BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes: Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 20, 2016
This book is amazing! We had been ttc for two years when it was recommended to me. At the time I was feeling very depressed and blaming myself for it. Within the first few chapters I was crying, because I finally felt like someone really understood what I was going through. (And I'm not a crier! :P) The rest of the book gave me hope for the future! Her stories contained serious matter, but plenty of subtle witt and comedy. It did not go into great detail about the impacts of high and low bloodsugars, which was a nice change. It allowed me to see the whole picture and not stress out about every little thing now that I am pregnant! I recommend this book to all of my diabetic friends when they mention how depressed they are looking up stuff online, which I have found to mostly contain horror stories. I bought additional copies for family members to give to them when I announced my news. There's a great section that gives advice o how to handle worried family members and negative comments; especially the Steel Magnolia conversations! This book has been super encouraging and supportive! Now that my family has read it as well, they can be happy with me, rather than worried. :)

This book does not give a lot of information about studies, which I loved. There are plenty of books out there that can give you that and make you sick with worry. This book was light hearted and I felt like I was listening to a friend. It focused on individual pregnancy stories from other diabetics, their complications and the way that they dealt with them.
on August 10, 2017
This book is so helpful for those with diabetes and pregnant. It truly puts me at ease reading other women's experiences during their pregnancies. I went to my Encro after reading few chapters and she was surprised of how well informed I was. This book is a must if you have type 1 or 2 diabetes and pregnant. It helps you prepare and ease your mind about all what could go wrong. LOVE IT
on June 24, 2013
As a long time Diabetic (Type 1). And also as a diabetic who is in the process of trying to have a child, I felt this book was very informative, both on a personal level and medically. I enjoyed the testimonials from other women. I also liked the practicality of the book. It was a lot of information to absorb and at times reading it, it was overwhelming, especially reading women who kept their A1c's at 4.5 and who stated that they would run on the treadmill at 3am if they had a high sugar. I understand these are just others accounts, but at times it was a bit overwhelming.
All in all, an excellent guide with a lot of useful information.
on August 2, 2016
I think I went overboard when I was pregnant and bought too many gestational diabetes books. But, I actually really liked reading this book. It was a very helpful book that helped me to understand everything that I was going through, more so than what my doctors were saying and instructing me to read. It was more of an authority I could refer to when much of what is on the internet is more of a blog or forum of opinions. I'm keeping this book on the active bookshelf so that I can look at it again when we decide to have another baby.
on February 6, 2016
This books is an excellent resource for Type 1 Diabetics. It's encouraging and very informative for diabetics who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant.
on November 30, 2013
Fantastic book. My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning to expand our family. This book has been a tremendous help in shedding some light on some things to expect and what I can be doing to better my health before I am even pregnant all the way through to after delivery. I look forward to reading through this book quite a few more times and refreshers and some general support when I feel like I might not be doing my best. It's hard to find decent books about Type 1 diabetics that aren't strictly full of medical terminology and "don't do this, this, this or that". This book has a great blend of fact and personal experiences.
on March 22, 2017
Comprehensive informative book on Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy. Thank you Cheryl!!
on September 19, 2016
I felt that this book spoke more about women with Type 1 diabetes and not so much about Type 2 diabetes. The general information is good to know.
on March 15, 2013
I really wish I had read this book prior to conceiving my first child years ago. It might have saved me so much heart ache. If you are a pregnant, type 1 diabetic, especially first time moms, I BEG you to read this book. It's full of invaluable information that my medical team never told me.
on October 12, 2011
This book definitely focuses on Type 1 diabetics, so I would recommend it for them. If you are Type 2, it may still be helpful, but I would look elsewhere first.
Some information is repeated twice, such as the end of the Approaching the Big Day chapter and the beginning of The Big Day chapter.

Also, the author likes to insert lots of her own personal, although irrelevant, experience into the book. For example, she spent 2-3 paragraphs describing how her husband got bored in the hospital and started trying to help someone working at the hospital fix something. Other people's experiences, of course, get 1 to 2 sentences.

Having said that, she is still very objective about different people's opinions and doesn't try to persuade you to make the same decisions that she made.

Overall, it's a good book and worth the money, but don't expect too much (and definitely read "the big day" chapter well before the big day!).

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck keeping those sugars in line!