Baratza Preciso Coffee Grinder 685
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- The Preciso is a beautifully designed conical burr coffee grinder that works as hard as you do to create the perfect espresso experience. It doesn’t stop there of course; the Preciso has also received high marks from coffee experts as an exceptional grinder for the increasingly popular manual brew methods.
- A precision grinder with a micro-adjust system that can be dialed in like a commercial grinder. This, coupled with a coffee throughput that is 1 gram/second faster than other 40mm conical burr grinders, makes the Preciso exceptional for espresso.
- Featuring Baratza’s popular 40-grind adjustment options, the Preciso adds a second micro-adjustment level that further divides each of the 40 steps into 11 distinct settings. This means you have significantly more control over your espresso grind.
- The Preciso features the quality internal parts and external elements you’ve come to expect from Baratza. It also comes equipped with our innovative PortaHolder, allowing you to grind your espresso hands-free, directly into the portafilter for quick setup and cleanup.
- Speed to Grind: 1.5 to 2.4 g/sec.; Bean Hopper Capacity: 8 oz (227g); Grounds Bin Capacity: 5 oz. (142 g); Weight: 8 lbs. (3.6kg); Dimensions WxHxD cm: 12x35x16 cm; Power Rating (North America): 110 V AC 50/60 Hz. 1 Amp; Power Rating (Other): 230 V AC 50/60 Hz. .5 Amps; Safety Listing:UL/CSA/CE/EK; Designed & Engineered: Seattle, WA, USA.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare with similar items
Baratza 586 Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder
Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Baratza Virtuoso - Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder
Baratza Sette 270 - Conical Burr (with Grounds Bin and built-in PortaHolder)
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||—||CulinaryTools||Barista Lab||Java Exotic Imports||Seattle Coffee Gear||Barista Lab|
|Item Dimensions||5.12 x 5.31 x 13.78 in||2.56 x 5.91 x 5.31 in||4.72 x 6.29 x 13.77 in||—||4.7 x 9.8 x 13.8 in||9.45 x 5.12 x 14.96 in|
|Item Weight||7.94 lbs||7.15 lbs||6.83 lbs||8.73 lbs||15.4 lbs||7.05 lbs|
|Material Type||Stainless Steel||Brushed satin metal, Black plastic||Stainless Steel||—||Stainless Steel||—|
Burrs: Manufactured in Europe, the Preciso’s 40 mm conical burrs grind coffee at 1.5 to 2.4 g/sec. depending on the setting. The Preciso burrs are exceptional for espresso, drip, manual brewing methods and Press Pot.
Gearbox: With GB 2.0, Baratza has significantly increased the strength and durability of the drive transmission while decreasing noise.
Grind Adjustment: Macro Adjust: Turn the hopper and with 40 settings you can quickly adjust from fine for espresso to coarse for French Press. Micro Adjust: A secondary micro adjust lever further divides each of the 40 Macro positions into 11 distinct steps.
Grinds Left in Grinder: To maximize freshness, the Preciso minimizes the ground coffee left in the grinder.
Brewing Methods: The Preciso is exceptional for espresso and manual pour brewing methods.
Motor: A powerful, high torque DC motor effortlessly drives the burrs. This motor turns slowly resulting in cool, quiet operation and permits long grinding duty-cycles.
Calibration: An innovative burr calibration system ensures that each grinder has the full range of grind.
Speed Control: With unique speed control, the Preciso uses a combination of gear and electronic speed reduction to control the rotation of the burr to 500 RPM. The electronic speed controller is adjustable from 405 to 495 RPM in the event that specific user conditions require modification of the speed.
Portaholder: The Preciso comes with the Portaholder which permits hands-free grinding into an espresso portafilter and makes clean up a snap.
Timer Switch: The Preciso has a sixty-second timer with segmented graphics, for easily repeatable grind times.
Cleaning: Burrs are easily removable with no tools, making cleaning very easy.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1) This machine is amazingly precise and consistent with an enormous range of grain sizes. So far as I am aware, nothing in this price range comes close. Compared to the 100 dollar grinder I had previously, this is 100x better. Shot after shot of espresso comes out perfectly, and you can make microscopic adjustments to fine tune the time it takes to pull each shot. Due to the control it gives you over grain size and the way it dispenses consistently, you get correspondingly greater control over flavor.
2) Baratza customer service is amazing. They respond same day, are very helpful and honest and will not make a fuss about sending out replacement parts when the machine breaks.
3) The machine is quite easy to repair when it breaks. The first time, it took 10-15 minutes to disassemble and maybe 5-10 minutes to reassemble when the new part arrived.
1) The machine will eventually break. This is guaranteed. Those ultra-precise controls over grain size are made possible by tiny pieces of plastic that are fitted together very tightly. If you get an unusually hard bean or rock or you adjust the machine while it isn't grinding (or you just get unlucky while it is grinding) you can easily break off one of 6 tiny tabs that control the course/fine internal adjustment mechanisms. You'll know this has happened when your espresso grind suddenly goes from fine dust to wood chips. The website has videos that walk you through taking apart your machine and finding which exact part has broken and then they will send you a replacement part that will arrive 1-2 days later. If this is annoying, you can send it in for warranty repair, which is slightly more of a hassle. I did the repairs myself when a tab broke off and it took about 10 minutes of careful work once the part arrived.
So here are the Pros of this unit: 1. A reliable grind as can be evidenced by the fine grind for espresso is so important. If it is too fine or too coarse, the coffee is wasted. You can adjust this unit with very fine click click control 2. The reputation for service is evident by the reviews. Breville on the other hand did not respond to us (I own 5 other Breville appliances and was a happy customer) 3. The small footprint is welcome as this and just a few other things are on my counter. Cons: 1. In the dark, when the lights are dim, and you are not trying to wake up your wife with the lights, you cant see the grind settings and then you have to turn on the lights and the wife gets not too happy! 2. The portafilter holder is not useful to receive the ground espresso. We just let the grounds go into the ground bin and it works just fine to pour the grind into the portafilter.
Now, as has been said before, recognize that a grinder is a consumable. It will break. When? If you store beans in your hopper and then make grind adjustments, you will absolutely break the fine plastic parts that adjust the grinder burrs. If you clean them regularly, it will help the life. If you allow for each grind to completely empty, your machine will last you as long as it has for us.
I ordered my Precise about a month ago. Set it up and was grinding coffee for about 3 weeks with no issues. One day I started playing with the different grind settings thinking that I needed a finer grind for my brewer. I dropped to the middle of the fine range and the grinder jammed. I cleaned it out and everything worked until I again tried a fine setting. Cleaned it again and everything repeated again once I went to a fine setting. If I went to a courser setting after clearing the grinder worked fine. Something else was wrong though because clearing the jam did not fix it immediately; the grinder motor was quitting when the jam occurred and would not run again unless the adjustment ring was moved to a course setting.
I emailed Baratza that evening and received a phone call from them the next day. Through that phone call and a series of emails back and forth, where I sent them pictures of the various grinds I was successful at along with pictures of the beans I was using, they determined that my adjustment ring was faulty. It was moving up and down on the fine settings causing the motor to cut out. They offered to send me a new adjustment ring if I wanted to replace it myself. The rep even emailed me the instructions for the process to see if it was something I was up to attempting. In all honesty it looked a little too involved and time consuming for my non-handyman self. I expressed that to the rep and he immediately replied "no problem" I will ship you a new unit today. I had a brand new grinder within a week (I could still use mine on courser settings so I was not out a grinder) along with a prepaid label to return the old unit. I could not ask for a better resolution nor more helpful service from everyone I dealt with at Baratza. Because of this customer service I cannot give this grinder enough stars!
The grinder itself does everything you need it to do. Personally for me I think there is too many adjustments as I pretty much now brew one way and I don't grind for espresso. I knew I wanted a burr grinder and I like being able to select a grind rather than guess how long to grind with a blade grinder for such and such grind but I think one of the other Baratza's (the Virtuosio perhaps) would have been enough for me. I just don't think I understand grinds enough to appreciate the ability to fine tune the grind so much. Maybe I will grow into it as I am becoming a coffee snob lol.
Most recent customer reviews
I bought this grinder because it...Read more
This thing is in the category of machines that will grind into a hopper for drip coffee.Read more