Bubble Witch Saga 3 STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Libros en Español Amazon Music Unlimited outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(2 star, Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
on June 26, 2006
More than halfway through this detective novel (p173), the protagonist is asked, "Are you really convinced this is even worth pursuing?" I was asking myself the same question, because although this book can be read in a day or a weekend, that's because there's nothing in it. This is the literary equivalent of white bread.

I know you love 'Lost'; that's why you're reading this page. I love 'Lost', too. But, trust me when I say this book is not worth your time, and certainly not worth the price. There are no real revelations about the show. There are very few references to anything that has to do with 'Lost.'

So what's inside? A brief story about a detective who enjoys licentious glances from women. Detailed descriptions of whisky that tastes like "toasted banana" and wine redolent of almonds and cherries. Characters who usually answer a question by not answering: ("He let that comment slide." "He allowed that to pass.")

Unless these constant reappearances of women and booze are some kind of bookmark for a code hidden in this otherwise useless piece of metafiction, this book should not have been published. Your money would be better spent on the 'Lost' DVD series or some of the classic works of literature referenced in 'Bad Twin'.

The Hanso Foundation hates this book? Well, so do I. Laura Palmer's Diary, *it ain't*.
on June 1, 2006
Having been a long-time fan of the hard boiled detective novel, especially those that inspired the great film noirs such as the work of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, I feel like I can say with some surety that whoever Gary Troup actually is, he is not anywhere close to the greats. The author's writing vacillates between a poor attempt at emulating his predecessors and overly poetic language that in context seems out of place. He can't have his cake and eat it too. What's worse is that this writer suffers from the traditional amatuer mistake - he wants to tell us what his book means, so he inserts this professor character who is happy to provide a literary context that explains exactly what it is the writer is trying to do with his story. I cannot stand this. It's a petty attempt to control the way that readers interpret the novel. As my creative writing professor taught me, instead of saying what they're doing, the best authors just do it. Gary Troup does not.

I bought the book because of Lost, of which I am a huge fan, and I have to say that whoever this writer is, he got really lucky with this break because he's acheieved a kind of instant celebrity status that'll probably last him even after his actual identity is revealed. Had this been his debut novel absent the product placement, I doubt that it would have sold much at all. For the Lost fans, honestly, the book is not worth the read - it gives very minimal additional information, and you could probably find a one-page synopsis of everything you learn in Bad Twin about Lost on an internet page (mostly there are small tidbits here and there regarding the Hanso Foundation). There has been speculation that Gary Troup is actually Stephen King - I highly doubt it. Not only is King a much better writer than this guy, but the writing style is totally different. With King, there's an abundance of swearing which is very noticeable. Not true here.

Bottom line - this is a bad novel. It gets two stars for at least carrying a plot line and not having obvious typos or grammatical mistakes. It was easy reading, but not really all that pleasurable. I finished it because I had to know if there was anything Lost-related hidden in the pages (which there really wasn't), but absent that, I feel like I could've put the book down at any time, even with only 10 pages to go (Sawyer!), and would've been perfectly content never knowing how it ended.
on June 2, 2006
I'm sure like everyone else I picked this up because I'm a big fan of Lost. And what started out as a solid read and a few teases - a "Hanso Foundation" here and a "John Locke" there just digressed into an average (at best) book.

The writing isn't very strong (the 'love making' and mention of more 'love making' three-quarters of the way through will make you blush - and not because of the content). And conveniently the main character's best friend is an retired English Lit. teacher that always has a book/reference to mention (with the subtly of an anvil hitting you over the head).

You know you're in trouble when everything is over explained between the characters in the last 2-3 pages.

Loved the season finale of Lost... can't say the same about this book.
on July 19, 2007
Although competently written, this book is not a very good stand-alone, nor does it offer any clue or value for the fans of LOST.
on July 3, 2006
The biggest connection to Lost in this book is the fictional author supposedly disappearing on flight 815, and Sawyer reading the manuscript on the show. Hanso is mentioned a few times, briefly. While I wasn't expecting much, this was a bit of a let-down.
on January 3, 2007
Storyline wasn't very interesting or mysterious. Has nothing to do with the show "Lost" so don't expect to solve anything.