Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(4 star). See all 170 reviews
on March 15, 2005
Everything I've tried from the book has been with awesome results. The tips and techniques are great.

I did subtract one star as there are MANY recipies in this book that also appear in the "The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with 1,000 Recipes". I'm sure I would have noticed this if I'd have looked at the books in a store, but undetectable on this medium.
on January 1, 2010
Every recipe we have tried from this book has become our new standard. The vanilla pastry cream impressed the former owner of a bakery, and she wanted the recipe. The Key Lime Pie is perfect, just tart enough. The German Chocolate Cake surpasses the original recipe in taste. The format, though, is a little awkward to deal with. I appreciate all the explanatory text, but it often makes the recipes continue onto the next page, so you have to flip back and forth from ingredients to method. The Maple Pecan Pie variation on Pecan Pie is to die for (try it as Maple Walnut pie, too), but I finally wrote the substitutions in the margin of the original recipe to avoid all the flipping. I really do like the content of this book, though, and am giving one to a beginning baker.
on March 5, 2006
This is a good baking book for beginners. Some with more experience will probably find it very simple, but it does cover a lot of basics and has great recipes with great instuctions and the reasons why the recipe works great compared to others.

Update:
I have been baking for a while now and I really do not use this book anymore. Even though they are supposed to be the best recipes they could find and create, they are not. Most are overcomplicated and call for unnecessary ingredients. I find much easier recipes online now and they turn out better. Still it's not a bad book if your just starting to bake.
on May 10, 2015
As described.
on July 12, 2014
I gave this book as a gift and I loved it because now I could just point to what I wanted my sister to bake. She loves to bake and bakes well. I, on the other hand need remedial help.
on October 6, 2013
this was a gift for my son who is quite an accomplished baker and cook (self-taught). He is reading this book cover to cover and so far says that it is accurate and really gives the "why" something works the way it does in baking. This is to add to his library.
on September 7, 2008
the person i bought this for loved it
i hand delivered it to Shanghai China for their use there
on November 5, 2013
I am a huge fan of Cooks Illustrated so I love this book! However it is so thick and heavy that I would be too lazy to get it out at times.
on July 21, 2004
The book is excellent from the point of view of explaining ingredients. However, I think they really blew it in the sense that they do not provide any information whatsoever with respect to various oven heat choices...convection, surround, top, bottom etc. The result is that unless you are an experienced cook, you still are faced with a lot of experimentation to get a reliable satisfactory baking outcome. Just think how helpful it would have been to have an matrix of oven setting choices and cooking duration accompanying each recipe.
on November 20, 2011
Purchased this because baking is becoming a new hobby, and I've been collecting and reading cookbooks. Messed up the chocolate layer cake by tying to use artificial sweetener. The cookies are awesome. Planning on trying the bread in the near future.