Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 4, 2009
There are 2 groups of people that typically play Guitar Hero: Those who are score obsessed... they are all about mastering the most challenging of songs and having the highest scores on the leaderboards. Then there are those who love having a group of their friends over to play plastic instruments and yell at the top of their lungs for hours on end. For the most part...I fall into the second category.

I have loved every entry in the Rock Band series, and more recently fell in love with Guitar Hero 5. However, these games have failed me in one vital area: the soundtrack for these games is kinda niche. Oftentimes when friends or family would come over for a "Guitar Hero" or "Rock Band" party, it would turn into each of them taking turns scrolling through hundreds of alternative, progressive, or heavy metal songs until they find one or two that they know and KINDA LIKE... and since they don't necessarily own a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game, they aren't overly concerned about scores or anything like that...they just want to play music they know and love. That is where Band Hero swoops in to save the day (or at least save my party!!)

Rather than focusing on niche genres of music, Band Hero does the exact opposite... Band Hero's soundtrack is focused on Pop music. The very definition of POP MUSIC is music that is popular... songs that everyone knows and loves. And I have to say, Band Hero delivers. There is some great music on Band Hero. Granted, the setlist on Guitar Hero 5 was more appealing to me personally... but Band Hero's setlist will be a HUGE hit at my next party, which, thanks to Band Hero, will be more of a "Karaoke party that also features all of the cool Guitar Hero elements for those interested" than a "Guitar Hero party". Here are some of my observations about the game:

*The Music - As I mentioned, the game focuses on pop music, with artists ranging from Yellowcard to Hillary Duff to Taylor Swift to No Doubt and so on. There are several "guilty pleasures" songs that, while I wouldn't admit enjoying any other time, will be a HUGE hit when having friends over to play (especially my wife's friends)... like The Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, Joss Stone. There are even classic songs like "Rio" by Duran Duran, "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club, and "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas (right?)... and cmon...who can really claim not to love singing any of those songs? Sure, they are really easy to play on guitar/bass/drums for the most part.... but they are fun. Besides, if you want a challenge...check out the SONG IMPORT feature!

*Song Import: For a small fee, you can import 61 songs from Guitar Hero 5, and several of the songs from Guitar Hero Smash Hits and Guitar Hero World Tour. Before importing Guitar Hero 5 (and after importing smash hits and world tour), I already had a total of 140 songs available to play in Band Hero! So, in addition to the pop songs included on the disk, I am also able to include alot of the great and more challenging songs from Guitar Hero 5 (like "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Medicate", and lots of other great stuff!!!)

*Downloadable Content: Like Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero:World Tour, Band Hero includes an in-game music store that allows you to purchase additional songs. Hopefully, this means that, in addition to the more hardcore downloadable songs available for Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero will also be getting downloadable pop music! Also, most (if not all) of the dlc that you purchase for Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero World Tour are AUTOMATICALLY playable in Band Hero! If, however, you want these to be excluded from Band Hero, there is a place in the Options menu that allows dlc to be disabled. With downloadable content and importing the songs from other versions of Guitar Hero, I should have a library of over 200 song available for playing in Band Hero by the end of the week!

*Band Hero = Guitar Hero 5 with more neon lights: Guitar Hero 5 for Wii is a game that any person with a Wii should own. Period. It was the first of the rhythm games to use high-capacity sd cards, effectively adding a hard drive to your Wii. It had AWESOME features like Party Play mode, drop-in and drop-out multiplayer, and the ability change difficulty on the fly. "Beginner" difficulty is also included, which will allow ANYONE to pick up this game and start playing, no matter what skill level. And then there was the AWESOME, Wii-exclusive "Roadie Battle" mode that allowed someone to sit on the sideline with a DS and sabotage other players.... PRICELESS!!! ALL of the features from Guitar Hero 5 are also implemented in Band Hero. That automatically makes Band Hero AWESOME. Period.

I really hope Band Hero sells well. Activision took a great game and made it more marketable. Between DJ Hero, Band Hero, and Guitar Hero 5, there is no longer any excuse for people not to jump in and enjoy rythym gaming. Unless you hate music and hate fun, you should own this game. =) Some parents/players were put off by some of the art style used in the Guitar Hero games (lots of skulls, demons, lightning bolts, and heavy metal)... and those people will be happy to know that the look and feel used in Band Hero is more family friendly...they've replaced those things with neon lights, starbursts, glitter, floodlights... it really feels like "Guitar Hero" meets "The MTV VMA Awards". I really enjoy the game, and hope you will too!!

My review scores:

Gameplay: 10/10
Difficulty: 8/10 (Anyone from grandma to seasoned hardcore guitar hero veterans can get loads of value out of this game)
Presentation: 9/10
Lasting Value: 9/10
Overall: 9.5/10
22 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 18, 2015
Love this! Bought it for Taylor swift and was not disappointed. still love playing guitar hero and these type games.
on January 26, 2010
Band Hero is awesome. I love the graphics and the little stories you get with new venues. Very cute. And I love the newer, more up-to-date songs.

I also really like the challenges that are associated with each song. Makes it easier to play by yourself and still have fun.

I love the stats it gives for each song in terms of the amount/complexity for each instrument. So if you want to play something with heavy bass, you can see right away which songs have the complex bass parts.

Some things that bother me are that you have to pick one online name for your game and everyone that plays has that name associated with them.

If you're not careful the rocker you're playing with currently will be duplicated on another instrument so it'll be like your rocker is playing drums and singing. This can be a little annoying and you have to plug in another instrument and manually change the rocker to someone different. Seems like the system should automatically recognize duplicate rockers and change them automatically.

Also, I don't like that the gigs only play one song at a time. In Guitar Hero World Tour if you played a gig it played each song in the gig one-after-the-other. Band Hero plays one song, then takes you back to the gig's menu and you have to choose the next song. Again, a little annoying and time consuming for no reason.

Band Hero is a fun game. Great to play with friends or by yourself.
on February 4, 2010
I bought this for my 15 yr old daughter and 12 year son to go along with all their other rockband games to play with their friends. In the two months we have had this, I have noticed that Rockband Beatles and Rockband Country are being played all the time by the gang of teens at my house and Band Hero has only been played once or twice. I figure worth having around since I got it on a today's deal promotion, but if I had to pay full price I would think twice about buying it.
on October 2, 2011
Got Warriors of Rock Guitar Hero for my husband for his birthday. Our daughter didn't know / like a lot of the songs, so I bought this for more variety. We all enjoy it and like the variety.
on December 26, 2011
We have several versions of Guitar Hero and this is by far our new favorite! My husband and I play with our 9 and 11 year old daughters and it's fun to finally have a version where the kids know the majority of the songs. It's also cool that they added Taylor Swift and Maroon 5, etc to the stage characters.
on February 12, 2010
I ordered this for my 11 and 14 year old daughters for Christmas. They are huge Taylor Swift fans and love to sing...it was the hit of their Christmas break. I think we had a full house almost every day with pre-teen and teenage girls singing and laughing. We all agree that the song choices are even better than the original Guitar Hero, now me and my husband can join in the fun and know the words. Great for all ages!
on January 3, 2010
Band Hero is the most fun game of the century in music class, taste, and style. I would really like it to come with a intruction manual on what you should click if you wanted to make your own song in GH studios. I would have to rate this game ages 9 and up because of the singing words. I really don't like how it cusses in some songs because I'm not aloud to say them. Anyway the game is GREAT!
on April 30, 2013
way better than rock band for the less musically intense family, lol. we were happy to have pop songs for those of us that like to sing along rather than scream...
on January 4, 2013
this is my first time to try this guitar hero... with the many songs that i know, the good price and quality of the CD, it made all a good experiance/deal
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.