Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 114 reviews
on April 17, 2017
"Back in the High Life" is an essential album for anyone who wants to truly know musical talent at its greatest height. Winwood's amazing vocals and unparalleled skills with the organ and piano are alone reasons to buy every Steve Winwood album, but this album is especially notable for his blend of accessible, yet complex song arrangements. There are literally no weak points to this fantastic work. The truly great artists are more than the sum of their hit singles. You get mega hits like "Higher Love" and "Back in the High Life Again", however there are also gems like "Freedom Overspill" and the heartfelt, "My Love's Leavin", that are no less great. In the interests of brevity I could go on and on, but I will stop. Buy it now, you will be happy that you did.
on March 2, 2017
nice. used but very good condition
on April 22, 2017
Great disc!
on April 20, 2017
Just what I was looking for.
on January 31, 2016
I bought this originally when it came out in vinyl and later on CD. I've never reviewed it until 12 or more years later as I'm sitting here now. You might say that for me, things have turned around and I'm "Back in the high life again". Nice rhythmic bluesy sound and beat, yet very uplifting music. Thanks, Steve for your great music!
on January 21, 2014
...one of the very best albums of the 1980s, or any decade. It is, in fact, an album that transcends a genre classification and would easily be one of the the choices among my "Top 5 Desert Island Discs." It's just that good.
on February 24, 2013
Bought this to replace an analog copy (tape) that I no longer use, because well... who listens to tapes? I have 4-6 mp3 players as small or smaller than a tape cassette and they sound better. I will definitely enjoy having a better quality version of this album.
on May 20, 2014
Having left Stevie behind after Traffic's "All Join In" and Blind Faith, I missed the original release of Back In The Highlife. In a very bad time in my working life, I happened to hear the title song as I was lamenting my fate to myself in a hotel bar in L.A. - a city that is not my home. It knocked me out, totally and literally turned my head around(the bar combo was playing the song behind me), but imagine my chagrin when I returned home and found that due to some contract dispute that Winwood was involved in, the album was nowhere available! A sympathetic colleague saved me with a copied cassette and I have cherished every song on this album ever since. Now I am delighted to own what appear to be copies of the original masters on CD.
on September 3, 2014
It's got a nice easy going vibe, a pleasant sound that mixes '70's jazz-rock a'la Traffic with the synthNdrum-machine sound of the '80's, and the melodies are pretty good or better throughout the CD, but pretty much every song on this CD goes on endlessly for little or no benefit of the audience. If musicians want to jam[noodle], that's perfectly doable without recording it and passing it off as a product worth anyone's consideration. It's maybe worth buying (and keeping) if you're made of money and have the space necessary to house this and every other half baked album that ever got made....
77 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2014
Music. So much about it is the associations within your life. But that said, if you have a sense of rhythm and like a syncopated rhythm and blues feel it is hard not to like this CD. Give me your higher love...well think about that for a minute...it is like a gospel song sung to a sexy momma God--will I go to Hell for that?