Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 532 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 721 reviews
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been cursed with thighs that resemble two tree stumps. In my quest to find relief from having to face another shorts wearing season dealing with dreaded chub rub, I decided to check out inner thigh workouts on YouTube, instead of fixating on cosmetic surgery sites that push liposuction as the answer to my lifelong problem.I came across excerpts from Ballet Beautiful: Total Body Workout. At first I didn’t believe the simple movements (ballet inspired, not actual ballet) would change anything, but since I’ve never seen a ballet dancer with cellulite, or thighs that rub together, I figured I had nothing to lose. Surprisingly, after completing three days of the inner thigh workout I started seeing changes which prompted me to try several other excerpts that focused on the thighs, hips, and derriere.

I’ve been exercising consistently for almost thirty years, having tried just about every workout known to woman, and I can honestly say I’ve never experienced the results that came from those first few days. I ended up buying the Total Body Workout in addition to Body Blast, and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I do another workout which concentrates on abs and arms, so I always choose to skip the Swan arms and ab workouts. Consequently, I won’t even attempt to comment on those routines, but I will say my biggest problem areas (thighs) are getting leaner, longer, and more streamlined after every workout. My hips are getting smaller, my backside is tighter, and I’ve even noticed my cellulite slowly disappearing. I’ve read several of the reviews which claim Mary Helen is boring, too repetitive, or they can’t stand the piano music, but I have to disagree. I find it refreshing that she doesn’t bark orders at the individuals turning to her for help. Her tone is always incredibly pleasant. I also find it nice that she encourages everyone to drink plenty of water and beginners to take breaks and stretch as needed, instead of demanding everyone push through the pain. As for the piano music, I find it relaxing.

These workouts are a great supplement for people who get plenty of cardio exercise in addition to those who watch what they eat. They’re designed to tone the body, build flexibility, and relax the spirit. Muscles that have never been worked before will be worked in a gentle manner, but don’t expect the movements to be easy. They’re probably the hardest movements I’ve ever done, but they get results. After all, ballet dancers have the bodies they have by doing movements that are repetitive. Exhausting the muscles is what firms them up. Thank you, Mary Helen, for sharing your secret to maintaining a ballet body to those of us who don’t wear tutus and can’t stand on their tippy toes for very long. You’re a beautiful, elegant lady with an enviable figure earned through years of perfecting your craft. I don’t expect my body to look like yours, but I’m thrilled it’s evolving into the best version of my body ever.
11 comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2014
I wouldn't call myself a dancer... yeah I am those people born with two left feet and my dance moves aren't exactly my forte. I am also that type of woman who packs the weight on the legs and hips. I have worked out with Shaun T for over a year and to my dismay have notice my thighs turning into muscles but not really shrinking. I gave up working out for a few months due to many circumstances but when I got back to it I wanted to use the best strategy to loose weight in my butt and legs. I have been doing half the workouts on this video twice a week and I have alternated with 30 minutes on my recumbent bike the three other days I work out. (Day 1 bike, Day 2 Bridges series, abs and arms, Day 3 bike, Day 4 Inner and outer thighs, Standing, Day 5 bike) - I am a 35 year old woman who hasn't had as thin legs as now since I was a teenager. It only took two weeks to start seeing very noticeable results, my size 6 pants are getting loose when 2 weeks ago they were tight. Combine with a balance healthy diet, this work out is perfect for women (and men) like me who seem to not be able to shrink those pants sizes :-) And yes for somebody with 0 experience in dancing and even less so in Ballet, this workout can be a tad challenging at first but one gets used to it. And also remember you only get as much result as you push yourself during the exercises. I am actually planning to buy the other DVD in this series. Good luck if I can do this anyone can :-)
on January 9, 2017
I love MHB and this is a great workout. When I first tried her workouts (I started with Swan Arms) I couldn't believe how hard they were! And I am an intermediate to advanced exerciser. But these exercises hurt in places I didn't know existed! But in a good way! I do have to pause for a few seconds every so often because my muscles are on fire! This is not an easy workout. The arms in this were easier than swan arms. They didn't feel as effective.

I really like how you can pick and choose which body parts to work on. I do 2 or 3 of them at the end of a cardio workout.

I don't think I'll look like MHB after doing these even for months! But it's definitely a nice workout to add into my rotation. And it definitely feels effective. Great workout.
on May 3, 2015
Let me start by saying that I am no ballerina - I am a deeply uncoordinated asthmatic who would like to get in better shape in the privacy of her own home. This DVD is amazing. She is the least irritating exercise guide (calming, soothing, doesn't tell you that you look good when you really, really don't). What I love in particular is that this is the best targeted workout that I've ever done - you pick an exercise to do, and then that part of your body will HURT. But ONLY that part of your body will hurt. If I could go back and pay for more this, I would because that girl deserves every penny for the workout that I get. I guess the downside is that I will never be a ballerina, but I did know that already.
on September 3, 2012
I stumbled on Mary Helen Bowers series of DVD's through Amazon and have enjoyed them, her streaming videos on her website, her book and her live classes. This is DVD is the foundation of my workouts and I alternate the other DVD and streaming videos along with a live class. I have been the DVD workout queen for over 15 years and never, ever, have I enjoyed the results I have from just 3 months of Ballet Beautiful. I have done them all and enjoyed many, however, I have the best posture, core strength, elongated strong legs and stamina I have ever had (and this is 1 1/2 years after falling from my horse and breaking a vertebrae) and above all - I look forward to my workouts, I enjoy them and feel great afterwards. In fact, I try to get in at least 30 minutes before going to ride, makes a huge difference for me in my performance. I am not sure where the guy who reviewed this is getting his comments from, but I can honestly say the proof is not only in the physical appearance, but I am an avid equestrian and I have had trainers and other riders ask me what I have changed that I am riding so well now - versus even a few months ago. I can now finally do what my trainer is teaching me because I have the physical strength and stamina, finally! Thank you Mary Helen!!
1515 comments| 317 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2017
The workouts on this DVD are easy to follow and are accompanied by lovely classical music. While it is "basically" low impact, the repetitive movements can make it hard on joints. Workouts are good at firming everything up, but I did not experience much muscle definition change. I did not use this to lose weight, so I am not for sure how it performs in this area. I started out pretty weak from an illness, and it helped me gain strength without having to keep up with a fast paced weight lifting program. I used this, the BB: Cardio Fat Burn, and walking for about 4 months on a consistent basis. I also did not start out doing all the repetitions, which are many! I like how it is divided up into segments to make it easy to establish a daily routine. Overall, this DVD really served it's purpose in every way I needed. :)
on February 13, 2017
This DVD is great for those beginning BB as its exercises are less intense compared to those in the other DVDs. There are 6 videos around 8-15 minutes each (they total an hour), and it's nice to be able to pick and choose which areas you want to target.
on June 16, 2014
A month ago I developed pes anserine bursitis in my knee as a result of all the walking and C25King I'd been doing. I was searching Amazon Prime for a low-impact workout I could do and in a fit of desperation tried BB. Let's just say that the first few times I did it I called poor Mary Helen some very unladylike names as I was lumbering around my bedroom floor like a hippo in heat. Since then, though, I've done the entire workout about 16 times and see tremendous improvement in muscle tone. My legs are much more shapely, I've got tiny little triceps (so cute!) and my lingering postpartum pelvic pain (SPD?) that flared up monthly with my period is gone now that I actually have some muscle back instead a big hollow void of a core. I can now keep up with Mary Helen and have moved on to the demi-pointe versions of the bridge exercises.
on April 10, 2014
First off, I'm so not an exerciser by any means...it takes a lot to get me motivated, and Ballet Beautiful is finally the ONE workout that fits me. Mary Helen makes you feel that you CAN get a better body by eating right and doing her workout. And seeing is believing - I have done this workout about 7 times and can feel how strong and toned my body is already getting. I recently tried her Intro to Cardio workout off her website which is wonderful for more cardio work and makes me feel like a ballerina! She explains the positions and moves and it's quite a workout too. A great tip I read by another reviewer helped tremendously - to MIRROR Mary Helen and not follow her left/right cues in the video - when I mirror her, I get the positions correct the first time around and it saves me from having to rewind or pause. Honestly, I feel with Mary Helen by my side I can become fit and lean and healthy. Her workouts are SO much better than the gym, treadmill, weights...the perfect workout if you are like me, and would just rather stay home and do an amazing workout in your living room :) All her workouts are soothing and calm, with the classical piano in the background. These are the first workout series that I actually look forward to doing...every day. If I only have time for 15 minutes, I do the ab series and arm series...so I always get a little something in. My fear in exercising was that I'd get bulky as I'm only 5' tall - but I fear no longer! I can already see my legs getting leaner...I had done Callanetics prior, but the ballerina-base that Mary Helen uses is much more graceful and fun, with tremendous *quick* results. THANK YOU Mary Helen - you are an inspiration to me....I can't wait to see my body in a few months!
on November 18, 2016
I love this workout. I started with Body Blast, and this one has 10 minute segments instead of 15, which makes it easier. Her workouts are intense and effective. The big difference between these workouts as compared to other Barre routines, is keeping that leg stretched out as much as possible, and keeping knees taunt as well. A bent knee will not give you the same results. I've noticed a difference all over my body. I still do Tracy's arms sometimes, but these ones are more effective. You will not bulk up. A big plus in my book. These are also easy to memorize, so you can take them with you when you travel. Warning: the circles for legs and arms are killer.

Mary Helen Bowers is a great teacher with a gentle disposition. Like the classical music, and her minimal talking.