Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Backwoods Cutter Insect Repellent Pump-6 oz
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Design: Case Pack of 1|Change
Price:$14.70+ Free shipping

on June 10, 2011
I was quite pleased with the performance of this repellent. I am a fan of Jungle repellent but I have found this to work quite well. What I also like is that there is not too much greasiness and there is very little smell. With some other high DEET preparations an application can leave my children coughing and sputtering, not so with this product.
VINE VOICEon September 4, 2010
This works great. The only downside is that, while it says it's unscented, it still has a strong chemical smell. Not as bad as some other similar products, but definitely still noticable.
on September 1, 2013
I read reviews extensively before buying this, and Consumer Reports has it exactly right: this stuff WORKS, and it doesn't feel sticky or oily on your skin. Plus, I found that it doesn't have a horrible, chemically odor. At least, it wasn't as bad as other insect repellants I have used, and I have a very sensitive nose! The most important thing is that it worked. I took it to French Polynesia, and hoped to avoid the sand flea bites, and I sure did!
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2011
We bought this for a trip to the BVI - which has tons of mosquitoes, day and night. It worked pretty well. We still got a few bites, but not nearly as many as the night we went out without it.

There is another review saying this is not DEET. That is 100% incorrect. This is 23% DEET, which is a high as you will find in most normal bug sprays. It is good idea to wash it off after you come back inside or some people might have a reaction to the high DEET content. Not for little kids.

The spray bottle works very well.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2014
We camped (northern California) with our friends for a 3 day weekend and brought this with us. We were overrun with mosquitoes. They swarmed us EVERYWHERE, our faces, legs, feet, anything exposed, and anything covered with thin material. These were ruthless mosquitoes. It was crazy; it was so bad, we all started laughing at the ridiculousness of it. We wore this cutter and our friends wore the "family" off combined with dryer sheets (which are supposed to help). No matter what our friends tried, they were swarmed by dozens of mosquitoes. My boyfriend and I wore this cutter and had no swarm. We took pity on our friends and shared our ration of cutter with them until we ran out (thankfully it lasted the entire weekend). The swarm was still there, but not on us or our friends. The mosquitoes starting attacking the belly of our dog, so we sprayed the cutter on her and watched her closely to ensure she didn't lick herself and they stopped swarming her too.

This stuff is intense. It will leave a film on you and has a chemical smell (but tolerable, and I'm ultra sensitive to smells), but if you are going some place where there are serious mosquito problems, this would be the only brand I would recommend.
on July 17, 2011
I bought this for a hiking trip in New England's mountains. I neglected to take into account all of the black flies. I was quite protected from the large mosquitoes I saw on parts of the hike, but was constantly swarmed by black flies. I wish I would have found another product, as this did not work in the backwoods of New England. However, it would work well in areas without those pesky flies.
on October 12, 2013
Very happy that this product really works! We have so many deer ticks where we board our horses that every day we were coming home and checking each other and pulling off ticks. This has not happened since we started using this product!
on November 6, 2013
Worked well a repelling insects but the pumping mechanism is horrible. It would get stuck and sometimes leak out of the sides. I found that rinsing off the top with hot water after each use to rinse off the sticky residue helped but that isn't always an option when you're out and about. Still, I'd rather deal with this than use an aerosol based repellent (the propellants they use give me migraines).

Like all insect repellents, it isn't 100% effective but it seemed to be working pretty well. I had 15 mosquito bites in the first hour before I put any on - I had about that many in the following 11 days using it all the time).

The chemicals used in repellents are somewhat specific to insect species thus region. I was in the south Caribbean.

In summary: It works as well as you'd reasonably expect but the spraying mechanism can be annoying.
on February 6, 2014
Used in on a 5-day vacation to a tropical resort with flies everywhere including in the hotel lobby. I typically get bitten > 100 times in each trip. This time I had < 10 bites total, and most likely on parts that did not get enough spray.
Will not go on vacation without it.
on August 14, 2013
Buying from Colorado Precious Metals was a wonderful experience with good communication, and the product was as described and well packaged. Also, it arrived quickly which was greatly appreciated.

I'm extremely sensitive to fragrances to was happy to find this Backwoods Cutter Insect Repellent that keeps the bugs off me without causing nasal congestion. I can enjoy the outdoors again!

See 1 answered question