Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies Hardcover – January 10, 2013
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
* The color photos are helpful and well done
* The recipes are largely simple and easy to follow
* It covers a huge number of plants, and most of them are things people can realistically expect to find or grow themselves without trouble
* The writing is clear and easy to understand.
Unfortunately, a couple details seriously hamper the effectiveness of those great traits.
* The print is very small and the green font used to mark headings or differentiate text is so dark that it does not stand out well, seriously hampering their usefulness or visibility. I feel like I would need to go through this with a highlighter and block things out in different colors myself to be able to find anything reasonably quickly when I wanted it again.
* Maybe this is just personal preference, but there's no listing or discussion of remedies by condition. Although you can find conditions listed in the index (depression, for example) with page numbers for plants that might be applicable to treating them there is no direct, easy-to-reference discussion of the options for treating a given condition, what factors needs to be taken into consideration in selecting the method for your situation, etc. So unless you memorize the book, you're going to end up looking up and re-reading six or different herbs/plants every time you want to treat something specific to figure out what your options are and how to select the best one. Not exactly what I'd hope for in a reference book.
* Finally, there is no organized discussion of how to set up an herbal medicine cabinet, so the speak, using the knowledge in this book.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this book because I thought it would be a good addition to my library of herbal books. I have to say that I really like this book! Read morePublished 8 days ago by Nancy B.
Really love this book. I got it after seeing it at a fellow her alist and friend's house. I loved how informative yet easy to read it was. Read morePublished 1 month ago by NaturallyMama
This book is great! There is so much information about each herb as well as nice colorful pictures that enable you to identify what's growing around you locally. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Patricia E. Sommeling
Has alot of great information about plants and berries around the woods and explains uses for them.Published 2 months ago by Erik Hampton
This is one of my favorite Herbal type books that I own. It's very user friendly and easy to understand for any stage of herbalist and full of great identifying photographs.Published 2 months ago by Laura L