Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on July 1, 2016
I have owned this radio for approximately two years. All functions of the radio remain fully intact. It is my little "tank" radio. I would purchase again if lost/stolen.

I was pessimistic about the potential quality and reliability of this inexpensive radio. Out-of-the-box reviews are fun but do not address the critical question: Will the thing still work next year? Specifically for this reason, I plan to delay future reviews a bit to gauge field reliability and quality after the device has banged around in the back of my pickup for awhile.

I four wheel drive around Arizona. Except for the Phoenix/Tucson corridor, cell phone coverage takes a crap outside the metro areas. This radio is my link to the mountain top repeater and land line if serious trouble unfolds. It took two years of experience with this radio for trust to evolve but I am confident now that this little dude will fire up and transmit when needed.

Two recommendations for you:

1. Use the data cable and computer to program the radio. Punching all that in from the front keypad is interminably boring.

2. The radio does not always align with the charging tabs and requires a bit of "modification" to get the electrons moving appropriately.
on October 2, 2013
I own a UV-5R+ and run a Nagoya NA-701 Antennae on top. After reading several reviews, I decided to give the UV-82 a shot. First and foremost, in my opinion and based on my first impressions of the radio - it does have better reception with it's own stock antennae than the UV-5R+ does with even the Nagoya. Our local repeater is 10 miles away and I was able to hear the net check tonight without having to go outside. The reception's sound was amazing, the guys came in loud and clear.

As the other gentleman said, the radio fits better in your hand as is larger than the UV-5R and UV-B5/6 series. This radio is solid & well built - it's made for work and everyday use.

The squelch actually works on this model. Both of my radios are set to 5. The UV-82 doesn't pick up as much key check and static from guys hitting the repeaters, not so with the UV-5R.

The manual is 'now more better', but the Chinese would do well to hire an American or Brit to proofread the copy first. For first time radio operators, it actually explains what the radio functions in the menu do (ex. actual explains the BCL utility). This bit of detail was lacking in the UV-5R product line (though more support sites exist for that model.)

Also, this UV-82 series has two PTT buttons, so you can set it up to monitor two repeaters on A/B, selectively scan those stations and unlike the UV-5R, don't have to hit the A/B button switch between frequencies.

Moving on, there are some issues I have with the UV-82 radio;

As stated, the reception is very good, but it's super sensitive on some FM frequencies (especially on FM Radio RX, I live right down the mountain from a FM station and it picks up a frequency click, while the UV-5R does not). One reviewer rightly tagged it for having some harmonics issues.

1) You lose the VFO/M button. With this system, you have to hold the menu button and turn the unit on and off to switch between frequency and memory. While a bit annoying, it wasn't hard to get used to.
2) Unlike the UV-5R series, the UV-82 doesn't sit well on a flat surface. The radio's own base could be better.
3) The charging base is a bit lacking, you almost have to angle the radio right to fit it in the slot so that it starts to charge.

Han'sHam site has a fix here for the base: [...]

Product experts abound on the internet: but the UV-82 has a fairly small knowledge base compared to the tried and true UV-5R and it's steady cousin the B5. Before you buy, contact Martyn at Radio Mart to see if this is a good fit for you, he knows more about these radios than most and you can call him on the phone. He also sponsors the UV-82 Yahoo support group.

All and all - I wouldn't give up the UV-5R yet if you plan on switching it out for a UV-82, it's done right by me and it suits most of my needs. I do like this UV-82 though and most likely will get another antennae for it soon.

However: all and all, it's a performer, significantly more noticeable power than the previous series, very good sound and excellent reception.
1010 comments| 330 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 26, 2017
I'll mainly highlight the differences between the UV-82 (this unit) and the UV-5RV2. I have both (and the BF-F9V2+, but it's effectively identical to the UV-5R except for output power).

The 82 feels better in your hand. The body seems like it would withstand incidental contact with the elements better than the UV-5R, but it's not waterproof. It also has fewer sharp edges to snag on things. The 82 is about 1" taller (body only) than the 5R.

The number buttons on the 82 are about three times the size of those on the 5R and the up/down/menu/exit buttons are about twice the size of those on the other unit. All buttons, including PTT, mon, and FM are rubberized on the 82 and just feel right. The buttons on the 5R are too small for human fingers. Don't even try to hit one if you're wearing gloves.

The 82 has dual PTT to match the dual VOF present on both units. However, I prefer single PTT and the buttons can only be combined on the commercial version (twice the price!?!).

Apart from the dual PTT, the two radios are functionally identical from a software and interface standpoint. Both radios program easily with CHIRP and a USB adapter.

The antennas on both models are SMA female rubber duckies, but the stock antenna on the 82 is slightly longer and *seems* to work better. Neither will impress you, though. My Nagoya antenna fits into the plastic surround of the 82 slightly better than the 5R and I expect it would keep out contaminants a bit better.

The 82's charging base (included) is nearly weightless, just like the 5R's, but it doesn't have room inside to insert a roll of pennies for adding appropriate weight. And the 82's charger has the *asinine* status LED that stupidly flashes red/green when you don't have the radio in the cradle. Seriously, who decided that was a good idea?!? The 5R's charging cradle glows a pleasant, solid green when the radio isn't present (but the cradle that came with the BF-F9V2+ does the stupid flash thing). The 82 fits *very* snugly into the cradle. Too snugly, IMO. The barrel connectors and power specs on the two cradles are identical, meaning you can use either cradle with the same wall wart, but the two radios don't physically fit into each other's cradle.

The OEM battery on the 82 fits extremely snugly--again, too snugly, IMO. The molded plastic feet on the bottom of the battery are too short, which makes the 82 rock on a perfectly flat surface (the middle of the battery sticks down lower than the feet). There is a larger battery available for the 82, but it doesn't have a direct charging port (barrel connector) like the high capacity battery for the 5R. Other power options (cigarette lighter battery eliminator, AAA battery pack) are available for both.

The 82 has no VFO/MR button, so in order to tune directly to a particular frequency you have to switch modes first in the software menu, which can be pretty cryptic on all the Baofengs. The 5R has a dedicated button for switching between channel and freq modes.

Both radios sound about the same at 50% volume when talking between the two. I believe the mic and speakers in both are roughly equivalent. Both share the same external mic/speaker/program ports behind a flap on the right side of the radio.

Bottom line: Functionally, they're nearly identical. They're roughly the same price. To me, the appropriately-sized (and rubberized) controls and generally better shell design make the UV-82 the better choice.
I ownV three different models of Baofeng's, and this is my favorite. The UV-82 hits the sweet spot for me because of the features, range, and price point. I use these with my kids, so I expect accidents, and if one gets dinged up, it is not the end of the world. It is illegal to use the radios as they come out of the box due to the stock frequencies, and you really do not want to interfere with the professionals who use these frequencies for commercial or official business. However, it is easy to reprogram the frequencies using CHIRP, a free software you can get on the internet. Just watch a 10 minute tutorial video, and you can program the channels that come on any home-use radios that you get from domestically-based manufacturers. I am not tech savvy at all, and I did it on all my Baofengs in minutes apiece. There is a cheaper model, the BF-888, which are OK, but the UV-82 has so much more, including a better range. There is also a more expensive model or two for family use, the BF-F8/F9, which are marginally more powerful, and twice as much money. I am not an expert on two-way radio's, but I have researched quite a bit, and the range does not go up with each extra watt of broadcast power, it takes double the watts to increase the range marginally, and then you really need to get training and a license. It is more efficient to get a better antenna, which are readily available on line. Do not get caught up in manufacturers claims of 10, 20, 30 mile range. That is under ideal conditions from high to low and open air, and perfect weather, and yadda yadda. It is meaningless hyperbole. With stock UV-82's, we can effectively communicate from about 1-2 miles through our suburban neighborhood, less in the dense forest, and more on the open terrain. And that is fantastic for home use radios. We have radios from another popular brand that do not even go that far, and the box says 32 mile range. I pick up weather channel broadcasts from 30 miles away, and sometimes more. The battery lasts a long time on stand-by, but obviously depletes if over used, meaning a few days if on stand-by, and a few hours if constantly used, particularly on transmit, or if you have the speaker up really high while listening to the weather or monitoring other channels. All of our radios have been dropped, and used by running children, and not one has broken beyond use so far. This is a remarkable device for 25-30 dollars.
on June 12, 2017
This is the radio to get, if you think you will need to use two frequencies at the same time. It allows you to monitor 2 different frequencies, and transmit on either one by pressing one of two transmit buttons. Program 2 channels or frequencies into the display, and when you press the top transmit button, you are talking on the frequency shown on the top line of the display, press the bottom button to do the same with the frequency shown on the bottom line of the display. The last frequency you transmitted on becomes the priority channel, meaning that if you are receiving a transmission on both frequencies at once, the priority channel is the one you will hear. You can program it to receive only on the priority channel, or monitor both, and default to the priority channel if both are received at once. There are a lot of options to this radio, and the instruction manual is probably better than most of the English as second language manuals out there. I also have a UV-5R, and this one seems to be built a little sturdier (more metal) with a bigger battery, and somewhat better reception. I do not know if the better reception is the radio or the antenna, as the stock antenna is longer than on the UV-5R. I wouldn't say it is 'better' than the UV-5R, but rather better suited to different needs. The UV-5R is still a great radio, with more (or at least more easily found) accessories. If you are mostly doing simplex (radio to radio) transmissions, the UV-5R is probably a better choice unless you will talk to two groups and need to quickly switch from one to the other. When things get a little exciting it is too easy to hit the wrong button, and transmit to the wrong group. The UV-5 series requires you to purposely toggle from the upper to lower frequency, and has only one transmit button, to transmit on the one that is currently active.
on October 4, 2013
Baofeng has really paid attention to their customers’ wants and needs.

Dual Band Radio excellent for SatCom.

The newest version of this sub $50.00 radio is sure to be a huge hit for Baofeng. I wasn't much impressed with the UV-5r models. Sure they work good, but they kinda feel like you bought them from Toys R Us. The UV-82 has a much better "in the hand feel" then the 5R models, mainly due to its much higher capacity battery and upgraded case. The radio itself is about 1/3 larger than the 5R models, so it simply fits in your hand better. Gone is the toy walkie talkie feel. The key pad has been upgraded and the zero is at the bottom where it should be and lights up white (not off white or orange or green or some other weird hard to see color) and is very easy to see in low light situations. It has much better battery life then the 5R (1800 mA/h) and has a handy and easy removal system. The upgraded larger speaker is loud and clear. The unique dual PTT buttons are a nice add on. No longer do you have to toggle between A/B bands, just simply push the upper PTT for band A and the bottom PTT button for band B. I like this feature because we use the 440 side as around the house/yard communications and the 2 meter side for repeater use. No switching back and forth from A to B to transmit. It also has a very handy LED flash light accessible with its own dedicated on/off button. Programming the radio is just as easy as the 5R as it uses the same operating system. Once you learn what the menu item are, it’s a breeze. A couple of the button functions are a little different from the 5R but no big deal. The free downloadable software makes it “fall off a log” easy to program and store various frequency configurations (like SatCom or local repeater use) and allows you to customize some of the radio parameters that cannot be done using the key pad on the radio. Couple your new UV-82 with an upgraded antenna (I recommend the Diamond RH 771) which you can get right here at Amazon and the speaker mic, which is also available here, and you have a very capable radio at a very affordable price. Like I said in the subject line “Icom and Yeasu better pay attention”. I have several HTs, 2-UV-5Rs, 2-UV-5RAs, 2-Yaesu VX-6Rs and now the UV-82. I've only had it for a few days but it has become my go to HT. Very impressed with it so far and I highly recommend it. I’ll give it 30 days and post an update here.
73,
Joe, N4LWC
44 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2017
This radio makes me happy and frustrated at the same time... because I like it more than the $80 fancy pants TYT radio I already had.

It just /works/, it works as you'd expect, it feels GREAT, it sounds GREAT, audio reports are GREAT, battery life is /insanely great/ in comparison to the UV-5R, its subtle operating changes to be more efficient than the 5R are GREAT, the buttons feel GREAT.

Seriously, you cannot spend under $30 on a radio and get or expect something better, this thing is versatile, tactile, it has fantastic community support and accessory support, THIS IS THE ONE TO GET.

Yes it doesn't have a VFO button, YES its annoying to turn it off, hold down the menu button and power the radio back on to switch to VFO mode. Thats the ONLY issue with this radio, everything else is fantastic.

I kinda want to buy two more, I probably will.

An FYI, mine has separate PTT buttons, they're clicky and great.

Also, cannot set this model to have both PTT buttons act as one, FYI, you need the UV-82C for that.

Seriously, I bought this radio to toss in my motorcycle bag for commuting, I like it a lot better than my much more expensive fancy pants 10 watt cross band bells and whistles radio from TYT, it just /works/ better and easier, it /feels/ nice to use.
on February 12, 2018
Good starter hand-held for the newly licensed ham. Do not torture yourself with the manual. You will never learn to field program using it. Use the instructions at miklor.com instead. Turn off the tail tone. Learn menu items 11,13, 26, 25, 28,27 and try them in that order. Learn to field program by hand. Chirp will not be available when you are away from home and need to find a new repeater. Learn this sequence for each menu item: In frequency mode: press the numbers for the frequency you want to program. Make sure the "lady's" voice is on to talk you through it. Press Menu: <menu #> Menu (again) <up or down on arrow buttons> Menu (again). Hopefully the "lady" will tell you you were successful. Press <Exit>. Repeat for each Menu item. See? That manual was never going to get you that far...Use Repeater Book to find the repeaters and settings you need.
This is an initial review after upgrading from a U-3R+.

To summarize:
BUY THIS (UV-82),
NOT THAT (UV-3R).

This review shouldn't be so much about the 3R - and I will attempt to leave a review for it that you can find (not out just yet).

As a ham, the only issues for the UV-82 are that I can't do the following WITHOUT the software:
- set up which channels are skip
- set up which channels are no-transmit (in Chrip - right click on the channel, select properties, and then specify that the Duplex is set to "OFF" - turns off transmit on channels like NOAA WX that you don't want to transmit on)
- can't program channel names

Initially - I programmed a few channels into the radio, and it would scan them all. Then I used Chirp, and any new channels I add manually after that are automatically skipped (I have tried to google this, but I haven't found a solution).

Some minor nits are the scan speed, and that the front panel buttons (except the LOCK/# and SCAN/* keys and 0 displays battery voltage) don't seem to do anything like what is written on them (blue letters).

Make sure you set up menu #32 (AL-MOD) to "SITE" - so your radio doesn't transmit when you accidentally hold down the 'F' button too long.

Why buy this radio?
This radio receives better than the 3R. The squelch performs better on the 82.
The speaker is better. The battery is better. It fits in the hand easier. It is easier to program with the front panel keypad.

For the extra $1.15 I paid for the UV-82 vs the UV-3R+ ... it's a no-brainer.

2-23-17 update
Chirp has some options that allow you to adjust the squelch levels. Prior to finding this option, other reviews had suggested that there was no difference between squelch setting 1 and 9. After seeing the settings in Chirp, I see how they came to that conclusion. On VHF, the factor settings for squelch levels 0-9 were 0-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30. UHF settings were 0-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25. I have since adjusted my squelch values to 0-30-35-40-45-50-55-60-65-70 for both bands. I may lower UHF settings after further testing.

Why do I want/need higher values? My computer and car give off some interference causing a channel scan to keep stopping. Having the ability to pick a much higher squelch level seems to have solved that problem.

So, when you decide to do this look closely on the left side of the Chirp screen for memories and settings. This is under settings... And service settings... Just another cool feature for those that love to tweak their radios.

Oh! And if you want your radio to function more like a frequency limited ham radio only rig like the big 3 radios do out of the box ... Under "other settings", readjust the VHF limits to 144 and 147, and the UHF limits to 420-449. This will prevent you from transmitting on any stored channels outside of the US ham bands, but any Chirp created channels remain (e.g. NOAA wx, GAMES/FRS) for monitoring purposes.
on June 23, 2016
NOTE: On my most recent purchase I received a "Pofung" version of this radio. They are identical in every way

I have been very impressed by these radios. I own three now and have recommended them to many of my fellow "HAMers". After handling/using both this and the UV-5R. I do like this one a lot more. Mostly for the construction. It does not at all have the "kiddie walkie-talkie" feeling instead feeling very solid. I've got one that I take camping often and another that rides in my truck. The dual PTT button is a nice touch as well that my UV-5R friends envy. Battery life was decent. I turned the flashlight on and the FM radio blaring and that lasted about 10 hours. I have left just the radio monitering for days before and found it still running. I did replace the stock antenna. Not that it was terrible mind you, really it wasn't bad but I did want the extra stretch. So I have a Nagoya NA-771 for the camping radio and a Tram 1185 on the truck radio. (Note, for the tram antennas you will need an adapter such a this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATEDHXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Now as far as programming goes I went the suggested route. I threw away the chinese disk and used a cable (https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Programming-Cable-BAOFENG-BF-888S/dp/B00CP0I474/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466691085&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+cable) with CHIRP software. ([...]) One nice thing about this setup is that once I have programmed all the channels into my CHIRP I can just copy and paste them on to each radio I get. So I have enjoyed this radio it's a radio I've started a lot of guys on so it's a good place to begin, or if you just wand to pick up some "handy talkies" to stash around, these are so inexpensive, and are a great tool for the job.