Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Banjo For Dummies
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 7, 2013
I bought my wife a banjo. Then it dawned on me, she's never played a banjo before. She's not going to enjoy just a banjo. So I also got her some finger picks, an electronic tuner, and this book.

She found everything she has needed in this book so far. The banjo needed some assembly, some things tightened/adjusted, and a lot of tuning. All of that was clearly explained in this book.

She says there is also a section about choosing a banjo. I wished I'd thought about that before I bought the banjo but it turns out that the banjo I picked was a good one for her and the book confirmed that.

If you are starting in banjo, start with this book. Actually, get this book before you even buy the banjo.
on January 16, 2016
EXCELLENT CONDITION FOR A USED COPY OF "BANJO FOR DUMMIES", ALSO THE CD IS PERFECT. THE BOOK LOOKS LIKE IT WAS NEVER EVEN USED. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I AM A BASS PLAYER OF 28 YEARS, & I AM STILL LEARNING THANKS TO THESE BOOKS. I JUST STARTED PLAYING THE BANJO SO IM SURE I WILL BE READING INFORMATION THAT WILL BE MORE THAN USEFULL.
on February 18, 2012
I am about in the middle of this book. When I was in college, I tried to learn the banjo. I had a book, it didn't work for me. I had an instructor, it didn't work for me. I sold my banjo. That worked for me because I never learned. I bought this book. It works for me. Bill lays it out, step by step. After getting through all the right hand rolls and techniques for three finger picking, which is my interest, hey --- I can do it. I actually hear what sounds like music coming from my banjo when I play. I learned enough from the start to buy a decent learning banjo and keep it in playing condition as well as in tune. The book is layed out to encourage a new learner. I read the review from the guy who had a minor criticism that the tab was small and hard to read for us OFs. I solved that by enlarging scans and using them to get the techniques down pat. For me it was mostly reading which finger to use when doing the rolls. All in all its a great book and I will add or write another review when I finish the left hand techniques and melodic playing. In the mean time ---- THANKS BILL!!!!!
on October 15, 2013
I was really looking forward to receiving this book and was very pleased
when it arrived a day early.
However, looking through the book just now I see a major problem. All of the
photos are dark and hard to see. The smaller photos, the ones showing the postions
of holding the banjo, etc are especailly bad. It may just be the particular copy that I have
that has this issue. If I am dependent on these photos for information, this will be
a big hindrance.
I can only give it 2 stars at this time because of this.
I am truly disappointed.
It is too soon for me to rate the book as far as the information contained and how well it will help me
with my lessons.
on December 27, 2014
Great book! I bought an entry level Banjo and used this book. I bought the kindle version. The approach combined with the CD tracks (which you can download) are great! I slowly worked my way through the book mastering each section as best I could, which the CD tracks made possible. I used other resources as well but this is a great book to start with. One thing I would like to see more of is the general best practices for positioning the right hand, but again there is no real right way. There are a few things to avoid, but there is no one way to do it so maybe that's why there isn't a direct statement on it.
VINE VOICEon July 1, 2010
"Banjo for Dummies" by Bill Evans is full of information about all things Banjo. What makes this book so unique is that it teaches the basics of BOTH clawhammer and Bluegrass styles, and gives examples of other techniques such as minstrel. This lets new pickers get a taste for the different styles before they decide which they like best. (Most instructional books are dedicated to only clawhammer or Scruggs Bluegrass)

The CD that comes with it is the perfect learning tool, since a person needs an audio reference to really be sure they're getting the exercises and songs the correct way. And it's great for playing along with tunes after you learn them.

Another cool thing is that the book starts you off on two particular songs, "Red River Valley" and "Boil Them Cabbage Down", first on easy strums, then with basic clawhammer and bluegrass methods, and later shows advanced arrangements of these two classics with hammer-ons and slides. It was fun to play the easy version the day I got the book and progress to the hard versions.

Aside from a very nice collection of tabbed songs, Mr. Evans gives detailed instructions for such things as choosing and changing strings, basic care of the instrument, and an interesting history of the Banjo.

I highly recommend this book for first time banjo players, for pickers who want to experiment with new styles, or for the know-it-all who wants to learn even more. :)
on January 17, 2013
I bought this book for my boy (just for the record) to go with his new banjo. I have been reading it, though, and I plan to limber up the paws again very soon. It is laid out in a very clear and concise manner, and anyone that loves banjos and wants to play one could learn to with the included information. The chapter on rolls is worth the price of the book!
on March 28, 2017
Great book for beginners and advanced beginners.
on January 4, 2012
I have always been a fan of the "For Dummies" book franchise. This product is no different, it was a great read and highly informative. The detailed fingering charts were a big help and really a great way for people who are just starting out to get a better feel for the banjo and for the way they should place their hands on the neck of the instrument or which finger to go on which string. It goes from the bare basics of how to hold the instrument properly and up to a more intermediate level of musicianship by the end of the book, so to make a long story short, I highly recommend this book for people who are just starting out or just wanted a refresher on the basics to expand their musical knowledge of the banjo.
on December 8, 2014
This book shows a person how to play the banjo and explains the logic. While it is good, it is really should be used along with lessons from a real person.