nine plus a remix--followed suit. Several of the cuts are very distinctly in the manner of Dinah Washington, perhaps most obviously "Me and Mr. Jones," but although Winehouse has clearly picked up licks from other artists she is never less than herself, an completely distinct and original voice, truly a "star" voice. Winehouse cultivates a slightly sleazy sound that proves a knock out on "You Know I'm Good," and each cut has a somewhat retro-quality that recalls the wall of sound, with the title "Back to Black" and its piano jitter, bell chords, and girl-voice-back-ups a marvelous case in point. While these four cuts leap off the album, every selection is very, very fine. No doubt about it, the woman can sing.

But wonders if she will continue to do so. Drug and alcohol problems, troubled romances, and publicity disasters have kept Winehouse largely silent on the music scene since BACK TO BLACK proved such an international smash. The music world has lost too many talents to drugs, and it is a tradition more honored in the breach than the observance. There are a lot of people hoping Amy Winehouse will pull back from the edge.

GFT, Amazon Reviewer
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 22, 2016
I thought this would be a good addition to my collection. Unfortunately, the sound is horrible and there are lots of interruption in all tracks. I am so disappointed with this vinyl.