Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 21, 2018
I have immense respect for Julia Child, which is why I purchased this book. And, while it is reminiscent of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, it is not in its league. There are not enough color photos and the b/w are almost blurry and too small. It has a lot of bread recipes, but not a lot I want to try, and I wish she had covered more types of desserts. While it is worth the money, it was a disappointment. It’s a shame she didn’t follow up Mastering with a comparable dessert book.
on February 26, 2004
I am skeptical of most of the cookbooks that are based on PBS TV cooking shows, plus some of Julia Child's early cookbooks had many recipes that were involved and difficult for the casual home cook to do. This book, however, is a reliable resource that you can depend on for baked goods in your home oven.
The most important feature of this book is that all of the recipes are written by professional bakers (of whom there are some 2 dozen or so, some you will recognize, all are seasoned bakers from various commercial settings), and the recipes are scaled-down versions of reliable production recipes. The instructions are exemplary in their detail and completeness. All things considered, this is also an excellent learning tool for the beginner. When I need to learn something new (such as rugelach or naan), this is one of the first books I reach for.
The first chapter has an extensive section on basic techniques and words that you do not usually get in even a good baking book. It has some basic recipes that must be mastered before you go on to the recipes in the rest of the book, like genoise or meringue. It also has chapters on bread (Daily; Artisanal, Flatbreads), breakfast goods and quick breads, cakes (Everyday, Showstoppers, Wedding Cake, Cookies), and pastries (Pies, Grand, Savory). It has a good selection of all the major categories you are likely to want to do at home.
17 people found this helpful
on October 27, 2015
This is my first Julia book and I love it. I watched her when I was a little girl and was just amazed at what she cooked and everything about this queen. The book itself is in really good condition, sadly the jacket is in terrible condition. I really don't care the price was great and it is my first Julia book. I love it.
2 people found this helpful
on September 2, 2017
I purchased this book for my sister a while back and she uses it all the time. Thusly, even though I am professional chef, I decided that I could
still benefit from Julia and Dorie. Glad that I purchased a copy for myself.
One person found this helpful
on December 18, 2013
I bought it thinking it was a Julia Child book and was pleasantly surprised to discover that an expert professional chef presented each baked product. The explanation of techniques was especially valuable. This isn't just a cookbook: it's a baking course.

Be warned: slight deviations from instructions guarantee failure, but at least you know - finally - what you're doing wrong.
5 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2017
I think this is the sixth time I've purchased this book. I give them as gifts too serious home bakers. Easy to read, great recipes that work.
2 people found this helpful
on February 27, 2018
One of the best baking books available. I've learned so much from this book about baking quality breads and pastries. Instructions are very explicit and leave nothing to be misinterpreted. Surprised this doesn't have more reviews.
on March 19, 2018
I watched the series on PBS Baking with Julia, 3 seasons, that this book is based on. The series shows all the techniques listed in the book. Otherwise, I would have problems following some of this.
on October 28, 2015
This book is wonderful. I bought it used, and it was far superior to what I was expecting. It is great and I added a platic cover over the dust jacket. Nice baking book! I made the buscuits and they turned out better than any I'd made before. Julia Child definatley helped my baking skill.
One person found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on February 7, 2011
I am a novice baker. Once in a while I get the urge to do something more advanced. This book seems to give me all I need to get great results. So far I have tried the Croissant and Popover recipes. Magnificent!

Well worth it. Originally I bought it thinking that it was a baking with Julia Child book . It is not. Instead it is a collection of people that baked with her on her show. Works for me as if you ever watched her shows, the sessions tended to be very instructional in nature. Perfect for the novice.

Enjoy, you won't regret getting it.
9 people found this helpful