Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Back to the Roots Water Garden - Mini Aquaponics B..." and save 25% off the $99.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Back to the Roots Water Garden
- 50% fewer cleanings than traditional fish tanks! The fish waste fertilizes the plants, and the plants clean the water — so your water stays cleaner and healthier, longer!
- Self-Cleaning: The fish waste fertilizes the plants, and the plants clean the water — no weekly water changes needed!
- Quick Harvest: You'll be able to start harvesting the included organic microgreen seeds in just 10 days, giving you the freshest ingredients for smoothies or salad toppings right at your fingertips!
- Everything included: 3-gallon fish tank, 3 month’s supply of herb and microgreen seeds, Growstones, growbed, decorative gravel, silent water pump, water treatment, natural fertilizer, fish food, and a coupon for a betta fish.
- Makes a perfect gift or classroom project to teach about DIY aquaponics & ecosystems. We hope to help every family experience the magic of growing their own food & make gardening part of every school curriculum!
- FREE downloadable online curriculum for kids about the science behind aquaponics
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The award-winning Water Garden has been beautifully redesigned with an elegant curved tank, double the growing space, custom grow pods for easy planting and harvesting, and improved accessibility to customize your fish's home. This self-cleaining fish tank lets you easily grown your own organic sprouts & herbs all year-round. Great for kitchen counters or school classrooms. Purchase includes free access to accompanying STEM curriculum for kids ages 8-15.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I somehow managed to grow mold in my pods after about a month. No biggy, as I wasn't intending to actually ingest the wheatgrass or sprouts. I just wanted to see if anything would grow prior to me trying to grow other plants on this tank. The mold most likely developed from seeds that hadn't finished germinating, and weren't plucked out promptly (that's on me). I deconstructed the pods, and cleaned everything out, so now I'll grow something else instead.
But here's the other deal. If you're an aquarist, you'll also know that this tank will require other add-ons, not included with this tank. It actually says on one of their pamphlets that you should invest in a heater if you keep a beta in your tank. But if you're someone who has no clue about running a tank, and this is your first one, research a little on aquarium maintenance. You need to understand how to top off water, because it does evaporate, and add a little water conditioner every time you top off the water. You will need to clean the tank water. Period. There is waste build-up and decaying matter that accumulates over time, and this will kill your fish. You may need to buy a different filtration system. Not a fan of this one, but considering the size of the tank, no biggy. Also, probably best to cycle the tank (and yes, I know how tiny it is, but you can still kill a fish by having it go into shock), before placing your fish in the tank. You should probably clean that pump at least twice a month, not once a month, because you will not believe what is in that thing.... It's a lot of work for such a small tank... Personally, I like my other tanks.. and this one will do just fine hanging out in my kid's room.
We love the tanks and grow micro greens in them. We used the sprouts and wheat grass that came with them and then I got a packet of mixed microgreen seeds from the local greenhouse. We never had any issue getting them to sprout. They are short lived and do need to be replanted frequently but they are sprouts, not full plants. You do have to watch that seeds don’t fall down and get sucked into the pump because they will grow roots in there. I never had issues with mold or anything in the grow pods, beyond our own sloppy seed distribution, like other reviews have reported. The tank stays clean and fine as long as you keep the plants harvested and replanted. If you let them slow down/die off the tank gets gross really fast which is to be expected since they are the filtration. Essentially if you keep up with the plants and tank, and follow the instructions this is great fun for kids.
Most recent customer reviews
Fun way to grow your own food :)
From a great brand with good people.