Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on April 21, 2017
I love this album. I grew up listening to it and now that Im an old man I enjoy it even more.
on March 30, 2017
A great German rock and roll band. Very good album. Lead singer has a unique voice.
on September 11, 2006
I remember in 1984 when I first heard the song "Balls to the Wall" on the radio. The song was by an intriguing German band I never heard of: Accept. Needless to say the song utterly blew me away! It sounded like AC/DC but way more sophisticated and with a vocalist that, while reminiscent of both of AC/DC's singers, was even MORE over-the-top, if you can believe that. Anyway, I immediately went out and purchased the album "Balls to the Wall."

After digesting it I concluded that, although "Balls" was indeed the best song on the recording, there were about four or five other songs of premium quality. As for the rest, they were decent; I certainly wouldn't call them 'filler,' like a lot of songs on just about every Iron Maiden release.

As for the lyrics, they were generally intelligent and covered a good spectrum -- politics on a social, sexual and global level, but some left me baffled like "Love Child" where singer Udo states: "Feeling the power of lust when the guy's passing by" and "Don't know what I am, a woman or a man." It helped later when I found out the lyrics were written by their female manager Gaby Hauke (i.e. "Deaffy").

Here's a run-down of the songs:

1.) BALLS TO THE WALL (5/5 Stars). This is nothing short of a masterpiece -- musically kick-a$$ and lyrically profound. It's a paean for the rights of the oppressed and a call to revolution.

2.) LONDON LEATHERBOYS (4/5 STARS). This one has riffs reminiscent of Judas Priest's "Killing Machine," but the song itself is arguably better. The lyrics detail the tragic story of a London bike gang.

3.) FIGHT IT BACK (3/5 Stars). This is a likable, aggressive number that addresses freedom from conventional social drudgery (e.g. 'punching in' and doing your time).

4.) HEAD OVER HEALS (5/5 Stars). Starts out with a lonely bass riff followed by a creative guitar accompaniment. This is one of the best songs on the album. The lyrics interestingly deal with going to a park late at night and stumbling upon people having sex (!), subsequently becoming entranced.

5.)LOSING MORE THAN YOU'VE EVER HAD (5/5 Stars). This song shows that Udo can do much more than scream in an irritating manner. The mature lyrics personally address the ex-boyfriend of an abused woman (as in 'give it up, you've lost her'). This song is emotionally potent and is one of the highlights of the CD.

6.)LOVE CHILD (3/5 Stars). Decent number about a charismatic dude that oozes sexuality and incites lust.

7.)TURN ME ON (3/5 Stars). This one has an infectious chorus and a smoking lead guitar solo; the subject matter is obvious.

8.) LOSERS AND WINNERS (2/5 Stars). I'm not a big fan of this ditty; the lyrics are inoffensive but dumb. Example: "Write a letter (What's the matter) You'll feel better (Write a letter)." Without a doubt the least of the numbers on the album.

9.) GUARDIAN OF THE NIGHT (4.5/5 Stars). Starts out with a nice acoustic piece and then gets ultra-heavy (for that era, at least). The lyrics deal with a night-loving misfit that is unable to fit into conventional society.

10.) WINTERDREAMS (5/5 Stars). This one begins with a moody, plodding bass followed by an acoustic guitar, leading to some power chords in the distant and UDO's great singing voice. The chorus is melodic and acoustic in nature. The lyrics deal with a person experiencing a beautiful and surreal moment of magic in the middle of a winter snowfall.

BONUS SONGS: Live versions of "Head Over Heals" and "Love Child" are included. These songs prove one thing: Accept are perfectly capable of recreating their songs in a live setting; in fact, both songs sound even better than their studio counterparts. Udo is nothing short of magnificent live!

As for the heavily criticized cover art/photo: I like it and think it's completely fitting to the themes covered on the disk. I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality, I might add. Interestingly, Motley Crue's debut album "Too Fast for Love" had a very similar cover (albeit inferior) and was released about the same time.

The sleeve features the best close-up picture of the band ever taken. It's just a great picture (and, yes, I say that with an unmarred record of heterosexuality as well).

FINAL ANALYSIS: This 1984 metal recording is a mandatory purchase if just for the song "Balls to the Wall;" fortunately there's so much more. Needless to say, I refuse to even take calls from metal friends that don't have this in their listening arsenal.
on May 21, 2014
I love this album, it was the first accept album that I heard. The music is a very classic heavy metal with strong voices and fantastic guitar solos. Compared to the other amazing accept album, restless and wild, I find this one a little bit more melodic and not so fast. In regard to the audio quality, I have not heart the last remastered, so I cannot say anything about it. I bough a cd of the 90s mastered by Vic Anesin, because I read in one of the comments that the audio in the last remastered cd is not good. I only can say that my cd sounds very good. I strongly recommend this album to who loves the classical heavy metal.
on August 7, 2016
Another Accept album that is one of my favorites that has meaning and feeling. I have this one in vinyl. I crank it in my truck loud and proud like all the other metal like Overkill also, the old school preferably. Some of the new school metal doesn't have it like the old school metal.Old school metal is what metal suppose to be not the sappy crap.
on March 21, 2014
"Balls to the Wall" was actually one of the better metal albums of the era.. between the screaming guitar tandem and the growling vocals, Accept's 1984 release is still as much fun to listen to, as it was 30 years ago.
Made loud to be played loud, don't forget to crank it up - this album rawwwwks at 110 dbs.
Highly recommended for any metal head. . The 3-star rating reflects the cheesy writing on a few of the songs, and the overall roughness of Udo's vocals..a little better writing would've put this album on the four-star list, all it needed was one good song to roll over a hit..
on May 5, 2014
Four stars on a scale of five, for arena-rock. If you don't like the era of AC-DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, et al., one star - or maybe two since this German outfit were actually a cut above. For example, the title track is actually about the coming day of reckoning when "the wretched of the earth" break free from their chains. But if it's sex you want, they sing about that two - and quite edgily, I may add. The singer has been likened to Bon Scott but, if anything, was even more manic,
on April 3, 2017
Accept rocks
on June 27, 2017
Smoking ass cd all songs rock the house love it it's been 20 or more years since I heard it I recommend it to everyone couldn't find it in stores thank you so much you brought back alot of memories
on March 13, 2015
Its 2015 and I just discovered this band. These days when its hard to search for new rock material, something is discovered and I accept discovering Accept better late than never. Balls to the Wall is for me a classic. The title track rocks along with the rest of the music on this cd.
Good melodic hard rock, the type I enjoy the most. Balls to the Wall is a must for your hard rock library.