Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A Bag for All Reasons: 12 all-new bags and purses to sew for every occasion Spiral-bound – May 29, 2012
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
"Lisa's website u-handbag.com is the ultimate knowledge base for making well designed bags, her instructions are thorough and clear. A Bag For All Reasons is a useful extension of her website - it is as an excellent resource for all your purse making needs." - Kathreen Ricketson: whipup.net founder & author of Little Bits Quilting Bee
"Lisa has created another, spirited collection of gorgeous bags that are fashionable with an added higher purpose of being incredibly useful! This information rich book will elevate your sewing know how with versatile techniques and inspiring suggestions for making these bags your own." - Amy Butler, author of "Style Stitches"
"Thank you Lisa for bringing such lovely style to our bag making world!" --Amy Butler
"A must have for beginners and experienced bag-makers alike." --Anna Stassen, UK Handmade
"Lisa is the first lady of handmade bag patterns." --Perri Lewis, craft journalist and author
"It is an excellent resource for all your bag and purse making needs." --Kathreen Ricketson: whipup.net and author
"This information-rich book will elevate your sewing know-how with versatile techniques and inspiring suggestions for making these bags your own." --Amy Butler, fabric designer
"Lisa does a great job of explaining each step." --Twin Fibers
"[A Bag for All Reasons] is beautifully made...love that it's spiral bound allowing the book to lay flat!" --Jessica at Funky Finds blog
"Lisa's instructions are well written and in a way that feel like she's talking to me one-on-one giving me personal instruction." --Monica at Happy Zombie
"The range of bags is perfect for everyday or special occasions" --Sew Mama Sew
"I really like this book...pull-out patterns: awesome...lays flat when you're working: awesome...all the projects in the book (there are 12) are all really cute and functional and not too intimidating." --Kira at Oops, I Craft My Pants
"[Lisa is] chock-full of bag sewing tips." --Judy at This Creative Journey
"The Bag Making Bible and A Bag for All Reasons...are full of information on everything you'll ever need to know to make any kind of bag." --Heather from Olive & Ollie
"I am the biggest fangirl of Lisa and credit her for my bag-making fearlessness." --Jodi of Sew Fearless
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
I have been wondering lately how to make a bag with a concealed top-edge zip--and BAM, right there on page 24 is exactly what I need to get going!
There are 12 projects in this book and all of them are winners--bags that I want to own, will try to make, and know others would like me to make for them! The first project could be the Train-Style Vanity Case, which both my daughter and I would like to have.
I love the laundry bag that has a divider for hot and cold wash clothing. Also, the wallet is great--has space for coins and is designed so the cards won't slip out of the wallet.
The descriptions and generous use of photographs make this bag a solid reference tool and also a spring board for many projects!
If you like bags and you like to sew--whether you are a beginning sewist or have been sewing for years,this book will delight you!
- The layout, thank you for making it spiral bound this time! The presentation of information is concepts first, patterns second. I am neutral on this, further comments under Cons.
- The patterns are now printed in such a way that you can cut out the pieces, not overlapped like the first book. The paper is also pleasantly not flimsy so it appears the pieces can endure some level of wear.
- Some better clarification of techniques/concepts. When I did the messenger bag in her first book I gave myself brain damage trying to figure out how the adjustable strap worked. This is an instance in which step by step illustration would've really helped. Even though I figured it out it was the opposite way of which she instructed. This time around a few of the techniques have much better pics to help clearly define the text direction.
- Two of the patterns are dreamy and are on the top of my list to make (the new version of messenger bag and what's called a diaper bag but that can be just a regular bag). These styles are what she's known and greatly appreciated for worldwide. She creates high quality looking items with DYI moxy.
- I understand these kind of books are forced to limit the amount/length of information that appears for printing purposes. The concepts pages are taken from her first book. This is both smart and obnoxious. It's smart because resources can be allocated to other things like new patterns and a few new photographs.Read more ›
For those of you who said it was just a rehash of the first book, you need to specify that you are refering specifially to the techniques. Of course they are the same, because Lisa was so thorough in her first book, she didn't leave any awesome techniques out, so it would make sense that she would put them in her new book too. But anybody flipping through "A Bag For All Reasons" can clealy see that each bag is a brand spanking new awesome design that just cries out to be created.
This book is a true gem and is definitely one any bag-making addict needs! Thank you, Lisa for continuing to show us how to create yummy looking and very functional bags!
I mean, c'mon, a Shopping Tote and a laundry bag? You can buy a tote bag in practically every store you walk into for cheaper than you can make one and do you really need a pattern to make a laundry bag? Then there is the toddler back pack, a convertible back pack, a diaper bag, a make-up bag, and a double bike bag. These are just not anything I would be interested in spending my time making. I want ideas for a functional, attractive purse to carry every day. And this book just didn't have any, in my opinion.
So I returned this book and ordered the Bag Making Bible. It had even more information and better bag designs.
My copy has pages 47-48 between 64 and 65 - whoops. Printing error I guess, hopefully someone will catch and correct it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great book! Thank you, Lisa! I've learned so much from your Craftsy class and even more so from this book and also from the Bag Making Bible. Love the great patterns. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
I tried to use the project tutorial from her web site to see if I could follow her instructions, what a joke! Read morePublished 4 months ago by Solitaire Fan
Love Lisa Lam method of teaching. The book is well set up. Ordered this book after checking out the "the bag making bible" from libraryPublished 4 months ago by Amazon Customer