Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on March 12, 2017
I bought this for my five year old niece at Xmas, as she gets restless in the car, and I wanted to give her something that would distract her from the damn ipad. This is supposedly a classic (never heard of it, but the reviews were super enthusiastic) I go on vacations with my niece and my sister fairly frequently, involving long car drives. As soon as we started listening to it, I thought it would be over her head. It's pretty sophisticated for a five year old. Lots of semi-complicated plot. However, to my surprise, my niece was into it. She liked having three different girl characters to interest her, she liked their names, and she was interested in their differences. She liked the British accent of the narrator. She asked a lot of questions. I suspect she enjoyed that the girls were under the supervision of a young woman and not a parent, and she was intrigued by the dance angle.

So the lesson is, don't underestimate the children in your life. Another plus, it's quite a long story, with a lot of discs, so there's always a new chapter to get interested in. The story is pretty evenly balanced among the girls. I guess adults aren't the best judges. If I had listened to this before listening with my niece, I might have exchanged it, but my niece was immediately taken by it.
on February 23, 2015
Love, love, love this book. I loved it as a child and passed it on to my daughter who also loved it. I was able to buy a very high quality hardback for her some years ago and I had expected the same quality when I ordered this version for my great niece. It is not that book. The Turtleback School edition uses paper that is of the same grade that would be used in a cheap paperback. Very disappointing.
on January 30, 2016
A classic story about a family of mis-matched orphans growing up, facing up to circumstances and learning that everyone is different. Entirely heartwarming.
on January 15, 2015
I can't believe I never read this book until now! Very sweet. Very detailed. As a matter of fact, it's so rare nowadays for such fine, detailed, and consistent deep characterization to show up in a novel written for young people.
on June 22, 2015
A wonderful story! Once you've read the book, check out both movies.
on December 8, 2014
All the shoe books are amazingly well written and inspiring. My 13 year old granddaughter is not a reader but she really could not put these books down. She found time to read.
on March 14, 2017
Book as described, excellent condition.
on April 15, 2014
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I'm a bit of an Anglophile so I love any story set in London. It just seemed so wonderful to me to go to a school where you danced and acted. Petrova is my favorite character. I ordered it to add to my book collection and reread it.
on April 14, 2014
I have always loved this book and am so happy to have been able to add it to my kindle library. This is a classic 'kiddult' book; that is, a book that crosses the generations to be enjoyed by both kids and adults
on October 17, 2016
Bought this book along with three others for my granddaughter. Hope she likes them!!