Lyft Vehicles Review Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on May 17, 2012
I love Lisa Lam's books as much for all the awesome techniques she includes as the actual projects - which are great. Inserting zippers and other closures as well as loads of basic and advanced bag making techniques make this book a resource you'll come back to and use for many bag patterns in addition to the ones included.

My copy has pages 47-48 between 64 and 65 - whoops. Printing error I guess, hopefully someone will catch and correct it.
on March 2, 2016
Love Lisa Lam method of teaching. The book is well set up. Ordered this book after checking out the "the bag making bible" from library
on June 11, 2012
If it's any qualification, I have Lisa's first book and completed all but two of the projects listed. So it was with great interest I saw a followup title release. I wish Amazon let us do half star reviews, this would be 3.5 stars. These are my condensed thoughts:

Pros:
- The layout, thank you for making it spiral bound this time! The presentation of information is concepts first, patterns second. I am neutral on this, further comments under Cons.

- The patterns are now printed in such a way that you can cut out the pieces, not overlapped like the first book. The paper is also pleasantly not flimsy so it appears the pieces can endure some level of wear.

- Some better clarification of techniques/concepts. When I did the messenger bag in her first book I gave myself brain damage trying to figure out how the adjustable strap worked. This is an instance in which step by step illustration would've really helped. Even though I figured it out it was the opposite way of which she instructed. This time around a few of the techniques have much better pics to help clearly define the text direction.

- Two of the patterns are dreamy and are on the top of my list to make (the new version of messenger bag and what's called a diaper bag but that can be just a regular bag). These styles are what she's known and greatly appreciated for worldwide. She creates high quality looking items with DYI moxy.

Cons:
- I understand these kind of books are forced to limit the amount/length of information that appears for printing purposes. The concepts pages are taken from her first book. This is both smart and obnoxious. It's smart because resources can be allocated to other things like new patterns and a few new photographs. It's obnoxious because this time they really pared down on the intro information. What I liked about the first book is it seemed she took more time discussing the nuts and bolts: fabrics, hardware, how to use the patterns, how to adapt the patterns, etc. I do not like the assumption that the sewer who plans on using this book can afford all the resources. If using oilcloth no paragraph on what to do if you don't have a teflon foot (using wax or tissue paper), she just says get a non-stick foot.

- I am interested in maybe half of the patterns listed. A couple just seem unusually....filler like. The cover of the book is for a bike tote, like a saddle bag really. How practical is this, even for me, a city girl who has a bike? There is a clutch kisslock frame pattern. You can essentially get this, and much better instruction, for free on her blog.

- The patterns that I would make are definitely not for the beginner. She's upped the complexity for some of them, which is nice but not if this is your first foray into bag-making.
0Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 23, 2017
Great patterns
on July 29, 2017
GREAT GIFT IDEAS - I CAN MAKE THE BAGS PERSONAL FOR EACH OF MY WOMEN-FOLK
on January 24, 2016
One of my favorite writers and bloggers on bag-making. Her books are must-haves. I love her style, her method of explaining complex procedures. She really knows how to explain everything.
on September 6, 2015
Lisa Lam is recognized in the purse making community as an expert. Her publication is well presented and I would buy it again.
on July 1, 2014
I just got the book today, and I'm impressed! I want to make several of the projects shown. Instructions seem clear, and the full size patterns are a plus! I can highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to sew their own bags.
on January 3, 2016
I read this from cover to cover. I learned a lot of terms that have helped me with other bag patterns. I've not made a bag from this book yet however, but want to try nearly everyone of them.
on June 28, 2016
Great book! Thank you, Lisa! I've learned so much from your Craftsy class and even more so from this book and also from the Bag Making Bible. Love the great patterns.l'm working on one at the moment.God bless you all the more!