Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 56 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on November 18, 2012
I love to cook savory more than bake sweets, but I bought BAKE! as my maiden voyage into Nick Malgierri's world. I started with a savory focaccia recipe, and it is great, and easy. I have 2 other focaccia recipes I used to use, but I always like to test new ones. This will be in my KEEPER file as the easiest of the three. So crunchy outside, tender inside, using simple and available ingredients. I made it all the same day and it was ready for our dinner. I will use this recipe for panini next time bc slicing through the middle gives a nice skinny but artisan bread perfect for such a purpose. The recipe did not use grams in measurement as I am partial to, so I assumed that was because this was not a dedicated bread book. However none of the recipes use gram measurements at all, sweets and baked cakes, etc,.. That's just me, I like to weigh my flour. If you are into that frame of mind, too, I thought I'd mention it. When I made the focaccia, I made a notation in the book what the gram weight of the flour was so next time I can make it w/the same reliable result. On the upside, there are many beautiful photos of finished products as well as many procedural photos of techniques (as the cover of BAKE! mentions) showing, when needed, how to form it correctly. I like Nick's user-friendly attention to his listing the type and size pan to use for the recipe, shown at the end of the ingredient list. There are times I want to take the 'quick route' and use a loaf pan rather than handling and forming the dough. I can see at a moment's glance if that recipe is a contender for me on any given day based upon time constrictions or my mood.

This book contains a nice assortment of both breads (savory) and sweets, and for someone not knowing where their passion rests between those two things, this book might just help you figure it out. I just bought Nick's new book, BREAD. I've got pages tagged to try out those recipes and will look forward to using that this season--(in that bread book by the way, he DOES use gram measurements. :)
on June 7, 2017
This is my to go book for everything pastry and bread making. Malgieri really made me fall in love with his recipes and I bought a second copy of this book for my sister - she loves it too! Since I first bought the book I have made his bread loafs regularly and never bought another at the bakery. His pies are easy to replicate - and I really started from 0. I moved to the US a few years back and I wasn't familiar with the American measurements and/or ingredients. Even the flour texture is so different. Malgieri's book made me accustomed with transitioning my European baking style to the American kitchen. Great buy!
on May 4, 2017
I first borrowed this book from the library and it was love at first read. I had to have a copy for my own personal library. The recipes aren't Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines grade. These are truly professional recipes. It's like going to the bakery, except you made it. A must read, make and eat.
on November 16, 2010
This is the essential book for all of your baking needs. There is something you want to make on every page!

I'm glad there are photos of some of the crucial steps because some of the ingredient measurements are off. For example, the brioche recipe indicates less flour than you actually need. Seeing the photo of a ball of dough (vs. the sticky soup in the bowl using ACTUAL ingredient measurements) made me realize that some of the proportions were a little off. That same recipe doesn't say how long to bake the loaf of brioche, so I kept monitoring it until I thought it might be done.

As a side note, the photo of the scones should have been more closely scrutinized because there is a hair on the nut scone.

If it weren't for these few errors/omissions, I would give this book 5 stars for technique and interesting recipes.
on January 1, 2015
I purchased this for a niece who is interested in baking. It is just what I was hoping for. It has a good range of recipes and provides specific instructions without being intimidating. I think it will be a good "intro" baking book. It has lots of photos which is helpful when doing something for the first time. The instructions seem clear. Since I haven't used it myself, I can't comment on the quality or accuracy of the recipes, but they looked so good I am thinking of getting a copy for myself.
on November 25, 2012
I've been looking for an easy, hands-on, foolproof, failproof crust recipe and Nick Malgieri fills this book with them. Not only that, but the recipes are a delight, the directions are easy to follow, and I love the photos and the care he takes in delineating how to roll out dough, how to perfectly blind bake a crust, how to seal the edges of a tart. I am so, so glad I bought this and I look forward to delving into more of Malgieri's recipes.
on July 31, 2013
This is a very well-organized book that covers the useful gamut of baking. The author also has a section where he discusses the properties of various ingredients and which ones mush NOT be substituted. Very clear & well done.
I have a slight criticism in that his 'One-Step' Bread Recipe is not really one step and also maybe written too carefully and misses out on the fundamental step of properly kneading the bread. Needs a bit of modification.
Very good pictures/illustrations!
on January 11, 2013
I gave this as a birthday present to a friend of mine, she was so excited when she opened the box and saw it. She had recently gone to a cooking conference with this author and she was hoping her sister would get her the book for Christmas (trust me she dropped enough hints) so when I gave it to her in November for her b'day, she was thrilled with it. I checked out some of the recipes in it and they seemed easy to do and the pictures of the food in the book make you want to eat the photos.
on February 18, 2013
I've just started reading it, but I think I'm going to like this book...it's easy to read, gives you some head start advice on component selection and appears to take the approach of providing a baking background first, then expansion to the intricacies of baking fancier stuff...I like that common sense approach. Supposedly the author teachs baking, so that would make sense...I sincerely hope that in the end I feel as though I've taken a course in basic baking with some extras...
on December 28, 2015
A nice book, well illustrated with clear instructions. An excellent book for a beginning baker. If you are looking for more challenging recipes or looking for a gift for an experienced baker, this might not be the best choice.