Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on August 20, 2017
If this was the first book I had read of Jack Reacher I would never have read another. It was a stretch to begin with and so many names & places that it was tough to follow especially at the end. I found myself just thinking, "will this never end." To much came out of a cripple girl and a chained man that should have been killed immediately. If the villain was so smart he sure did a bunch of dumb things. I was glad when it was over. It was too much of a reality stretch.
on September 26, 2017
I just love Jack Reacher, but this book was especially compelling. I read this book in two days, I honestly couldn't put it down. Even though I correctly guessed the twist early on, I just had to see how Reacher would exact the retaliation the bad guys so richly deserved. It was worth the wait. Can't wait for the next Reacher story.
on September 12, 2016
Longer than what I'm used to, and slower pace; some areas are page-turners, others not so much. I like the way the bad guys get it in the end; kinda like the bad guys at the end of a Walker Texas Ranger episode... they do all this wrong/bad stuff for the first 3/4 of the episode and then Chuck Norris catches up to them and beats the snot and earwax out of them. If you could just read the last 1/4 of each Reacher book, it would satisfy just the same; if you're into snot and earwax beatdowns that is; which I am.
on August 3, 2014
'Bad Luck and Trouble' is a mediocre novel.

It is the 11th of the Jack Reacher series. For those who have not read any of this series yet, Reacher is a former military police major who has Rambo like combat skills. Of course, it would have been much more realistic to have those capabilities if the hero were a former Navy Seal, Green Beret, or Marine Recon fighter, but a military policeman? Get real. That is a completely different skill set.

In this book, it seems even odder that all of the sudden, we find out that Reacher is a mathematical savant. That ability is never mentioned once in the previous ten books, but in this one it is featured prominently. Another strange thing is that all of the sudden, Reacher is very tight with his former MP investigative unit. It seems like the author is making big changes in the character to fit some silly storyline.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue reading this series. I have read the first eleven in order and most of them are average, at best. This author is certainly no Brad Thor or Vince Flynn.

It is ok, but do not expect great with this.
on February 18, 2013
I typically don't read "detective books", and don't buy into the whole military training is the best thing that can happen to a person. However this guy, Lee Child, writes a very intense, very nicely paced book. The book starts fast, by like page 3 or so, then basically doesn't let up.

I also like how he follows the one main character, perhaps it's lacking finesse or perhaps overly simple, but I don't get that feeling at all. It's riveting. He switches to other characters for a few pages then it's back to Jack Reacher.

His choice of wording is what I think other people are trying to emulate in this genre but now that I've read this guy. Well he has talent.
Worth buying, and I'm going to read them all.
on February 28, 2017
I have read all of the books up to 61 one , and being a Ranger and Special Forces plus Military Intelligence in the Army I was undercover in the LA Sheriff's office so he intrigues me.
on November 21, 2014
I have started the process of reading the entire Jack Reacher series. Last year I read Killing Floor (reacher #1). I have just finished reading this one, Die Trying (reacher #2), and I can now state emphatically and happily that I will put Tripwire (reacher #3) into my “2015 To-Be-Read” queue. I may not get to Tripwire for another six months or so, but I will definitely look forward to reading it.

PLOT: I enjoyed the plot, a rogue militia intent on rekindling the American Revolution with a crazy man leading the way. At first I felt the way Jack Reacher became involved in the adventure was a little bit contrived, but I eventually moved past those thoughts as the story unfolded. I am sure a nitpicker would challenge the verisimilitude of the plot, but as with most political and/or military thrillers, a reader must be willing to suspend disbelief and except the story world as the author presents it. If you are willing and/or capable of suspending your disbelief, then I think you will enjoy the plot and the nuances the author brings to it.

PROTAGONIST: Jack Reacher is an enjoyable lead character. He borders on superhero capabilities, but the author never quite crosses into that totally unbelievable territory. Reacher is very capable — seemingly more capable than 99.99 percent of the population — but still given a modicum of human frailty… just enough to keep him from being an over the top super hero.

THE VILLAIN: I thought Beau Borden was an excellent villain. Smart, ruthless, and crazy. Just the right mix of personality traits that creates an excellent adversary.

SUPPORTING CAST: Some reviewers felt that there were too many other characters in the story, but I didn’t feel that way. The femme fatale, Holly Johnson, never quite materialized in my mind’s eye. For whatever reasons, I never felt she had much depth. Since I intuitively knew Jack Reacher would not be involved with her past the end of this story, I guess I just considered her a throw-away character from page one and never paid close attention to the nuances of her personality. Dissimilar to James Bond movies, where you also know the women are only temporary, in this book you don’t have the ability to ogle and appreciate the physical attraction of the femme fatale, or at least the author didn’t write the character in that manner. Holly Johnson would be a distant also-ran if compared to Honey Rider, Pussy Galore, Domino, Plenty O’Toole, Tiffany Case, or just about any other Bond woman.

THE WRITING: The writing is very good, easy to read, easy to follow. My only complaint would be too much detailed description. When it comes to describing characters, the author gives the reader a few traits and then lets the reader’s imagination take it from there… Which is what I tend to enjoy. However, when the author’s starts describing rooms or geography or something technical, he goes into long and laborious descriptions that stretch into multiple long paragraphs. I know that some readers would probably enjoy this type of in-depth description, but I found many of them to be tedious and I learned to skim past them.

SUMMARY: I enjoyed this story. I enjoyed Jack Reacher as the protagonist. I enjoyed Beau Borden as the villain. I found most of the supporting cast to be believable. And I enjoyed the plot and its resolution. As I said upfront, I will definitely be adding the third installment in the Jack Reacher series to my reading queue.
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 27, 2017
Eating every reacher book I have read has been absolutely a thrill . I can always guarantee myself an excellent novel by Reading any of the reacher series . Lee Child is an excellent writer and keeps his readers on edge all the time . What more could you ask for ?
on May 29, 2015
I've read several Lee Child books and really have grown to like Jack Reacher. This book does not deliver the goods. Plot very predicatble; characters sterotyped to the point of boredom. If Child continues with boring plot peripities, one-dimensional characters, and not to mention very poor editing, his books will stop selling. For, as much as a customer enjoys a continuing character -- mostly to see interiority changes and development, a reader does not like the same thing warmed over again and again. If Child uses a staff to actually write these books-- it shows! Unoriginal. Boring. Get a good editor -- grammar errors alone drove me crazy-- not to mention repeteivie (word for word) segments. Do not buy this book; not worth the money or time spent reading.
on September 9, 2017
This book was well-written and kept my attention. Reacher and his old team kicked butt. Even though half of the original team was murdered , t the remaining four made sure to avenge them. I like it when money is taken from the bad guys and given to the survivors.