Customer Reviews: Bags, The Modern Classics: Clutches, Hobos, Satchels & More
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 9, 2012
I love the majority of the bags in this book, and was excited to give them a go myself. However, when I got to the pages with the patterns (which are attached in the back) my confusion began. They managed to cram the patterns for all the bags in this book onto two pages, front and back. The pattern pieces overlapped and when it came time to trace it took way more thought than I wanted to give to figure out which lines belonged to which pattern etc. So, if you're willing to invest some time into figuring out the method to their madness, go ahead and buy it. But if patterns confuse you, this probably isn't the book to start with.
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
Unlike the others reviewers thus far, I was not familiar with this author or her website before examining this book. I think those who know her projects from her website would appreciate it a lot; for me, I was slightly disappointed. The title is appropriate: the bags are classic styles (hobo, tote, clutch, etc.), and the designs are modernized by the choice of fabric, which is mainly colorful prints. They are very well-chosen and a good source of inspiration. There are many photographs in the book, including several examples of each of the 19 bags in different fabrics. There are also many photos of the step-by-step directions (which is relatively rare in books of this sort). The author writes clearly, so even sewers who have relatively little experience should be able to follow the instructions. My own feeling is that for more advanced sewers, this book is less worthwhile than, for example, the book called _Sew the Perfect Bag_. It has more bags and a much greater variety of styles; it would be a lasting and versatile resource. This is not to be overly critical of the book under review, but if you're not buying every book available, then it might be worth considering one with more variety.
55 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2012
I think this book has some really cute bags to sew, but a working knowledge of sewing and pattern reading is essential. One of the reviewers said how confusing the patterns are since they all are traced off on two sided paper, and that is the truth. You have to put the pattern on the window and trace if off on another piece of paper, and it does get confusing. You can also copy the pattern and tape the parts together to make a whole pattern, especially the smaller ones. I'm only giving it 3 stars because I think it would have been much better if the publisher had traced out the patterns only on one side, using another piece of pattern paper or two. I have been sewing for a long time, so I can navigate the patterns without much trouble. I got the book form the library and then decided I'd like to own it.Great ideas, great fabrics, a fun book if you know how to sew. If not.....
on November 21, 2011
I've been a fan of Sue's patterns from her personal website [...]for a couple of years now, and I pre-ordered her book as soon as I could. It does not disappoint! I was concerned that the book would be filled with patterns that I've already bought or considered buying, but it was not the case. Sue's patterns are easy to follow with clear, concise directions. The patterns are stylish and modern, and will work with so many different fabrics. If you enjoy sewing bags, or are interested in learning about the process, this is a great book to pick up.
on March 22, 2012
I purchased this book for my daughter's 15th birthday. However, my older (17 and an experienced sewist) daughter is the one who started sewing from it. We were disappointed at the pattern piece configuration, as not all the pieces were on the same page. The pattern was read through several times before fabric was cut. Little things in the pictures were annoying like the way the pins were placed with points facing out of the fabric, and telling the sewer to fan outward the tabs on the magnetic closures when the pictures show them pressed inward... My daughters bags have all turned out wonderfully. The patterns are nice in this book and we will continue to make bags from it. A beginner would probably not do so well with this book.
on December 5, 2011

I've been a fan of Sue's designs ever since I found her on Etsy and clicked on her website [...]
This book is very well written, all instructions are clear and easy to follow, just as all the patterns sold on her website!
The moment I found out about the book, I knew I wanted to have it, and Oh Boy! what a treat!
This book far exceeded my expectations, all pages are filled with beautifully done photographs with easy to follow instructions. It doesn't matter if you are a novice (like me!) or an experienced crafter, if you enjoy sewing beautiful purses, this book is a MUST-HAVE addition your collection.

I will be purchasing another copy for my daughter who also shares my passion for sewing, I know she is going to love this book!... and so will you!!

Way to go Sue!... and thank you for sharing your talent with the world!!!

Sandy N. from Ohio
on August 2, 2016
Such a fun book for anyone that enjoys making bags! My daughter was SEW excited to get this as s gift. She has made several of the patterns into adorable purses that she had used as gifts. She has commented more than once that the directions are written very well, even for an advanced beginner!
on September 23, 2012
This book is full of great designs but the instructions are confusing. I have been sewing and pattern making professionally for several years and I found her instructions poorly written. The provided patterns are a jumbled mess. If you are looking for inspiration on some new bags to make and can figure out how to create them yourself then this book has some nice ideas but the price is too high for what you will get out of it.
on April 7, 2013
I actually found this book at Joann's instead of the other dozen or two books I have purchased through Amazon. They are great books but I really, really love this one!!! I am a beginner and have no clue what I am doing. The purses are very modern and trendy. They range from shoulder bags to clutches and wristlets and market bags. The variety was different, not the same style or two with different fabric. What I truly loved about this book were the pictures!!! I started a purse from another book and was stumped as to what I was supposed to do next or if I even had anything right up to where I was. This book doesn't have picture drawings but photographs at the major parts that I needed. Comparing similar bags and their photographs told me I wasn't too far off....seeing is is the first purse I ever attempted to make and my only other experience with sewing was a beginner's class and I made an envelope pillow!!! Wish I had found this book first out of all my sewing books!!! I hope this author has more books!!!!
on February 10, 2014
The reason why I only gave this book 3 stars is because there are MULTIPLE patterns printed on each page (and both sides of the paper) so you can't just cut them out. You have to copy them and then tape the pieces together unless of course, you are using tissue paper to do the copying. I would prefer the author print additional pattern pieces so it doesn't make the process so difficult.