Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on October 21, 2013
This nut roaster is fairly heavy-duty with a non-stick surface that is pretty effective. It does a great job with glazing nuts and includes recipes for different types of spicy and sweet glazed versions. You can tweak one of their recipes to your liking or totally make up your own recipe by choosing your own ingredients.

I tried the spiced glazed pecans with a bit of orange juice in the mix. They were lovely. Sugary glazed nuts are a treat and I'm probably going to make up a bunch in pretty Christmas jars to give away this season.

For healthier nuts, I also made my own version of Rosemary Almonds. I have lots of fresh rosemary growing around the house. The first batch that I made, I just added about a tablespoon of chopped rosemary leaves to the 1.5 cups of whole raw almonds as I roasted them on the stovetop. They were good, but the rosemary flavor was barely noticeable. The second batch (same amount of almonds), I first put the almonds into a bag with a few full sprigs of rosemary. I then rolled the bag around on the counter and between my hands for a couple of minutes...not enough to damage the almonds...but enough to bruise the rosemary leaves so that they'd release some of their oils on the nuts. I heated about a teaspoon or two of olive oil in the roaster, tossed in the almonds (minus the sprigs of rosemary), and added a scant tablespoon of chopped rosemary leaves and a sprinkling of sea salt also. I roasted the almonds until they darkened slightly and the almond smell became strong (but don't burn them). Much healthier than the sugary glazed nuts...but still quite tasty.

I'm planning on trying this roaster for coffee beans. A variety pack of green coffee beans has been ordered and I'll give it a try when they arrive. I'll update this review accordingly afterwards.

The roaster is easy to clean. The top crank simply lifts off which allows you to remove the stirring arm from the roaster to more easily clean the individual parts.
on May 4, 2011
I bought this for my retired dad to roast coffee in. It works GREAT for this porpose. The hardware used in the construction is top quality... Burly even... Not to mention that the non-stick surface doesn't get dirty AT ALL with coffee -- he's happy it won't need to be cleaned but maybe every dozen times.

It only takes ~8 minutes to roast green coffee to "second crack". I'm sure some automatic roasters can be more "consistant" but with this pan's dual-paddles, the coffee comes out remarkably consistant and at verry little effort.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 4, 2013
I got this to roast some nuts and for home roasting coffee. I have a small roaster that can be used over an open fire too, but this Nut Roaster roasts up to a cup of coffee beans and optimally about a half a cup or a little more to get a more even roast. I then dump the roasted coffee into the colander and head outside to get rid of the chaff and cool the beans. Same with nuts. The only flaw I have found is it needs a topper lid to keep the chaff from flying out over the top of the stove during the final minutes of roasting. It is a bit on the messy side to use. It works well though. If I had to buy another one I think I would get the Whirlypop and use it to roast nuts and coffee and it makes popcorn too. With its topper it is less messy to use and that and its capacity is its only advantage. I do love it and use it nearly daily. So, I would recommend it to others as long as you don't mind cleaning up chaff off your stove top, counter and floors. If its a still day and you remember not to breathe heavily or blow out your breath in exasperation at whatever is bugging you it pretty much stays in the pan, but any breeze and chaff goes everywhere.
VINE VOICEon October 29, 2009
I use a Behmor Home Coffee Roaster + 8 pounds coffee + free small grid roaster for my usual coffee roasting, but have one of these "nut roasters" to use for small batches and experimenting. I roast my decaf, needed only for parties to have a regular and decaf option, with the roaster and also fiddle around with roasting in parchment and trial batches. Works well with not too much cleanup required. Oh yeah, and it works well for glazing nuts as well.

I generally stick a thermometer into the beans at least a couple of times during the roasting process, but otherwise just use this roaster and a cup or so of green coffee beans. Roast by ear, listen for the first and second crack, and roast by eye/color.
77 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 21, 2013
While I know that this roaster is intended for nuts, I ordered it as an inexpensive solution to roasting coffee. This nut roaster does roast coffee. Most electric coffee roasters start at about $100. Given that electric coffee roasters are a lot faster, this rustic roaster is more for those who don't mind doing such things manually. Personally, I enjoy roasting my coffee the old fashioned way because I feel more in control of the roast itself. I mean, doing it manually offers you the opportunity to watch and hear the first crack, then the second (if you're going for a darker roast). In summary, you're in total control of the roast with this Back to Basics Nut Roaster.

Last, I want to touch on the quality of this rustic nut roaster. It is built solid like a hard anodized Calphalon pan! This thing is built tough! My only discrepancy with it is, that the handle comes loose from time-to-time. Luckily, it is an easy fix, but still, it can be a little annoying when it comes loose during roasting.
VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
I bought this for my husband to use to roast coffee beans. He uses it each week and have not had any issues. We are saving up to buy a larger roaster, but if you are just starting out and want to try roasting your own coffee beans, give this a try. It is simple to use and easy to clean. Be careful when stirring it, we use large pot holders, because as the beans crack they sometimes send shells up at you and they burn.
on November 2, 2014
JUNK. It has an 11 use max. Ordered Aug 22, used once a week to roast coffee. After 8th use middle pivot point fell apart during use. Handle and paddles scraped the non stick surface off into my coffee. Retightened bolt. Fell apart again on 11th use - this time middle pivot point came apart. Scraped more non stick surface off into my coffee. Now it's completely unrepairable. Past the one month return period. Junk. Get a stovetop popcorn popper instead. Disappointed in AMAZON cust serv
on October 26, 2014
After watching a TED talk about coffee beans, I was motivated to find something that could roast coffee beans evenly and quickly for my mom (I don't drink coffee myself). She said that the coffee was better than Folger's, and I'm given to understand that there are many more benefits to drinking coffee made from beans that have been recently roasted than the pre-roasted stuff that comes in cans and jars.

Bonus: there's nothing like roasting the beans yourself! Listen for the first and second cracks and enjoy the lovely smell.
on March 22, 2013
got this for my son in law for his birthday as a small coffee roaster he could use at home. The stir paddle didn't come close enough to the bottom of the pan to keep the beans moving and he had burned coffee and other beans that didn't get rotated into the mix to roast from the top. Not good for roasting coffee...
on May 14, 2012
I bought one of these for my husband a few years ago and he looked stumped. After a few batches, he is the hero. It washes easily. We ordered two more for gifts for friends. They, also, love theirs. We have had ours for about 4 years now and still love it. The roasted nuts make a great gift for co-workers and friends.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.