Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on July 19, 2015
I recognize the barre work and center combinations. It's old and dated, but that's irrelevant because it's very good. My ex ballet master was David Howard's contemporary. They danced and taught at NYC and ABT. So I feel like I'm 16 again when I work out to this DVD. It will work for you if you want to maintain or improve your technique and build your strength, even if you aren't interested in joining the corps!
on August 22, 2013
I had not taken ballet for years and wanted a DVD that would duplicate an authentic ballet class. This is it. The only problem is I am more out of shape than I realized and found it difficult to keep up with the class as it progressed. Some of the bar work was way too fast and advanced for me. I should have realized that after not taking a ballet class for 20 years, I cannot pick up where I left off. So I just do the beginning 20 minutes of the DVD. Now I need to find a beginner version DVD that is not too basic.
on September 6, 2010
This dvd was more or less what I expected. Sure, it was filmed in the 80s so the music and costumes are somewhat.... vintage. But the dancing instructions are good and the dvd is a good solution when there is no time to actually attend a dance class, or when travelling. It kept me in shape during my summer vacation, so I could spend 3 weeks away from a dance studio without my turnout suffering too much. You of course will have to solve the problem of not having a barre in the middle of your living room... I lined up a couple of high-back stools and it worked out well. The barre excersises are good, the frappes are particularly challeging. The center work is on the fast side without too much instruction, to follow it definitely requires previous dance experience. The grand allegro at the very end is only meant for the dancers on the dvd to show off, just a montage with no choreography and no instruction... But then again, how would you do a grand jette in your living room without suffering fatal injuries? Overall a good purchase, David Howard's dancing has a lyrical style which I really like -in contrast with most other ballet dvds which feel more like a gymnastics workout than a dance.
on October 18, 2016
Although the DVD is listed as about Lynn Stanford, most people will buy it for the brilliant ballet class by the late David Howard, for which Lynn Stanford was the accompanist.
on February 26, 2017
This man was such a gifted artist I am glad to have his class on DVD. Film and pictures are a moment in time this one definitely is. His death was trendeless loss on the dance community. Great class
on May 31, 2004
This tape is just like taking an intermediate or advanced- beginning class (but much cheaper and easier to fit into a busy schedule). The production isn't fabulous, but who cares- David Howard is one of the best ballet teachers in the world and the dancers demonstrating are lovely( but extremely skinny- be warned if you find this discouraging). I used to dance quite seriously and did this video every day for months to get back in shape without getting sick of it. There is a full barre and the center combinations are enjoyable, well choreographed, and you don't need too much space to do them. A truly great video if you already have a fair amount of ballet experience.
on October 18, 2014
Great ballet class but very dated. I would love an updated one!
on August 25, 2016
Love his videos. He was a great man!
on February 24, 2002
This video is excellent for those of you who want to go to a ballet class in your own home! I am an intermediate/advanced dancer who has returned to dancing after many years. This video has helped me to get back in ballet shape. It has all the barre and floor exercises of a studio ballet class together with beautiful piano music. David Howard does a great job explaining, with not too much talking, how to do each combination. In order to dance full-out, you will need some room to dance during the floor exercises. Great exercise -- every muscle gets a workout!
on November 13, 2013
This DVD is good for someone who has taken some ballet lessons enough to know basic barre work. Some of the exercises seem a bit unusual, maybe to engage people who are truly "advanced." The video itself is rather dated but well directed.