Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 298 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on March 22, 2013
First of all, this is absolutely stunning: Dan's voice is chillingly perfect, the melodies are fantastically haunting, and the lyrics are beautifully poetic and enchanting.

Bastille's songs are laced with simple rhythms but filled with haunting melodies that leave the listener still enveloped and entranced even after the song has ended.
Most bands are directly relatable to ones from the past, Bastille is not at all like this. It's fresh, new, and amazing as its subtle influences are many great ones. I'd also like to point out that so many of the songs are emotively based off of past events and fiction such as Icarus, Weight of Living Pt 1 (hidden track), Laura Palmer, Daniel in the Den, and Pompeii. What other artist has been able to put past stories and events to music and still reach the top of the charts?

So, all in all, best album of the year, no doubt. Five stars from me. If you're on the fence, don't be. I cannot wait for these guys to come see us in America!

Also, check out their "Other People's Heartbreak" cover albums if you're dying for more B∆STILLE.
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
I first heard "Oblivion" on The Vampire Diaries and wanted it so badly, but could not find it anywhere other than youtube. I kept searching, hoping it would eventually become available. Finally, I got my wish. I'm the kind of person that listens to samples from the entire CD before purchasing just one song, because a lot of the time I will like other songs on the album. When I listened to just samples off of "Bad Blood", I was extremely intrigued. I bought this for 18 dollars...quite steep for a 12 track album these days but I do NOT regret it one bit. You know how with a lot of CD's, you have your favorite tracks and you sometimes skip others to hear that one? I cannot bear to skip anything on this! I love all of them so much, I haven't taken the CD out of my car's player since the day it arrived in the mail. I also listen to it on my mp3 player while cooking or riding my bike. Basically, I cannot stand to not listen to this it is so amazing. It is unique also, which is refreshing in a world of copycats as far as music goes. I have zero complaints about "Bad Blood", and I wish it would catch on in the US...but then again, I rather enjoy being part of a smaller audience anyway.
on June 3, 2013
This album is full of beautiful harmony, soaring melodies and synthy pop goodness that isn't too over the top.

Opening with "Pompeii"-which brings to mind imagined images of the actual event with an enchanting opening chorus. It's worth noting that the band got to perform this song at The British Museum at the Pompeii exhibit!

"Overjoyed" is perhaps one of the best tracks on the record. Simple repetition of what can be described as haunting lyrics. "I hear you calling in the dead of night" invokes memories of scenarios as diverse as the lives of listeners.

Every song on the record is amazing but other personal stand-outs are "Icarus", "Oblivion", "Flaws" and "Laura Palmer" the latter named after the character on the popular TV show "Twin Peaks".

The band centers around Dan Smith and his vocal talents but the band provides great back-up vocals and simple instrumentals that make Bastille greater than what any member would be solo.

Buy this record, you'll be spinning it all summer! Worth the cost of importing for fellow Americans!
on September 11, 2013
This album is definitely one of my best music purchases ever. I cannot say that this is my favorite type of music, nor that the album contains one of my favorite songs of the year, but it is absolutely one of the best complete albums I have ever purchased. Every song is different, and every song is good. I am absolutely awestruck at Dan's chilling vocals and the fantastic rhythmic variation and harmonies that accompany them. This is pure talent (and creativity!).

As a side note, I'm completely baffled by the mediocre critical reception of this album. If that's holding you back, don't let it! This should be album of the year.
on May 9, 2014
It is the first album that I have liked every song on the album. The majority of the songs I would rate on average 8 on a scale of 1-10. I bought the vinyl and the for those of you that like vinyl this is high quality vinyl.
on October 10, 2016
I had to admit that I bought it solely for their hit, Pompeii. I was very pleasantly surprised at the ear friendly sound of the rest of the CD. My personal fave soon became the song Flaws! Not just pop, this CD offers well crafted songs with insights worded perfectly. The author of each song never fails to get his point across. Don't deny yourself this enjoyable collection!
on December 25, 2015
I've literally purchased every version of this album. From the digital download, to physical CD, to vinyl, to the All This Bad Blood extended release. Haven't regretted a single one. It's one of those albums that has so many iconic songs that you easily find yourself listening through the whole album and singing along without mashing the skip button.
on February 17, 2016
Great album, my son purchased this album and really likes Bastille and this genera of music. Amazon's download function is simple to use, and with a decent internet connectivity it doesn't take very long to download at all.
on January 6, 2016
Bought this for my boyfriend along with a new record player for Christmas - we listened to it that day & the quality is great! I love Bastille & to hear them play on vinyl made their music sound even more beautiful :)
on February 18, 2014
Bastille are an incredible new band from England. Their debut album "Bad Blood" is one of the most impressive first efforts I've heard. The group takes their name from the French national holiday Bastille Day, which is the same day that the lead singer Dan Smith was born on. Dan Smith sings in his natural British accent, which brings a unique flair to the band.

There are so many hits on this album that it's hard to decide which tracks I love best. I think the standouts are Pompeii, Things We Lost in the Fire, Bad Blood, Oblivion, and Laughter Lines. However, all of the tracks are catchy and deep, referencing moments in history such as the volcanic eruption in Pompeii in Italy as well as Icarus from Greek mythology and Daniel from the Bible. If you're not too sure about these allusions, try brushing up on your reading to better understand the songs.

Definitely give "Bad Blood" a try. I hope Bastille comes out with more amazing music in the near future!